****** On Facbook

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I tend not to think too much about Facebook "hate" groups - most are populated by children, either in age or mentality.

The trouble is, on most websites you hide behind a pseudonym which gives the impression of being anonymous. People say stuff online which they would never say in the real world. This assumption of anonymity has spread onto Facebook, even though most people use their real names and details.

There's an interesting post from a guy called Rishi on the latest group, posting a famous picture of a group of cyclists being hit by a drunk driver during a race (which, if I recall correctly, was on a closed road). One person died during the incident. On the thread this Rishi character states that he is glad another poster's friends died. Do you think for a moment he would have said anything like that to the person's face? Of course not - for one thing he would run the risk of being punched squarely in the jaw. For another, most people sympathise with others emotions in real life. Online, some people detach themselves from it.

If you think the cyclist hating groups are bad, there are similar groups against librarians, teachers, the Police... in fact any group you care to think of. Its nothing special, but just people venting about things they would normally keep to themselves or their group of friends but not act on.

It is ugly though, and its one of the reasons why I've started to truly dislike Farcebollocks, but I still keep an account. I'm not entirely sure why now though...

Top Bottom