Old guys and superbikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Do you like riding them?
Are you still comfortable riding them (i.e. no issues that might require a bike fit or new frame) ?
Do you need to sell them?
If the answer to the first two questions is yes, and the third no, the obvious thing to do is.....
n+1.
I intend to part with my Viner and Litespeed when one of us conks out.

How about a velomobile? The one UK owner with this particular model (After Seven) I know of is 77, doesn't ride bikes since a major stroke, and can still get up 10% hills. He lives in East Sussex, not exactly a flat part of the world...
View attachment 577072

I have an Irish friend who switched to a velomobile about 4 years ago now. I was looking at his average speeds the other day. His average speed over last 12,000km was 46km/h. I’ll let that sink in, when it comes to talk of super bikes.

A 78 year old friend of mine who has been riding, including time trialling since the age of 16, was a bit concerned that he was struggling on some of the steeper hills so he went to the doctors and was diagnosed with heart problems and told to take just a bit more care.

He does not want to stop cycling, and he thought for a while of converting one of his two Mercians to an e-bike with a kit. Luckily he saw sense and decided instead to go out and buy a new Cannondal Synapse e-bike and he now chooses which bike to use based on the terrain.

He hopes to get at least ten years use out of it.

Cycling_Samurai

I have an Irish friend who switched to a velomobile about 4 years ago now. I was looking at his average speeds the other day. His average speed over last 12,000km was 46km/h. I’ll let that sink in, when it comes to talk of super bikes.
Good on him! I'm only in the low 20s mph. I'm wanting to hit 30 mph which that chap is almost there! I'm impressed. I have a CAAD12 Dura-Ace / 105 hybrid and keep training for more.^_^

Zipp2001

Veteran
Very soon to be 61 and still roll out my old super bikes from the early 90's
Zipp2001 x 2.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Driving home with a boot full of labrador and shopping yesterday I saw one on the road for the very first time, just North of Milton keynes. I gave my best furious "I'm a man of the pedals too" wave, but he was too busy being serious to even nod back.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Very soon to be 61 and still roll out my old super bikes from the early 90's View attachment 577216 View attachment 577216

They look like the kind of bike a clown would ride at circus and as they go round various bits fall off.

Nice looking bike but possibly not great if you like chatting and riding with mates ?

Top Bottom