One for the RLJers amongst us!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
Well I can see form the attitude on this forum two very obvious points.

1. This forum isn't for me.
2. I don't see any progress on cyclist - driver relations anytime soon while these attitudes persist. It's only going to get worse if we have forums full of cyclists who condone jumping of red lights.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Pedestrian crossings are primarily to stop vehicles colliding....? huh?
Pedestrian crossings not connected to junctions are a tiny minority of red lights and even there, the primary purpose is not usually pedestrian protection: it's to corall and delay walkers so they don't obstruct the flow of motorists. Have you really not noticed that?

In an urban area of over 70,000, I can think of just five sets not synchronised with junctions, only one prioritises walkers by changing when you push the button without regard to neighbouring junctions or motorists and even that one will steadfastly refuse to activate if anyone has crossed in the last two minutes! No, traffic lights are normally for motorists. If we prioritised pedestrians, we'd have zebras with sensor- activated cameras to catch infringers.

mjr

Well I can see form the attitude on this forum two very obvious points.

1. This forum isn't for me.
2. I don't see any progress on cyclist - driver relations anytime soon while these attitudes persist. It's only going to get worse if we have forums full of cyclists who condone jumping of red lights.
I don't condone breaking this law but I also object to people exaggerating that it's necessarily endangering children, and condoning motorists retaliating with lethal force by striking cyclists with their vehicles!

beany_bot

Veteran
Number of people killed by cyclists jumping red lights 2010-2016 is zero. Number of people killed by drivers jumping red lights over same period is 54. You were saying?
I was saying Red Light jumping is illegal. It further drives divide between motorists and cyclists. Until the law states it's ok to jump red lights on a bike. Dont do it.

beany_bot

Veteran
I don't condone breaking this law but I also object to people exaggerating that it's necessarily endangering children, and condoning motorists retaliating with lethal force by striking cyclists with their vehicles!
Who condoned that??

mjr

I was saying Red Light jumping is illegal. It further drives divide between motorists and cyclists. Until the law states it's ok to jump red lights on a bike. Dont do it.
Would you like to offer any comment on the motorists who I see jump red lights every time I travel into town, or is your criticism only for people on bikes?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
RLJ'ing DOES give cyclists a bad name

Maybe you could explain why this application of collective responsibility is only ever directed at people on bicycles. I have never seen it said that. for example, speeding motorists give all drivers a bad name. Not even the killing of a child by a drunk driver, exceeding the speed limit and on bald tyres has produced the reaction reserved for cyclists. So what's the difference?

if you RLJ in front of my when I'm on my bike I will call you out on it.

Come to Glasgow, you'll be too hoarse shouting at all the drivers before you even notice a cyclist. You do shout at drivers, don't you?

beany_bot

Veteran
Classic deflection.

I don't really have an argument so I will deflect to drivers. drivers run red lights too, lets talk about that instead. thats bad isnt it? DRIVERS!!!!

Top Bottom