Oh no... No O2!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beepbeep

My wife took out a pay monthly o2 contract in August having been recommend this provider by the local phone shop and also by looking at the coverage map of where we live....

3 month later we cancelled the contract as we had no signal within 4 miles ( measured with gps ) of our home. She uses the phone for work so it was pretty useless having it. When we rang customer services we were given different stories by different members of staff. Until I finally got through to a network agent who admitted there was a lack of masts in our but said '' don't worry we are looking at getting planning permission to have one built''. I nearly laughed myself off the chair...I then spoke with another agent in networks who admitted the coverage Map was wrong as one of their engineers had been carrying out checks in my area as a result of my complaint...They agreed to let me terminate the contract with no penalties. The whole experience with 02 was an absolute disgrace..They lies through their teeth at every opportunity. My wife moved her pone to Vodafone and got a better contract at a reduced monthly rate....I wouldn't touch 02 with a greasy barge pole..

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You can not rely on any mobile provider 100%. I have 2 phones. One is Vodaphone which is my main one but for £5 per month I also have BT on a cheap Moto E. Living on my own and being often in places where I would not be found for a long time I feel safer with a backup. I have had a couple of near misses where I was not injured but the circumstances gave me serious pause for thought. A broken leg for example particularly in winter would probably kill me.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Press release at https://mb.cision.com/Main/15448/2694397/959040.pdf

Here's an extract:

Following network disturbances in a number of Ericsson’s (NASDAQ:ERIC) customer networks, Ericsson has taken immediate action to minimize impact and support the restoration of services.

During December 6, 2018, Ericsson has identified an issue in certain nodes in the core network resulting in network disturbances for a limited number of customers in multiple countries using two specific software versions of the SGSN–MME (Serving GPRS Support Node – Mobility Management Entity).

Börje Ekholm, President and CEO, Ericsson, says: "The faulty software that has caused these issues is being decommissioned and we apologize not only to our customers but also to their customers. We work hard to ensure that our customers can limit the impact and restore their services as soon as possible."

An initial root cause analysis indicates that the main issue was an expired certificate in the software versions installed with these customers. A complete and comprehensive root cause analysis is still in progress. Our focus is now on solving the immediate issues.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Press release at https://mb.cision.com/Main/15448/2694397/959040.pdf

Here's an extract:

Following network disturbances in a number of Ericsson’s (NASDAQ:ERIC) customer networks, Ericsson has taken immediate action to minimize impact and support the restoration of services.

During December 6, 2018, Ericsson has identified an issue in certain nodes in the core network resulting in network disturbances for a limited number of customers in multiple countries using two specific software versions of the SGSN–MME (Serving GPRS Support Node – Mobility Management Entity).

Börje Ekholm, President and CEO, Ericsson, says: "The faulty software that has caused these issues is being decommissioned and we apologize not only to our customers but also to their customers. We work hard to ensure that our customers can limit the impact and restore their services as soon as possible."

An initial root cause analysis indicates that the main issue was an expired certificate in the software versions installed with these customers. A complete and comprehensive root cause analysis is still in progress. Our focus is now on solving the immediate issues.
Thanks, but I have absolutely no idea what any of that means.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My GiffGaff is working apart from texts. It keeps sending them, but pings up on my phone that it's not been sent.
No1 daughter just received 9 identical messages from me :laugh:

beepbeep

I have an old HTC with a ''ROAMING SIM'' The type used in trackers and alarms...Its for emergency while I'm out and about and guaranteed to find a signal. It uses ALL the networks. They are about £15 with about an hours worth of calls on it but this venerable runs out if yo don't use it and it will not disconnect through lack of use.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have an old HTC with a ''ROAMING SIM'' The type used in trackers and alarms...Its for emergency while I'm out and about and guaranteed to find a signal. It uses ALL the networks. They are about £15 with about an hours worth of calls on it but this venerable runs out if yo don't use it and it will not disconnect through lack of use.
venerable?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Have to agree with @Markymark as although it is sad, the fact is many people now NEED their phones.
On the other hand I was just listening to an interview where a taxi driver was due to take a wedding group to a stately home and told his boss that he couldnt do it without his phone-satnav.
What ever happened to A-Z or maybe (shock horror) asking someone for directions.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What ever happened to A-Z
I can't remember the last time I saw an actual A-Z but their website says there are 42 county A-Z books, some branded as A-Z and others branded as Phillips. England alone has 48 counties, so it seems like they don't cover the whole country any more. The focus seems to be on online mapping now.

I've got offline maps from OSM.org on my phone for my local area. I'm not sure why a taxi driver wouldn't have something like that as a fallback for poor signal areas anyway.

Top Bottom