Oh for f**** sake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, Arch I thought that might persuade you. :biggrin: You cannot have mine tho, because of the number plate. Perhaps we could ask Dayvo how many days in a Swedish summer, would it be necessary to cool his my chocolate?;) (Brazil nuts of-course).:tongue:

Aint Skeered

alecstilleyedye said:
i don't mind shallow birds, as long as they have big tits ;)

Brilliant:biggrin:

Abitrary

Arch said:
I'd have thought that by the time someone gets to being a postgrad, they'd be a little less shallow.

I've got a mate who's a Phd and he reckons that after A Levels it's a constant decline in peoples common sense, interestingness and general intelligence until you arrive in the amoebic uselessness of doctoral students.

Abitrary

Quite the opposite. City and guilds and an NVQ were enough to stop any sort of premature decline into vapid pretentiousness.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
NickM said:
There are plenty of people for whom a higher degree is nothing more than a passport to a desired lifestyle...

I think that's me you're talking about. I'm doing an MA at the moment for three reasons:

a. It will be the passport to promotion should I wish it (i.e. more moolah and a better pension.

b. I thought it was about time I learned something about my job.

c. It's actually quite interesting, fascinating even, in parts.

Abitrary

Andy in Sig said:
I think that's me you're talking about. I'm doing an MA at the moment for three reasons:

a. It will be the passport to promotion should I wish it (i.e. more moolah and a better pension.

No. If you've got an degree, or even worse a masters or a doctorate, you're going to have to work twice as hard against the educational chip on their shoulderers, who are going to be trying to work twice as hard as you in the first place. I wouldn't even bother putting it on my CV after you've got your foot in the door.

Unless you want to be working 8 times as hard for the rest of your natural life.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Abitrary said:
Quite the opposite. City and guilds and an NVQ were enough to stop any sort of premature decline into vapid pretentiousness.

Not from where I'm standing, matey!;)

Sorry. Shouldn't be flippant. No offence meant.

Abitrary

TheDoctor said:
Not from where I'm standing, matey!;)

Sorry. Shouldn't be flippant. No offence meant.

No you shouldn't be flippant.

In all my years of working I've seen an NVQ get further than any doctorate.

If you've got a doctorate, and are still in in education, then you probably don't know what pressurised team working is. You think you will earn big bucks. But you will not.

I'd much rather interview a kid out of school with a bronze swimming certificate that someone who had been taking drugs to age 28.

Abitrary

i'm just saying that people who have university stuff shouldnt expect ot walk into most jobs where they will be less able due to less experience

Abitrary

hehehe, i'm just laughing at people who go to university and do extra degrees in stuff that means nothing, unless its law or doctors or architects or something

You're better off getting a job at 18 and fulfilling at least half a dream

simoncc

Abitrary said:
No. If you've got an degree, or even worse a masters or a doctorate, you're going to have to work twice as hard against the educational chip on their shoulderers, who are going to be trying to work twice as hard as you in the first place. I wouldn't even bother putting it on my CV after you've got your foot in the door.

Unless you want to be working 8 times as hard for the rest of your natural life.

Most MAs are a bit of a joke, especially the popular ones for older people like management or education - noddy courses to give someone a year off from classroom teaching or perhaps a day a week away from the office. They seem to have as much intellectual content as a PGCE to me, but many employers, in the public sector especially, seem to value paper qualifications even if they are meaningless.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'd like to see some evidence for "most" MAs being a "bit of a joke". I'm quite prepared to accept that that is the case given the ludicrous nature of some first degree courses nowadays but evidence would nonetheless be welcome. Certainly I find that the one I'm doing at the moment is a bit of a head stretcher although I dare say it would be possible to coast a bit and scrape through. But come to think of it, coasting always seems to imply inherent ability or already acquired expertise.

Top Bottom