Oh my aching hands!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've done my first commute on my bitsa bike today - my first ride on drop bars for years. I used to ride drop bars all the time because that's what my bikes had, and never had a problem.

Today though my hands were really aching after 15 minutes - is it just a case of getting used to them again do you think, or will I just find that it's one of those things I could do at 20 and can't do now?

It strikes me the bars (scavenged from a late 70s Peugeot) are rather thin, in fact they have no tape at all on one side as I had to strip it to get them off the Peugeot. I think thicker tape will help - but any other advice of things to check would be much appreciated. I have the bottoms of the bars parallel to the floor and the tops of them are perhaps an inch or so lower than the saddle.

Thanks in advance.

if your going to re-tape the bars , wrap some old inner tube round them first if you want a bit of extra padding:thumbsup:

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
if your going to re-tape the bars , wrap some old inner tube round them first if you want a bit of extra padding:thumbsup:
I have an old inner tube saved for that very reason :smile: I think I'm going for old school cloth tape with plenty underneath it, but the way it felt today I might wrap a fresh inner tube and pump it up a bit :smile:

Looking at the bike now I think it might be because of the seat being higher than the bars - when the bars were made people didn't have much seatpost showing so bars and saddle were pretty much level. Perhaps I need a longer stem .

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
a longer stem will move your upper trunk forward and put more weight on your hands
you need to get weight OFF your wrists

also tilt the bars UP a bit - so raising the hoods of the brakes - and ride the hoods

are you on 23c tyres .?
i have 23c at 100psi, and 85psi for my 25c on my other Peugeot [same frame geometry]
23c rattle my teeth

i have Dupuytren's contracture
i wrapped the bars in gel cork tape - then to get a period 'look' on my Peugeot
i wrapped cotton tape over the black cork - perfect
wfs-09-07-2014-12-56-11-100_2968_zpsa513b8ec.jpg

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
a longer stem will move your upper trunk forward and put more weight on your hands
you need to get weight OFF your wrists

also tilt the bars UP a bit - so raising the hoods of the brakes - and ride the hoods

are you on 23c tyres .?
i have 23c at 100psi, and 85psi for my 25c on my other Peugeot [same frame geometry]
23c rattle my teeth

i have Dupuytren's contracture
i wrapped the bars in gel cork tape - then to get a period 'look' on my Peugeot
i wrapped cotton tape over the black cork - perfect
wfs-09-07-2014-12-56-11-100_2968_zpsa513b8ec.jpg

I have 38c tyres - it's a hybrid frame and wheels with drop bars, an ahead stem converter and a kind of cobbled-together drive-train. When the bars were attached to the Peugeot and on 25c tyres it was unbearable!

I've actually moved the levers around to make the tops level because I found the cables chaffed otherwise, and it felt like a bit of a reach to put the brakes on. Ultimately though I think I might replace them with aero ones with rubber hoods.

Top Bottom