Olive oil/Rape Seed oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
So is British rape seed oil healthier than the long lauded olive oil?

I note (and peering at the labels seems to confirm this) that rape seed oil is lower in fat and saturated fat than olive oil.

And it smokes at a higher temperature, which in theory makes it better for stir fries.

Can also be used for frying of course, which I do a fair bit of in preparing my italian pasta sauces.

Must admit that a small evil part of me would love to tell a few Italians of my acquaintance that olive oil is cancerous :smile:

So over to you expert folk.

Hmm....

Problem is, after you have been using it for several years, feeling all healthy and smug, some "expert" will publish "research" saying it is toxic. This applies to any food or drink product IMHO. ;)

Akh, I subscribe to the school that says everything is fine in moderation - including moderation.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I use Rapeseed oil, and buy a big tub of it every now and again (lasts ages). I used to get it at the farmers market but they didn't attend it when I needed a replacement so mail order from Oxfordshire over half term. I use it for general cooking but also in a few cake recipes and bread etc.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I use Rapeseed oil, and buy a big tub of it every now and again (lasts ages). I used to get it at the farmers market but they didn't attend it when I needed a replacement so mail order from Oxfordshire over half term. I use it for general cooking but also in a few cake recipes and bread etc.
Why would you need to mail order rape seed oil?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Lard for frying things like bacon, eggs, sausages, black pudding, bread. Half oil (rapeseed), half butter for frying everything else. Beef dripping for roasties (with a tablespoon of garlic oil).

I only use olive oil for salad dressings, dips or for making bread. But more often than not, it's ordinary rapeseed oil (Tesco's own brand), either straight from the bottle or from the large jar in which I store my preserved garlic.

Garlic oil is the bees knees :hungry:
Spot-on.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why would you need to mail order rape seed oil?
I've just got used to this particular brand, and liked it. And when they used to turn up to the market it was nice buying it from the producers directly (well their employees). And you don't see big bottle of it in the supermarket. I've been buying it for the last 6 years and it's become much more common over that time.

Top Bottom