On my ride today I came across this pleasant surprise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There're a few places on my regular loops where stuff gets dumped.

Over the last few months I've seen plenty of stuff dangling in the hedges that shouldn't be there; car seats, clothes, shoes, a gazebo, a TV cabinet, old mattresses, a three piece suite, builders' waste, tyres, household rubbish and, more recently, a large cat tree that had seen better days.

Does my head in, given that we've got a new state-of-the-art recycling centre just 10 mins up the road... :banghead:

On a more personal note, I live near a railway crossing, and we regularly get the rail maintenance bods doing stuff on the line. What I sort of resent is the rubbish they leave behind after a job - ranging from empty cans and bottles and fast food packaging to soiled and damaged workwear. :angry:

classic33

Leg End Member
There're a few places on my regular loops where stuff gets dumped.

Over the last few months I've seen plenty of stuff dangling in the hedges that shouldn't be there; car seats, clothes, shoes, a gazebo, a TV cabinet, old mattresses, a three piece suite, builders' waste, tyres, household rubbish and, more recently, a large cat tree that had seen better days.

Does my head in, given that we've got a new state-of-the-art recycling centre just 10 mins up the road... :banghead:

On a more personal note, I live near a railway crossing, and we regularly get the rail maintenance bods doing stuff on the line. What I sort of resent is the rubbish they leave behind after a job - ranging from empty cans and bottles and fast food packaging to soiled and damaged workwear.
:angry:
Report them, or just the dumping of rubbish on the railway. Not taken lightly.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Triple that in some parts of the country, I built up and sold a rubbish clearance business in 1988 not once did I fly tip and at the time was paying £20 a ton to tip.

i used to pay £35 for a 8 yrd skip for soil ,concrete mixed in the mid 90's
i stopped using them when they got to £160 for a 6yrd skip about 7 years ago

grab hire which is a 6 wheeler and you can get about 12-15 cubic yrds of muck rubble away for under £ 200 is the best way but access is limited with garden driveway work as you need space and the lorry only has a 6 meter reach to grab it.

where thers muck thers money ,not so sure now with the high tipping tax.
anything nasty ,plaster board ,asbestos plastics ect can cost an absolute bomd to dump.
hence all the heaps deposited in and around the countryside.

very sad state of affairs,i hate fly tippers..

screenman

Legendary Member
i used to pay £35 for a 8 yrd skip for soil ,concrete mixed in the mid 90's
i stopped using them when they got to £160 for a 6yrd skip about 7 years ago

grab hire which is a 6 wheeler and you can get about 12-15 cubic yrds of muck rubble away for under £ 200 is the best way but access is limited with garden driveway work as you need space and the lorry only has a 6 meter reach to grab it.

where thers muck thers money ,not so sure now with the high tipping tax.
anything nasty ,plaster board ,asbestos plastics ect can cost an absolute bomd to dump.
hence all the heaps deposited in and around the countryside.

very sad state of affairs,i hate fly tippers..

An 8 yard in Twickenham at that time was already around £150, then often you could not put it where you wanted it and if I remember correctly in some cases a trip to the council offices to get a permit. That lot and if you left it unguarded for 10 minutes somebody else filled it.

The good rubbish guys I know are still doing very well.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Thinking a bit more on the Sloth's excellent proposal for dumping it in the miscreants' front gardens. Whilst it's a good start, on reflection, this isn't anywhere near a severe enough sanction. I propose the perpetrators are forced to eat it.
They can be given a reasonably amount of time to eat it, providing sufficient progress is maintained, say 1kg a day.
Or in the unlikely event of a repeat offender, 2kg per day if convicted again

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
That really, really gets me angry:cursing:. Huge fine and/or time inside for that....grrrr.
Why does the waist band never give on your trousers when people make you angry?

Top Bottom