Olive oil/Rape Seed oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Italian food , v nice ,
But ,
How did that song go ?

'Macaroni , Ministerone ?
Ohhhh give us a bash of the Bangers n Mash me Mother used to make ''
;)

ozboz

Guru
Note that the regular 1ltr oils (in Aldi, Lidl et al) are usually 100% rapeseed oil, so don't buy the ickle bottles of rapeseed oil being sold at stupid prices - it's the same stuff!

Interesting your use of the word
'Ickle' the only person I have ever use that word in my life is my GF , she hails from S Yorkshire bordering on Nottinghamshire ,
Would you be from that neck of the woods ?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Interesting your use of the word
'Ickle' the only person I have ever use that word in my life is my GF , she hails from S Yorkshire bordering on Nottinghamshire ,
Would you be from that neck of the woods ?
Ickle fairly widespread from Notts to Northants AFAIK.

I thought rapeseed didn't seem to have the benefits of olive, cold at least, but it wasn't yet understood why. Most oil threads on health forums I read don't get far, though, before a butterball bounces in claiming verbosely that all oils are death and butter is natural... yet you never see cows churning it theirself ;)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Can't help but wonder how the health benefits of olive oil were established.

One thing I can't help wondering about with regard to Italian habit of chucking it on everything (along with salt :ohmy:) :-

If you have a bowl of salad or veg in front of you is it healthier to eat it as it is or with the olive oil added?

I can't help but think the former.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There is a reason why 'essential fatty acids' are called 'essential', you know! :okay:

I think that the Italians know what they are doing (or stumbled across a healthy diet by accident!) ...
And is Olive oil high in essential fatty acids?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
There is a reason why 'essential fatty acids' are called 'essential', you know! :okay:

I think that the Italians know what they are doing (or stumbled across a healthy diet by accident!) ...
but lots of things are essential colin (including salts) but surely it's a matter of how much?
I'm not sure Italians know everything about food at all to be honest - the way they chuck salt around/into stuff can be downright alarming

(though this does give them the excuse to have yet more tests).

So are you sure about this?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 5154786, member: 259"]Lard for frying anything except for chips, which require beef dripping. And I suppose goose grease is alright for roasties.[/QUOTE]
I attempted to use some goose fat for Christmas lunch roast potatoes when it was being pushed by Delia a few years ago. It was a total soggy disaster. I've never been back.

Top Bottom