Olive oil/Rape Seed oil

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Blue Hills, 16 Feb 2018.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

At least I tried, FFS....:cry:

2. PK99

PK99 Guru

Your fat was not hot enough.

3. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

This^^^^^

PK99 likes this.
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

That's entirely possible. We were in a strange kitchen that Christmas. The oven temperature was all over the place according to my digital meat thermometer.

PK99 likes this.
  5. ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

It all gets very complicated!

Let's face it, doctors had been telling us for 30+ years that fat is very bad for us but then eventually did a u-turn. Processed carbs are now the baddies ... :wacko:

I think that a lot of poor science was done and is now being undone. A confusion between correlation and causation ...

I suggest reading about fats, carbohydrates, vitamins etc and drawing your own conclusions. I definitely recommend reading Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox, which contains lots of very interesting information and references to hundreds of research papers. (Currently only £1.24 for the Kindle app/devices.)

classic33 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

I hate to break this to you/upset your digestion but wiki says that marmite was invented by a german scientist. Whether he intended it to be a food product I don't know.

7. OP
    OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Lots of truth in your post above colin. I followed that barmy advice for a while and ended up putting on a fair bit of weight from a pasta heavy diet. And I well remember half buying into the theory behind a female work colleague's latest wonder diet which was basically built on the theory that you could eat as much bread as you wanted :eek:

ColinJ likes this.
  8. flake99please

flake99please Make mine a '99'

Can avocado oil get an honourable mention in this thread? My wife & I prefer to use it over olive oil.

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  9. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

You should also try it on its own sometimes :whistle:

flake99please likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

You mean without the olive oil and without the wife?

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  11. Yet the butter and cream are in the whole milk, along with lots of other things.
    https://www.iowastatefair.org/about/butter-cow/
    I'll show you Iowa's butter cow, as the Illinois State Fair butter cow was made by Prairie Farms, which is just wrong!

12. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Lard for frying things like bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, bread. Half oil (rapeseed), half butter for frying everything else. Beef dripping for roasties (with a tablespoon of garlic oil).

I only use olive oil for salad dressings, dips or for making bread. But more often than not, it's ordinary rapeseed oil (Tesco's own brand), either straight from the bottle or from the large jar in which I store my preserved garlic.

Garlic oil is the bees knees :hungry:

Fab Foodie, Gravity Aided and User259 like this.
  13. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

[QUOTE 5160491, member: 259"]Rapeseed often gets recommended for cast iron pans but I find if you heat it very high it smells a bit fishy, so we tend to use lard for searing now. It's not a problem at lower temperatures though.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm, I have neither cast iron pans that aren't enamelled, nor much of a sense of smell due to sinus probs. So can't say I've ever noticed :laugh:

User259 likes this.
  14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

You need one of these,

5216KEY.jpg

the one 'snagette' is being Cast Iron they rust if you wash em in detergent.

15. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Mmmm yes, it's just a "wipe clean after use" kind of thing then... I use heavyweight stainless steel pans for frying - which I can also wang in the oven as they're all metal.

Gravity Aided likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice