Olympics overspend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Olympic debt is a massive burden. Montreal actually paid off the last of the 1976 debt in 2008!

Greece, and others are still crippled by the debts.

What is worse this time is that it is even more corrupt than usual.

Previously the Olympic packah=ge has included bothteh Olympic games and the much less profitable Para-Olymic games. Allegedly this time the profits will be calculated and paid to the stakeholders before the Para-Olympics. Tjis means greater profits and also a further burden for tax payers.

Then look att he restrictions being placed on advertising. The Police have been asked to enforce advertising of non-sponsor advertising in the stadiums and areas. This includes not being allowed to wear clothing that is of the wrong sponsor, or "home printed" to bill boards removing the "wrong adverts" in designated areas and routes. Finally local companies not being allowed to advertise.

As for the "regeneration".. has anyone actually looked at the social costs of this cleansing?

Waste of Money
Does my head in
Seb Coe is an idiot, get a real job mate and stop spending my money

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Lets be honest here, only a handful of athletes in this rather tedious event will actually win gold medals. Like Lord Coe, they'll go on to have lucrative political & media careers and everyone else will vanish into obscurity. So basically, the way I see it,we've just spent 12 billion quid on furthering the career ambitions of a minority which is about £200 per head of UK population.

Lets be honest here, only a handful of athletes in this rather tedious event will actually win gold medals. Like Lord Coe, they'll go on to have lucrative political & media careers and everyone else will vanish into obscurity. So basically, the way I see it,we've just spent 12 billion quid on furthering the career ambitions of a minority which is about £200 per head of UK population.

You are mistaken..... We have spent 12 billion lining the pockets of a select few, and their cronies.

The athletes ceased to be important many years ago.

JamesAC

£9 billion is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount spent each year on welfare, defence, clapped out universites and legions on public of sector jobs. I was inspired by watching the Olympics in 1972 and 1976 and became an athlete for may years. A huge part of East London has been regenerated and the Olympics will put Britain on the global map and it is a once in a century event so we have to make the most of it as the Chinese did at the last Olympics.
Which huge part of east London has been "regenerated"? Nothing has been done that could not have been achieved for far less money.

JamesAC

Limehouse is nowhere near the Olympic Park, and it's full of yuppies, you know nothing about East London you frightful snob. Westfield's had a million and a half visitors since it opened, ultimately 17,000 jobs for local people before the fashion, IT firms and Channel 5 move to the IBC at Hackney Wick and UCL move their campus to the east of the park, and that's all before Stratford International starts up. This is the biggest thing to hit East London since the luftwaffe.
I'm always astonished by the wild claims made about "local jobs". What no-one ever says is how many previously unemployed local people now have jobs as a consequence of Westfield/Olympics? Not people who've changed jobs; not people who have moved into the area because they've now got a job here; not people who commute from Kent or Essex. Local, unemployed people???

JamesAC

I thought London was a flea ridden cesspit full of every nationality except English. Has this changed ?
I don't quite understand your question.

subaqua

What’s the point
Have they changed/regenerated London from being a flea ridden cesspit into something else ?....I've not been there since October 2011.

they were thinking of calling it Manchester 2 , but it doesn't rain as much down here. ;) you have just hit the definition of irony on the head though. someone in Worsley of all places calling London a flea ridden cesspit . when i worked there in the 90s it was a hole and i have no doubts it still is now. do they still sleep outside there, well i am assuming they do judging by the amount of matresses strewn on the roads and pavements

brokenflipflop

Veteran
In 45 years I've never seen anyone in Worsley sleeping on the street. It is a crap-hole though, especially where the poor people live on the council estates.:thumbsup:

Seriously though, joking apart, London is a flea ridden cesspit. :smile:

Top Bottom