Olive oil/Rape Seed oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So is British rape seed oil healthier than the long lauded olive oil?

I note (and peering at the labels seems to confirm this) that rape seed oil is lower in fat and saturated fat than olive oil.

And it smokes at a higher temperature, which in theory makes it better for stir fries.

Can also be used for frying of course, which I do a fair bit of in preparing my italian pasta sauces.

Must admit that a small evil part of me would love to tell a few Italians of my acquaintance that olive oil is cancerous :smile:

So over to you expert folk.

iandg

Legendary Member
Don't know but we use rapeseed oil because wickerwoman prefers it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rapeseed and olive oil both have the same fat content. Their fatty acid composition is similar, both being high in mono-unsaturates ( as is lard incidentally).
Health and caloriewise they can be very close.
For frying use rapeseed not olive oil. In fact for many flavoured Italian sauces I don’t see the value in using good olive oil at all.

classic33

Leg End Member
Rapeseed oil vs. olive oil
Comparing to the olive oil, rapeseed oil contains more omega 3 fatty acids than olive oil (10 times more actually). This doesn’t mean you should now stop using olive oil and use rapeseed oil instead, not at all. Each of the oils has its place in cooking and food preparation.

Extra virgin olive oil is especially great in salad dressings and for drizzling on top of the food – using rapeseed oil instead just wouldn’t work the same.

Rapeseed oil is good to use for things like roasting, frying and baking since extra virgin olive oil is not suitable for high-temperature cooking (high temperatures modifies its molecules and degrade its quality).

When looking at the amount of saturated fat each oil contains, we can see that rapeseed oil contains over half the amount of saturated fat of olive oil. Both oils contain Vitamin E, but it’s the rapeseed oil which contains more. They certainly both have the place in the kitchen, just use them accordingly.

http://www.behealthynow.co.uk/nutrition/rapeseed-oil-nutrition-health-benefits/#ixzz57JO7ER4R

If you really want to feck your Italian chums over just tell them their mum hates them

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks classic, yes you confirmed my idea that rape seed oil is lower in saturated fat.

As for:

>>Extra virgin olive oil is especially great in salad dressings and for drizzling on top of the food

not criticising your post but that's not my thing - Italians seem obsessed with pouring olive oil over salad - I don't understand it at all - I have no need of it and surely it's still oil? I'd rather eat salad raw as nature/your personal god intended, or maybe sprinkle some balsamic vinegar on it.

Am struggling personally to think why I should bother much with the olive oil any more.

On my second bottle of rapeseed oil - first came from Aldi, this latest one from Lidl - proudly proclaims that it's from Norfolk so brings back happy memories of recent cycling there as well :smile:

iandg

Legendary Member
Thanks for calling out fab foody's smut (and most of our minds must have wandered the same way) but can you please ask Ms wicker about its possible dietary benefits over the noble olive?

I don't think that they've been considered, she prefers the flavours. When you eat a 'generally' healthy diet you don't consider the occasional deviation into something that might be less healthy - though I get a lot of flack about the amount of eggs and cheese that I eat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom