One day you will have bike like this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
I saw this in one of the mags this month, I can understand all the advantages as long as they can get the weight low enough without producing brakes made from cheese

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't wait for hydraulic road discs. I went through straddle wire brakes then V brakes to discs over 20 years of mountain biking and I love my original Hope minis, they are superbly efficient, easy to service and elegantly minimal. As soon as a reasonably priced road disc hits the shops it's going on my CX and those awful cable BB7 discs are going on Ebay. By that time I expect there will be plenty of disc-specific road frames on the market so my current rim-braked Roubaix will be going on Ebay as well.

Rim brakes are the last remaining piece of outdated technology that blights road bikes, along with Brooks saddles.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I already have a bike similar to that (well not really that similar :laugh:) , though a lot less cheaper :ohmy:
Normal cable pull disc brakes though, not Hydraulic.

2k12honkyinc-350x262.jpg

Better not Delzeqq see this thread, he will have a coronary

sabian92

Über Member
I don't understand why road bikes don't have discs anyway. So much more power, easier to maintain and no rim wear.

I can't wait for hydraulic road discs. I went through straddle wire brakes then V brakes to discs over 20 years of mountain biking and I love my original Hope minis, they are superbly efficient, easy to service and elegantly minimal. As soon as a reasonably priced road disc hits the shops it's going on my CX and those awful cable BB7 discs are going on Ebay. By that time I expect there will be plenty of disc-specific road frames on the market so my current rim-braked Roubaix will be going on Ebay as well.

Rim brakes are the last remaining piece of outdated technology that blights road bikes, along with Brooks saddles.

you sound like a marketing man's dream customer.

lukesdad

Well, he's still running 9 speed DuraAce, what do you expect? :smile:

Nothing wrong with that so am I ^_^

Christopher

Über Member
I suppose hydraulic discs might be good although you have to bleed them? Agree with the OP that cable discs are terrible, i had an Avid BB5 and it was a nightmare to get to work right without rubbing.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I already have a bike similar to that (well not really that similar :laugh:) , though a lot less cheaper :ohmy:
Normal cable pull disc brakes though, not Hydraulic.

2k12honkyinc-350x262.jpg

Better not Delzeqq see this thread, he will have a coronary

OMG! What a gorgeous bike! Please post a bigger picture! I loved my Kona Explosif and then my Hei Hei - what model is that beauty?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I suppose hydraulic discs might be good although you have to bleed them? Agree with the OP that cable discs are terrible, i had an Avid BB5 and it was a nightmare to get to work right without rubbing.

No, once set up they are good for a long life; all you need to do is push back the pistons when you fit new pads. If you open the hydraulic tube to shorten it you might need to bleed them but if you're careful you can do it in a way, which avoids the need.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't understand why road bikes don't have discs anyway. So much more power, easier to maintain and no rim wear.
Rim brakes have plenty of power - it is easy to lock a wheel using just a couple of fingers on the brake levers, but I agree about rim and brake block wear, especially in the winter.

The UCI allow disk brakes for cyclocross now, but they are still banned for road racing. If/when the rules are changed to permit them, it will play havoc with neutral service until everyone switches over to disk.

Top Bottom