Old v/s Modern bikes

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by johnnyb47, 3 Dec 2018.

1. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Indeed, steel bikes do that.

Drago likes this.
  2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

The speed you ride on a commute or a leisure ride will often remain constant whether you are on a steel bike or a 3kg lighter carbon machine because your pace is mostly governed by your perception of motion. But you will use more energy on to keep the heavier bike moving at that speed.

The law of physics will dictate that.

Dogtrousers, Drago and Blue Hills like this.
  3. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat bloke, pedalling slowly and enjoying the ride.

My main concern is that old steel bikes come with terrible old brakes...........

I have two old steel bikes and one modern bike with hydraulic disc brakes..........

Dogtrousers likes this.
  4. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

I volunteer in a community bike workshop and it is very unusual to find old aluminium chainsets where the teeth on the most used rings are not badly worn in a couple of places, especially mountain bikes, less so on road bikes. We spend a lot of time cannibalising chainrings. OTOH we virtually never come across even very old road bikes where the steel chainrings are worn to a significant extent.

5. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Until its time to coast, then the greater interia of a heavier bike thpakes back the advantage. Kinetic energy.

The law of physics will dictate that.

DCBassman likes this.
  6. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Am I reading that correctly, are you saying there are a few teeth on the ring worn more than in other parts? Not all the teeth look the same on a lot of new rings.

7. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Yes. For some reason we find that teeth in a couple of places wear more than others, more so on mountain bikes. I have always assumed this relates to chain position when the arms are horizontal, putting more pressure on the teeth at the top of the ring when people do not apply equal pressure for the full circle.

I am happy for someone to come up with a more technical answer to an issue we see a lot.

Drago likes this.
  8. screenman

They are there to assist changes across the rings. A little bit of googling will tell you a lot more.

9. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Fine if you can spend 50% of a ride coasting.

10. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Yep, works pretty well for me.

11. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Guru

Yes, that does happen. On plain singlespeed rings you can move the ring around the spider to get more life from it. Sprockets on s/s, hub geared or fixed bikes suffer the same problem if the number of teeth on the ring is divisible by the number of teeth on the sprocket. This is why prime numbered rings like 47T are often recommended.

Rusty Nails likes this.
  12. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Two or three teeth worn to half the depth of those around them, in two places on the ring, are there to assist changes? That must explain it.

13. screenman

That is correct.

14. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Having googled it I see your point. I will definitely look through our pile of old chainsets at the workshop next week to look at the positioning of those 'worn' teeth.

Blue Hills likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice