One hundred and twenty.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Pat "5mph", 14 May 2018.

1. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

One hundred and twenty. Black Taxi Drivers. One bacon tattie scone roll each, cuppa a'na danish.
    I was feeling the fear.
    Can I have a bit more bacon, hen? Maybe, how do you feel about squashing cyclists??
    I am surrounded! Be gone, Satan, enemy of my kind!!
    I want to gatecrash that meeting, I want to speak for all of us, I want to make a magnificent cycling activist's speech, I want them to know I'm not just a tea lady, I'm the one you beeped at because she took primary.
    I can't do any of that because I'll get sacked :laugh:

2. lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit Veteran

Console yourself with the thought that you'll have a longer, healthier, active lifespan than most of them.

After (non cycling) altercations with taxi's on 2 separate occasions, I don't hold them in particularly high regard.

dave r likes this.
  3. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

Can you imagine having to drive for a living? For me, it would be one of the worst jobs i could think of

Stephenite, Pat "5mph", Eddy and 5 others like this.
  4. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Me too.

meta lon likes this.
  5. Drago

Drago Guru

Me three.

6. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

Each to their own and all that..... I did it for about 10 years, on and off.. Taxis, vans, artics, the lot. The actual driving part, I was fine with and for the most part thoroughly enjoyed it. The factor that killed it for me was the lack of wage rise in TEN YEARS (partly due to the influx of cheap labour but since this is good old cyclechat and it's liberal views I won't go there :whistle:).. Having to pay for my own Certificate of Professional Competency (about £500 plus loss of weeks earnings every 5 years - for the most pointless irrelevant nonsense imaginable, and NO actual driving training involved before all you anti truckers start). Truck owners pushing the bounds of legality when it came to driver's hours.... So I escaped. If things improve, I might go back, it is still my plan B..

My idea of a nightmare job is sitting in an office all day, and commuting with the masses doing 9-5 Monday/Friday. :gun:

7. Drago

Drago Guru

Just having a job is a nightmare! :laugh:

8. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

I struck a compromise in my semi retirement. Potter about at a care home for 25/30 hours over 4 days per week, with a one mile commute involved. :smile:

9. CrinklyLion

CrinklyLion Guest

If you have a view that you want to share, do so - and be prepared for people to agree or disagree as they see fit. Have the courage of your convictions. This kind of 'I'll actually say this thing whilst pretending not to by saying I can't say this thing' is passive agressive nonsense IMO.

Driving would be a nightmare job for me. Well, for all of you, if I did it. Never did learn, since I'm about as well co-ordinated at a baby Bambi and have the spatial awareness of a jellyfish... I made the decision long ago that the world was a better place without me at the wheel!

10. Roadhump

Roadhump Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted

I find truckers are probably the most careful and considerate drivers on the road while I'm on my bike, problem is that when you get a bad one, the potential damage is catastrophic. When they say a car is potentially a missile, a truck is a potential atomic bomb in comparison.

As for taxi drivers....pffft....I know they have a living to make, but talk about bad habits and being a law unto themselves.....

11. Drove taxis for two years to pay my way through college. It was... interesting.

skudupnorth and Brandane like this.
  12. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Pat "5mph", CrinklyLion and classic33 like this.
  13. Roadhump

Roadhump Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted

I bet it was. My sister is a taxi driver and got assaulted by some cowardly a******e a few years ago, and I have a pint with a couple of taxi drivers in the local now and again. They have a lot to put up with, but blimey, if there is one group of generally more discourteous and unpredictable drivers, I wouldn't like to meet them.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  14. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

The local taxi firm always park in the cycle lane outside a pub and its a fast road so its a right pain. If i ever need a taxi for my Mum I get them from a firm which operates at the other side of the city.I personally dont use taxis.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  15. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

@Pat"5mph", I feel your pain:sad:.

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice