One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
As a late teen I used to hitch hike a lot, I got a lift in a Jensen Healey. I seem to remember it wasnt a great place to be, kinda basic. Lovely looking car but....

Whenever I think of Jensons, I remember as a young tyre fitter (probably about 1985) when a couple who'd driven an Interceptor into the place I worked with a flat tyre. They'd come from South Wales and when I asked the bloke what the economy was like he said 'Put it this way, boot it hard enough and you'll see the fuel gauge move'.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Whenever I think of Jensons, I remember as a young tyre fitter (probably about 1985) when a couple who'd driven an Interceptor into the place I worked with a flat tyre. They'd come from South Wales and when I asked the bloke what the economy was like he said 'Put it this way, boot it hard enough and you'll see the fuel gauge move'.
Aye another car without a carb, they've got a little guy with a bucket chucking fuel in. :ohmy:

JPBoothy

Veteran

Not the nicest but very clean!

It was the same with our XKR, if you were in heavy traffic, or a twisting/up & down road, I've seen 2MPG from it
(on the other hand, 30MPG returning from Cardiff)

Likewise, quite a few years ago, I had a 90CSW, that was a genuine factory V8
That was a thirsty beast, taking a twin-axle 'BWSOW' up the A65, to 'The Lakes' (& Keswick) was very definitely a sub-10MPG run:eek:

MarkF

Guru
That Jag is a beauty, eclipses the 3mpg stuck in slow moving traffic I had from my XJ-S V12 too!

It is and they get better looking with each passing year.

I had one just like the below, 4.0L straight 6, it had a drop down digital mpg display above the rear view mirror that caused me so much mental pain that I stuck black insulation tape over it. If I left traffic lights in a giddy mood it would drop to 0-MPG!:ohmy:

540x360.jpg

Cavalol

Guru
Ha, I remember driving one of those Jeeps back from Stoke to take to the car auctions. Hit a roundabout off the A500 somewhere and booted it in the wet. It tried its best to swap ends, wasn't an especially joyous occasion and drove it like a saint after that!

Gunk

Guru
Ha, I remember driving one of those Jeeps back from Stoke to take to the car auctions. Hit a roundabout off the A500 somewhere and booted it in the wet. It tried its best to swap ends, wasn't an especially joyous occasion and drove it like a saint after that!

Live axle and cart springs, not always a happy combination on a wet roundabout.

D

Deleted member 26715

I drove the old bosses one back from Bristol coming up the M5 anything over 60mph it would wander from one side of the white lines to the other, very unnerving

MarkF

Guru
I drove the old bosses one back from Bristol coming up the M5 anything over 60mph it would wander from one side of the white lines to the other, very unnerving

I bought mine unseen off Ebay, it was located in Lowestoft, 220 miles from my house.^_^ When I set off home I thought there was something wrong with it, it was like steering a pedalo and took me weeks to get to grips with it. I think I paid about £1k for it about 8 years ago, same car now would cost £3/4k, good ones are zooming in value. I really wish I'd kept it.:sad:

D

Deleted member 26715

Thing was when he was driving he'd be doing 80-90mph I have no idea how he hung onto it, it was far worse than the early Sierra's

MarkF

Guru
I saw a Rover 75 a couple of weeks back, it was a "W" reg and mint, it looked absolutely gorgeous and ever since I've had an urge to buy one and I think I will. I've let other oddball cars go at the bottom of the market and then found I can't buy good ones again, Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, 2CV, Minor, Volvo 740.....I want a low owner, FSH, 2.6 V6 auto with full leather and a cassette player.:okay:

i091768.jpg

MarkF

Guru
I saw a Rover 75 a couple of weeks back, it was a "W" reg and mint, it looked absolutely gorgeous and ever since I've had an urge to buy one and I think I will. I've let other oddball cars go at the bottom of the market and then found I can't buy good ones again, Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, 2CV, Minor, Volvo 740.....I want a low owner, FSH, 2.6 V6 auto with full leather and a cassette player.:okay:

i091768.jpg

MarkF

Guru
FIL had a few, not impressed

I'd just about forgotten about them, but it looked great amid all the modern pap in the car park. It's all about looks for me when I buy a car, along with "Is this a nice place to sit"? I don't care about reliability, economy or any sensible stuff. I had been pondering a Jaguar S-Type but these (to me) are better looking.

Top Bottom