Oh for f**** sake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Fair point. Not all that many cars can. Even the landrovers painted to look like zebras you see at safari parks might take a bit of a battering.

If you filled the boot up with buns, and left it open, the mummy might just follow you out, and the baby would follow her.... Now, THAT would make for an interesting traffic report...

If I had a bootfull of buns, I'd have stayed at home with the Mother of all Toasting Forks.

SamNichols

Students drive me mad around 98% of the time, Arch. Whilst working on the computer clusters the other day, two girls spent over an hour looking at photos on Facebook saying: 'he's pretty fit'. I eventually got too annoyed and told them to shut up, which is a pretty aggressive response on my part.
Some people are just shallow, no matter how educated they are.

SamNichols said:
Students drive me mad around 98% of the time, Arch. Whilst working on the computer clusters the other day, two girls spent over an hour looking at photos on Facebook saying: 'he's pretty fit'. I eventually got too annoyed and told them to shut up, which is a pretty aggressive response on my part.

I'm appalled that youngsters intelligent enough to get to university should waste their time eyeing up members of the opposite sex. ;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
SamNichols said:

God yes. I feel I ought to apologise on behalf of my sex, but then, there're plenty of shallow lads too....

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Crackle said:
That's the objectionable part isn't it: It's not the wanting it's the reason for the wanting. Which statement makes yor blood boil more...

Actually I like Mercs, they're extremely well built, have a big service interval, low emissions, good ride comfort and their overall ownership cost is lower because they have good resale values. Expensive I know but we can afford it just now.

or

I really want the Merc SLK201, I just love the shape and the new ones got the new body styling I've just got to have that it'll really piss my neighbour off. 0-60 in just 5 secs, see off all those oiks in their Micras. Can't decide on brown leather or black. Do you know it's got dual climate control. Merc owners know a little bit more about cars you know.

Now I'd spend 25-30K on a car. Difference is I'd buy it 2nd hand at 5-8 years old and pay 30/40% of it's original cost at most.

For my 50th birthday last year, I bought myself a second-hand (four year old) Saab tid Arc, which just happened also to have a "personalised" number plate, personal to me anyway. I consider myself a very careful driver, among other things, never overtaking a cyclist unless I can give them about four feet clearance. It is built like a tank and goes like sh*t off the proverbial shovel (if you need to get out of trouble). I bought it because I like the shape, the colour, and fact that it is the top of the range. As Crackle says, it cost me 40% of the cost of a brand new one. I have always had much older cars, and felt it was time to get what I would like. I also choose it because of the other maniacs on the road, who seem to take every opportunity to do stupid manoevres, and I think my "tank" gives me a modicum of extra protection. Not everyone buys a car to impress other people.

Arch said:
God yes. I feel I ought to apologise on behalf of my sex, but then, there're plenty of shallow lads too....

Probably also looking at pictures on Facebook and rating females for "fitness." No such thing happened in my day - the Rule against Perpetuities was as effective as bromide and cold showers.

alecstilleyedye said:
but which was better?

If we were given a choice (which we weren't) then we'd have opted to have cold showers and eat bromide, rather than have to learn the Rule against Perpetuities.

SamNichols

It wasn't the shallowness that annoyed me, Facebook's major use is to check out hot friends of friends, and trying to engineer meetings. No, it was the fact that they were in the library talking for ages about inconsequential things. I should've just thrown some Nietzsche at their heads and hoped that it taught them something.
This is one of the top 30 universities in the world, and one of the top 5 in the UK and still they accept morons who talk in libraries.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Speicher said:
For my 50th birthday last year, I bought myself a second-hand (four year old) Saab tid Arc, which just happened also to have a "personalised" number plate, personal to me anyway. I consider myself a very careful driver, among other things, never overtaking a cyclist unless I can give them about four feet clearance. It is built like a tank and goes like sh*t off the proverbial shovel (if you need to get out of trouble). I bought it because I like the shape, the colour, and fact that it is the top of the range. As Crackle says, it cost me 40% of the cost of a brand new one. I have always had much older cars, and felt it was time to get what I would like. I also choose it because of the other maniacs on the road, who seem to take every opportunity to do stupid manoevres, and I think my "tank" gives me a modicum of extra protection. Not everyone buys a car to impress other people.

Well, that's fair enough, you bought it to please yourself, not to impress others. (And I may be wrong but I don't associate Saabs with crap drivers much - to me they have a quietly powerful, but sensible, sort of persona).

If I had the money, I'd buy a Citroen DS - that would be very much on the basic of "I just love its looks, its class etc". It wasn't so much the type of car in this case, or the price even, but the sort of image thing, and the huge importance being attached to it...

SamNichols said:
This is one of the top 30 universities in the world, and one of the top 5 in the UK and still they accept morons who talk in libraries.

Just be careful that they're not complaining on Facebook about university staff who post on cycling websites. ;)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Arch said:
Well, that's fair enough, you bought it to please yourself, not to impress others. (And I may be wrong but I don't associate Saabs with crap drivers much - to me they have a quietly powerful, but sensible, sort of persona).

I would not describe myself as powerful, quietly or otherwise, but sensible definately. If you put the back seats down, I think you would get a very baby elephant in it. But I might find it very distracting to have the back of my neck nuzzled by a small trunk, while trying to evade the mummy elephant who is not best pleased.

In the glove compartment I found, after I had bought the car, that there is a further small compartment, that is connected to the air-conditioning system. It is intended (I kid you not) for bars of chocolate to be kept cool in the summer.:smile:;) BTW not long after I bought the car, I was in a pub car park after a large family gathering, waiting to give someone a lift somewhere. Bearing in mind that I was holding the door open for them, why did they ask me "Is this your car?". Do people often stand at open car doors of cars that do not belong to them?:tongue::biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Speicher said:
In the glove compartment I found, after I had bought the car, that there is a further small compartment, that is connected to the air-conditioning system. It is intended (I kid you not) for bars of chocolate to be kept cool in the summer

Stop the press! That's the car for me!

Top Bottom