One for the RLJers amongst us!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I live in Glasgow mate, my commute is in Glasgow. Of course I shout at drivers if I see them go through a red light. It's worse (more dangerous) than a bike doing it! Still doesn't excuse cyclists doing it!

Are you objecting because you perceive it as dangerous or because it is illegal?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I live in Glasgow mate, my commute is in Glasgow. Of course I shout at drivers if I see them go through a red light. It's worse (more dangerous) than a bike doing it! Still doesn't excuse cyclists doing it!

It doesn't excuse it but you seem overly vexed by it. I don't approve of it but don't do it either, there's no situation I've encountered where I felt it necessary.

My main objection to your viewpoint is that of collective responsibility. Could you answer my other question on that front?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So you're happy to break the Highway Code rule (and law) against road rage but not the one about red lights? Are there any others that you pick and choose not to obey?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
[QUOTE 5519295, member: 9609"]Lorry drivers seem to suffer from this collective responsibility thing - a few really crap ones seem to give the vast majority a bad name. but i agree it never seems to happen towards car drivers.[/QUOTE]

Lorry drivers (and cyclists) each form a relatively small proportion of the adult population. Car drivers are far more numerous.

You can't isolate a group and treat it as homogeneous and collectively responsible if the majority of people belong to it. That's why "cyclists" in general get given a bad name but "car drivers" don't.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Both.

Same with cyclists. Both illegal and potentially dangerous.

I don't pick and choose which laws I follow based on if I agree with them or not.

Well the accident statistics say it is not dangerous when cyclists do it, but is dangerous when a motorist does it. So it just must be the law that vexes you. You must be unique in the whole world as someone who is vexed by all laws regardless of their need to apply to certain groups. Do you think it should be illegal for pedestrians to cross the road anywhere other than at designated crossing points?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That white van man that saw you could very well think "well if that peanut isn't going to play by the rules then why should I give him the space he wants"?
So next time you get a clipped by a white vans wing mirror just ask if your RLJ'ing is worth it.

That's the reaction of someone who has given in to bullying.

We hear all the time from aggressive or neglectful drivers how they'll treat cyclists with care and respect "once they obey all the laws like drivers have to". (LOL)

Well, sorry but a driver's responsibility to be careful around me is not dependent upon the behaviour of other cyclists or that driver's opinion of my choice of transport. By going along with this subservience, you perpetuate the myth that people who cycle are second class road users whose presence is to be tolerated by the motoring masses and on their terms only.

Consequently, *you* are giving cyclists a bad name.

Top Bottom