Olive oil/Rape Seed oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I attempted to use some goose fat for Christmas lunch roast potatoes when it was being pushed by Delia a few years ago. It was a total soggy disaster. I've never been back.

Your fat was not hot enough.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
but lots of things are essential colin (including salts) but surely it's a matter of how much?
I'm not sure Italians know everything about food at all to be honest - the way they chuck salt around/into stuff can be downright alarming

(though this does give them the excuse to have yet more tests).

So are you sure about this?
It all gets very complicated!

Let's face it, doctors had been telling us for 30+ years that fat is very bad for us but then eventually did a u-turn. Processed carbs are now the baddies ... :wacko:

I think that a lot of poor science was done and is now being undone. A confusion between correlation and causation ...

I suggest reading about fats, carbohydrates, vitamins etc and drawing your own conclusions. I definitely recommend reading Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox, which contains lots of very interesting information and references to hundreds of research papers. (Currently only £1.24 for the Kindle app/devices.)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Lots of truth in your post above colin. I followed that barmy advice for a while and ended up putting on a fair bit of weight from a pasta heavy diet. And I well remember half buying into the theory behind a female work colleague's latest wonder diet which was basically built on the theory that you could eat as much bread as you wanted :eek:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Can avocado oil get an honourable mention in this thread? My wife & I prefer to use it over olive oil.
You should also try it on its own sometimes :whistle:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ickle fairly widespread from Notts to Northants AFAIK.

I thought rapeseed didn't seem to have the benefits of olive, cold at least, but it wasn't yet understood why. Most oil threads on health forums I read don't get far, though, before a butterball bounces in claiming verbosely that all oils are death and butter is natural... yet you never see cows churning it theirself ;)
Yet the butter and cream are in the whole milk, along with lots of other things.
https://www.iowastatefair.org/about/butter-cow/
I'll show you Iowa's butter cow, as the Illinois State Fair butter cow was made by Prairie Farms, which is just wrong!

Lard for frying things like bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, bread. Half oil (rapeseed), half butter for frying everything else. Beef dripping for roasties (with a tablespoon of garlic oil).

I only use olive oil for salad dressings, dips or for making bread. But more often than not, it's ordinary rapeseed oil (Tesco's own brand), either straight from the bottle or from the large jar in which I store my preserved garlic.

Garlic oil is the bees knees :hungry:

[QUOTE 5160491, member: 259"]Rapeseed often gets recommended for cast iron pans but I find if you heat it very high it smells a bit fishy, so we tend to use lard for searing now. It's not a problem at lower temperatures though.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm, I have neither cast iron pans that aren't enamelled, nor much of a sense of smell due to sinus probs. So can't say I've ever noticed :laugh:

Top Bottom