On my ride today I came across this pleasant surprise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
One of my local country lanes was closed because some low life drove a tipper truck up there and blocked the lane completely, I do think the councils are partly to blame, we all have waste and it has to go somewhere at a cost to the person or the environment.
If I see any fly tipping in my area I report it to the council ASAP.

postman

Legendary Member
Country lane.......nothing but farmland around. Some bastewards had left this lot.
To me one of the worst types of crime as its against the planet and all mankind.
View attachment 408034

It's not mine,but here in Leeds they have begun charging for that type of waste,hench this morning brickwork wot i found while digging is going in a small skip being ordered tomorrow,i think it will be just as cheap to get a skip,rather than drive backwards and forwards to the tip.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
One of my local country lanes was closed because some low life drove a tipper truck up there and blocked the lane completely, I do think the councils are partly to blame, we all have waste and it has to go somewhere at a cost to the person or the environment.
If I see any fly tipping in my area I report it to the council ASAP.
I would.. like a shot. But I have never actually witnessed it happening.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
It's not mine,but here in Leeds they have begun charging for that type of waste,hench this morning brickwork wot i found while digging is going in a small skip being ordered tomorrow,i think it will be just as cheap to get a skip,rather than drive backwards and forwards to the tip.
I was going to hire a skip a couple months ago. I was TBH staggered by the cost.... well over £100. Was cheaper to hire a waste removal firm. Before the deal I got their licence number and checked it out online.

screenman

Legendary Member
It does cost the authority to clean up, but if someone dumps rubbish on your land, then you have to clean it up, and the authority can get quite threatening about you doing so in a timely manor, and charge you if you don’t comply, which is a bitter pill to swallow if your a farmer or smallholder.

A farmer friend of ours had a very large load of asbestos dumped on his land a couple of months back, just far enough off of the road to not belong to highways.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was going to hire a skip a couple months ago. I was TBH staggered by the cost.... well over £100. Was cheaper to hire a waste removal firm. Before the deal I got their licence number and checked it out online.

Triple that in some parts of the country, I built up and sold a rubbish clearance business in 1988 not once did I fly tip and at the time was paying £20 a ton to tip.

I was just thinking about what I have seen on the Beeb about littering in some areas, where they will issue an on the spot fine for the tiniest infringement. Yet these professional tippers get off with a puny fine ! They should have all their property seized for these crimes and that would make them think twice about doing it .

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
On another forum a German guy said they cleaned up Berlin very quickly when they started giving part of the fines issued for littering to people who reported it. Never found any other reference to it online but seems a good idea.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Believe it or not it was about 2003. I went into the local cemetery one day and someone had dumped a similar sized load in there. Yes,they actually thought dumping builders rubbish where people are buried and their families come to see their graves as acceptable. Well i don't think they'd think it was acceptable. They must've known inside that their actions were evil,but some just enjoy committing evil acts.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was just thinking about what I have seen on the Beeb about littering in some areas, where they will issue an on the spot fine for the tiniest infringement. Yet these professional tippers get off with a puny fine ! They should have all their property seized for these crimes and that would make them think twice about doing it .

Yes like smokers dropping cigarette ash and paper tissues accidentally falling out of pockets(They fall out of my pocket quite a lot, as i have a habit of keeping scrunched up tissues and when i turn to see one on the floor behind me i think should i pick it up?,what if it isn't mine and someone's blown their nose or gobbed up in itxx() . Only for the "criminals" to be confronted by a jobsworth issuing an on the spot fine. When i was window cleaning a council worker who drove one of those sit in street sweepers told me,after seeing me empty my dirty water in the gutter than technically i could be fined for dumping industrial waste. He wasn't being a jobsworth just giving me a friendly warning. He told me of a mobile car valeter who'd been fined for letting the water from his water tank in the back of his van pour onto the road. Who'd report such a thing and who'd actually come out and fine someone for such a thing i wondered.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Disposal of surface water is taken very seriously because of the risk of contaminants finding their way into rivers.

People who dump chemicals into rivers are just as antisocial as people who dump waste:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...river-irwell-wildlife-dead-pollution-12894647
Are we talking about me here?:smile: If so i'd like to say in my defense that the water i poured contained only a squirt of Fairy Liquid in half a bucket of water. I'm supposing that's no more than someone uses when washing their dishes and stuff. I could understand there being concern about what a car valeter uses in his water and how much of it pours into the system.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Reminds me of the day after the latest w'end heatwave we had a couple of weeks back, when I was riding thru' my local park and came across a fallen tree that people often sit on, which that day was absolutely surrounded by detritus from what had clearly been a bbq party involving a dozen people, none of whom clearly had any qualms about leaving all their bbq trays, beer & coke cans, plastic food containers, crisp bags and what have yous right where they sat. Scum.

Top Bottom