1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olive oil/Rape Seed oil

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Blue Hills, 16 Feb 2018.

1. Canola, over here. I have not experimented with canola on a bicycle chain, although olive oil was heartily recommended on another thread. Further testing.
    ADarkDraconis and Heltor Chasca like this.
  2. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

Richmond ,Surrey
    Italian food , v nice ,
    But ,
    How did that song go ?

'Macaroni , Ministerone ?
    Ohhhh give us a bash of the Bangers n Mash me Mother used to make ''
    classic33 likes this.
  3. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

Richmond ,Surrey
    Interesting your use of the word
    'Ickle' the only person I have ever use that word in my life is my GF , she hails from S Yorkshire bordering on Nottinghamshire ,
    Would you be from that neck of the woods ?
  4. OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Maybe you should worry ozboz - a fatal slip by bonefish.
    Gravity Aided, classic33 and ozboz like this.
  5. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

52 Festive Road
    No, but I'm something of a magpie with words and phrases so will have picked it up somewhere in my past :smile:
    Gravity Aided likes this.
  6. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Ickle fairly widespread from Notts to Northants AFAIK.

I thought rapeseed didn't seem to have the benefits of olive, cold at least, but it wasn't yet understood why. Most oil threads on health forums I read don't get far, though, before a butterball bounces in claiming verbosely that all oils are death and butter is natural... yet you never see cows churning it theirself ;)
  7. OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Can't help but wonder how the health benefits of olive oil were established.

One thing I can't help wondering about with regard to Italian habit of chucking it on everything (along with salt :ohmy:) :-

If you have a bowl of salad or veg in front of you is it healthier to eat it as it is or with the olive oil added?

I can't help but think the former.
    Last edited: 18 Feb 2018
    ADarkDraconis and classic33 like this.
  8. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

There is a reason why 'essential fatty acids' are called 'essential', you know! :okay:

I think that the Italians know what they are doing (or stumbled across a healthy diet by accident!) ...
    raleighnut likes this.
  9. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

And is Olive oil high in essential fatty acids?
  10. ColinJ

I sense a cunning trap ...! :whistle::laugh:
    Fab Foodie likes this.
  11. ColinJ

12. OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

but lots of things are essential colin (including salts) but surely it's a matter of how much?
    I'm not sure Italians know everything about food at all to be honest - the way they chuck salt around/into stuff can be downright alarming

(though this does give them the excuse to have yet more tests).

So are you sure about this?
  13. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Lard for frying anything except for chips, which require beef dripping. And I suppose goose grease is alright for roasties.
    Last edited: 17 Feb 2018
  14. oldwheels

oldwheels Über Member

Beef dripping on toast with marmite. Non of this namby pamby foreign stuff.
    Gravity Aided and Mort like this.
  15. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

lost somewhere
    I attempted to use some goose fat for Christmas lunch roast potatoes when it was being pushed by Delia a few years ago. It was a total soggy disaster. I've never been back.
    Gravity Aided and Blue Hills like this.