On my ride today I came across this pleasant surprise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Many years ago I was mountain biking up on the moors and came across an abandoned tent, partlally broken, containing a soaked sleeping bag, a mat and some food debris and litter. I was quite worried as I thought it looked as if somebody had been camping and something bad had happened to them. Oh how naive I was - I now know that it's common practice to buy a made in China tent, air bed and sleeping bag kit from ASDA or Tesco, use it for a couple of nights then dump it for somebody else to clear up. I passed the site of a festival near Stavely and was absolutely shocked at the field of abandoned gear that a handful of volunteers was clearing up. This is absolutely disgusting and supermarkets should be made to stop feeding people's filthy habits in this way.

When caught, their addresses should be published - so we can all dump our rubbish in their front gardens.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Many years ago I was mountain biking up on the moors and came across an abandoned tent, partlally broken, containing a soaked sleeping bag, a mat and some food debris and litter. I was quite worried as I thought it looked as if somebody had been camping and something bad had happened to them. Oh how naive I was - I now know that it's common practice to buy a made in China tent, air bed and sleeping bag kit from ASDA or Tesco, use it for a couple of nights then dump it for somebody else to clear up. I passed the site of a festival near Stavely and was absolutely shocked at the field of abandoned gear that a handful of volunteers was clearing up. This is absolutely disgusting and supermarkets should be made to stop feeding people's filthy habits in this way.
I recall reading about that practice recently. One wonders just how low people can go.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just been reading about a "litter pick" on a local small park. They collected 117 black bin bags full of rubbish.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dumped sofas get me. You've gone to the effort of loading it to a vehicle and toting it to a roadside, so why not just drive it to a tip instead? One night, about 1997ish, I was patrolling Northampton and came across a 3 piece suite neatly dumped on a pedestrian crossing. While I was stood there mulling over this sight a wag walks past and asked me if I'd been shopping in Pikea.

One copper I know used to run a Facebook page with images of furniture dumped around the town, complete with humerous captions, but the humourless pen pushers at the Ivory Tower made him stop it.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
It seems the country is becoming populated by more and more 'scum'.
Councils are partly to blame, whenever I have reported it over the years (flytipping locally...or folk just taking their piles of crap to the roadside nearby) to the local council, I've even told them there is paperwork in the rubbish relating to a specific address...on several occasions...and they don't want to know. Not interested. They'e contributed over the years by their inaction here, just not interested.
It seems like now, so many people here just put their piles of rubbish by the roadside ...and the thought seems to be...its not my problem now, it's someone else's. No fear of the authorities, nothing, it's just become normal.

classic33

Leg End Member
Reported a fly tipper to the council, even taking one of the blue plastic bags with me as proof.

Thirty bags of Confidential Waste dumped by the council, from a council vehicle.

DRM

Guru
Was out on Sunday morning when I came across what must have been at least 50 or 60 of the small gas cylinders as you would use to inflate your bike tyres, scattered along the road, god only knows what that was about, regarding abandoned festival tents, local Scout Groups got first refusal from Leeds festival, trouble was not happy with leaving them, it’s apparently hilarious to now smear the inside of them with sh*t and leave hypodermic needles in them, so they were guaranteed landfill

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Was out on Sunday morning when I came across what must have been at least 50 or 60 of the small gas cylinders as you would use to inflate your bike tyres, scattered along the road, god only knows what that was about, regarding abandoned festival tents, local Scout Groups got first refusal from Leeds festival, trouble was not happy with leaving them, it’s apparently hilarious to now smear the inside of them with sh*t and leave hypodermic needles in them, so they were guaranteed landfill

Gas cylinders are nitrous oxide and used as legal highs https://www.aliem.com/2016/10/whipped-cream-charger-abuse-toxicologist-mindset/

Levo-Lon

Guru
Be far better to fine the cheapskate who's rubbish it is ,who thought ill get tozsers rubbish removals to clear it, there cheap and quick.

its so coomon on all the narrow country roads around here.
pitty we cant have a satellite that picks this up.
then melts them with a big feckin lazer...or reports them :laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
There’s a road near here - part of NCN73 - which has a problem with flytipping. There are signs saying there are now hidden cameras at the worst bits. Don’t know how effective they are.

The worst I saw was someone had got an old caravan, stuffed it full of rubbish and abandoned it!

Top Bottom