One leg cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gezzer07

Hi
Anyone able to help or advise?
I'm trying to return to cycling for exercise but due to an accident I have very limited movement in left knee which prevents me using normal pedals. I've looked at swinging cranks but they aren't suitable.
I've wondered about a 'fixie' but i'm confused what they are all about. Ideally i'd like to meet someone who could turn what little movement into sufficient to return the pedal.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Sorry to hear about your accident, and I cant help out much with suggestions but basically "fixie" is a fixed wheel bike, i.e. a single speed bike with no freewheel mechanism. While the bike is rolling, the pedals are turning.

walker

There used to be (and probably still is) a one legged cyclist in South London, that I used to see when I used to head to Hillingdon. I know this is of no help to you but it used to make be wonder how he stopped, and he rode clipless

Sorry to hear about your accident gezzer07. If its any inspiration this guy has no leg at all.
I guess being clipless would help. When I lost the use of my left knee, temporarily only thank goodness, I found that a free wheel and clippless meant I was always pull the stronger leg to a position where if I lost momentum I could continue.

Can you use normal pedals even if you cannot apply pressure to the left one?

Personally I practice just using one leg and it is perfectly ok as long as your left leg can follow the pedal around.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
walker said:
There used to be (and probably still is) a one legged cyclist in South London, that I used to see when I used to head to Hillingdon. I know this is of no help to you but it used to make be wonder how he stopped, and he rode clipless

He is still around, i see him from time to time, he has a prosthetic left leg that he use's now.

I've never gotten the chance to speak to him, as every time i see him i'm in my car.

walker

gaz said:
He is still around, i see him from time to time, he has a prosthetic left leg that he use's now.

I've never gotten the chance to speak to him, as every time i see him i'm in my car.

Thats good to hear, same here, I was always driving through and would let him pass in front of me. He was always going great guns to

HobbesChoice

gezzer07 said:
Hi
Anyone able to help or advise?
I'm trying to return to cycling for exercise but due to an accident I have very limited movement in left knee which prevents me using normal pedals. I've looked at swinging cranks but they aren't suitable.
I've wondered about a 'fixie' but i'm confused what they are all about. Ideally i'd like to meet someone who could turn what little movement into sufficient to return the pedal.

Hi there gezzer07. My Dad just has one leg now and is trying to get back into cycling, but I do realise that having a false leg and having limited movement in a leg are fairly separate issues.

But based on some of the advice my Dad has been given I think that going clipless is the answer because your right leg can make up the deficit of your left leg. You just have to make sure that you can get your feet off the pedal easily enough (my Dad can't so he's having to look at different options now). If you have enough movement that you can get your left foot off the pedal easily then I think that's the best answer for you.

zacklaws

Guru
In my first job, one of the workers only had one leg and cycled too and fro everyday to work. I cannot recall how he did it, but he carried his crutch under his arm and rested it on the bars as he cycled. As for the finer details of mounting, setting off and stopping, it must have required perfect timing.

Top Bottom