Olive oil for the gears and chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I wouldnt use it I think it will emulsify into a gooey mess first time it rains.Be ok as a get you home fix if you needed it but I would wash it off and replace with something more able to stand British weather.
^^^If you mix it with water, then whisk it with chains, you won't believe the chain's not buttered.

Drago

Legendary Member
We could cut out the middle man.

I-Cant-Believe-Its-Not-Butter-new-name-798220.jpg

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Difference between mineral oil and vegetable oi is stability.
Vegetable oil will soon oxidise especially in contact with metals forming a variety if volatile compunds and gums. You know that sticky residue of old oil you get on the outside of an old veg oil container or fat fryer? That will soon be in your chain.
Yup. Did a trip across South America where there were a lot of dirt roads and no bike shops. It made chain care very difficult. There were lots of greasy joe type truck stops though so we'd clean our chains as best we could then coat them with olive oil from the greasy joe. Didn't last long but really it only had to last until the next truck stop. Did a job.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[QUOTE 4925622, member: 9609"]what about Cod lover Oil ? I rub that into my knees before a very hilly ride - ifit works for my knees I guess it would be good for the chain.[/QUOTE]
I quite like cod. Love is maybe too strong a word.

Drago

Legendary Member
Oh no, he mentioned cod. Stand by for all the fish puns all over the plaice.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
fark me.
Every time I think he couldn't come up with a stupider idea. he does.
Poundland sell chain lube.

Yes, anything vaguely oily will work in extremis, but something made for the purpose costs a pound.

snorri

Legendary Member
Difference between mineral oil and vegetable oi is stability.
Vegetable oil will soon oxidise especially in contact with metals forming a variety if volatile compunds and gums. You know that sticky residue of old oil you get on the outside of an old veg oil container or fat fryer? That will soon be in your chain.
Experts Pffffff...........they're so last year.

^_^

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are many many different weights of distillates of petroleum and then probably lots of blends and deodorised versions. The lighter weights will evaporate but the heavier won't. Even diesel oil evaporates slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom