Old guys and superbikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Found out I am an octogenarian
What, you got 8 tentacles and squirt ink when attacked?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I ride with guys in their 80s and many of them have top drawer bikes. Age is irrelevant. Don't wish yourself 'old'. According to the latest WHO categories you still fall into 'middle-aged'! :

"World Health Organization (WHO) had declared that 65 years old is still considered young. Before, based on the Friendly Societies Act (1875) in Britain, old was defined by age of 50. The UN has not adopted a standard criterion but lately 60 years old was referred as the border age to the word “old”. However the health organization had done a new research recently, according to average health quality and life expectancy, and defined a new criterion that divides human age as follows:

• 0-17 years old: underage
• 18-65 years old: youth/young people
• 66-79 years old: middle-aged
• 80-99 years old: elderly/senior
• 100+ years old: long-lived elderly"
:laugh::bicycle:

You left off immortal from the end of the list.

Drago

Legendary Member
My all-time best bike ever made!
Its thirsty, needs a new back tyre every 2nd year (2000-3000 miles), is an absolute anvil when it comes to rolling it in and out the garage.

But crank the gas in 6th gear at 25mpg and it reaches for the horizon, grabs it, scrunches it up and thows it back over my shoulder in such a casually brutal manner you can't help but smile. If you can be bothered to tread down a gear or two when overtaking a photocopier sales rep in a 3 series then by the time you need to change up again you'll be halfway across the galactic disc. Better torque to weight than a Rocket III, and much better looking too. After all, its the only bike that Joseph Dredd or Max Rockatansky would dream of riding off duty.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I decided that I am too old to be riding superbikes. So I put my 2012 Madone with manual Dura Ace (R9000), my 2018 Emonda with Ultegra Di2 and my 2015 Colnago CLX 3.0 with Dura Ace Di2 on the market. No one has any money so they are likely to be on the market for a long time. After they do I will consider selling the Look KG485 with manual group that weighs 16 lbs. It isn't like everyone on the road isn't faster than a 76 year old. And there isn't a lot of Extra Large bikes in high demand.
Do you like riding them?
Are you still comfortable riding them (i.e. no issues that might require a bike fit or new frame) ?
Do you need to sell them?
If the answer to the first two questions is yes, and the third no, the obvious thing to do is.....
n+1.
I intend to part with my Viner and Litespeed when one of us conks out.

How about a velomobile? The one UK owner with this particular model (After Seven) I know of is 77, doesn't ride bikes since a major stroke, and can still get up 10% hills. He lives in East Sussex, not exactly a flat part of the world...
after7_hajo_daniel-1.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
To be honest can't wait for winter to end so I can get off the heavier winter bike and on to the light summer carbon job with better gears more aerodynamic frame, wheels etc.

I'm no spring chicken but to me that is when the "superbike" comes into its own, a lot lighter for hills, a lot more aerodynamic so easier / faster on the flat.

I may look "out of place" on it but it makes cycling a lot easier for me, I certainly wouldn't sell my best bike and be happy settling for slower / harder rides on something that "befits my age"

davelincs

I'm no spring chicken but to me that is when the "superbike" comes into its own, a lot lighter for hills, a lot more aerodynamic so easier / faster on the flat.

I may look "out of place" on it but it makes cycling a lot easier for me, I certainly wouldn't sell my best bike and be happy settling for slower / harder rides on something that "befits my age"
Nobody looks out of place on a bike, there’s nothing wrong with having a nice light / aero bike or two😀, the thing is , let’s say autumnal chickens deserve it
well thats my theory anyway

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When I no longer want to ride a light superbike, it might be time for an e-bike. I met four chaps out on a ride at Boyton a couple of years ago. They explained they were in their 70s and 80s and one of them had just got a fantastic new bike. Fingers crossed one day I'll be in that number.

2yrs back i got passed by a 72yr old lady that looked about 60yrs old, met her at a coffee shop later on and turned out she was into Triathlons and still did a couple a year, fit as a fiddle:notworthy: Reckon she'll be going forever

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Interesting thread. I have a time-trial bike. It gets used for time-trials, nothing more. I have bikes that will comfortably carry me for 100 miles, 300 miles, 500 miles, and more. I'm not sure what use I'd have for these 'superbikes'.

I had my first superbike when I was young and it wouldn't have been out of place in a pro peleton.
The stakes have definitely been upped over the decades and the pro issue bike seems hugely overpriced.

Much rather have a decent bike or several and spend the savings on taking the bikes nice places. You never forget your first alpine climb. You probably won't remember the rear mech you used.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I had my first superbike when I was young and it wouldn't have been out of place in a pro peleton.
The stakes have definitely been upped over the decades and the pro issue bike seems hugely overpriced.

Much rather have a decent bike or several and spend the savings on taking the bikes nice places. You never forget your first alpine climb. You probably won't remember the rear mech you used.

Depends whether the mech fell off.

Top Bottom