One man tent for 2 months touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ch3

As I've mentioned to a previous post, I am planning to cycle from North France down to Italy. Along with many other things I need to buy, I started looking into tents and this is my short list:

1 person
£98 : Lichfield Treklite 200
£80 : Robens Cloud 1 Tunnel Tent
£70 : Coleman Kraz X1 Shelter Tent
£30 : Gelert Solo Tent

2 person
£80 : T2 ultralight pro
£70 : VANGO BANSHEE 200 2009

Initially I was thinking to go for the cheapest option which is the Gelert. But after reading some reviews, I think it will be too small for me, plus I may need something better to sleep in for such a long time.
Has anyone used any of them? Is it worth the extra weight for a 2 person tent to have a little more space?

thanks in advanced.

GrahamG

Guru
Depends on the tent design - the decider for me (2 person tent for two but with huge porch) was 'is there enough space to cook a meal if the weather is hellish?'

jags

Guru
ultralight pro looks great just had a look at there t3 ,that would be my choice loads of room.

nigelnorris

The T2 Ultralight is very small for two people, I would describe it more as a very big one man tent so ideal for your purposes. It looks to be regularly reduced [twice this year at least - I bought mine last month new from decathlon for £60] so if you decide on one of those I would recommend buying at the last minute just in case it comes up in a sale again.

dragon72

Guru
I travel solo with the Quechua T3. I like it because it has lots of r o o m. Yeah, it's heavy but an extra kilo is a price worth paying IMO.

OP
OP
C

ch3

nigelnorris -> That sounds ideal. At the moment though, it is listed for 80 pounds at decathlon's website. Maybe because it's still the begging of the summer and as you say the price may drop in a few weeks time.

dragon72 -> How come you went for the 3 person version? Is it so you can put your bike in as well?

Maggot -> What you're saying, sounds completely reasonable. Still my excuse is the limited gear budget which has already been doubled since I first started thinking about touring. I'll have a good look to the top range tents as well and see if I'll get convinced. Hydro-static head was another new term for me, which I just read about. There is definitely a geeky aspect to cycling and touring, don't you agree? =]

Thank you very much for your time guys!

RedBike

I've got the Gerlet Solo. I've only used it twice but so far it's been a great little tent. I wouldn't recommend it for 2 months use though. It'a VERY small and you have to pitch the inner before the outer.

Not a problem for the odd night. Less than ideal for such a long trip.

Renard

There's a review of tents in this month's 'Trail' magazine. I'll dig it out and see what they say. I would think that you are best spending as much as you can afford as you have to rely on it.

Brains

Legendary Member
I'm with Magott - Up the budget.

To save a large amount of money though, take a stove and you will bring your food buget down from £900+ (60 x £15) to about £360. (60 x £6) and you get better grub

You can get a stove, tent, sleeping bag and clothing in two rear panniers and use the top of the rack for the tent and/or sleeping bag (in a waterproof bag)

Tent poles go go in their sleeve bag and use a bungee to fix to underside of the top tube of the bike

paulrw

I've just returned from a 19 day trip rotterdam to vienna. I used the lichfield treklite. I experienced some horrendous storms but the tent never let me down. It is lightweight and quick to put up/down. There's not a great deal of room but for me it sufficed.

OP
OP
C

ch3

Brains -> You are right. I think I first need to buy everything else to see how I can fit them all to my back panniers and rack and if there is space I may get a stove as well. Or if I see that it is needed, I can always get it on the way.

paulrw -> good to hear that this one worked out ok. Definitely one of the candidates.

skmc1955

I got a Vango Spirit 200 for £100. Small pack, fairly light and loads of room. I love it.( mind you, the colour,s awful!)

dragon72

Guru
dragon72 -> How come you went for the 3 person version? Is it so you can put your bike in as well?

Nah, just so I can spread out a bit and feel less boxed-in. I like the fact that I can read a fully unfolded map inside and go to sleep in the star position!

Renard

Sorry this months mag only reviewed 2 man tunnel tents but there was a review on one man tents the month before. From what I can see the best compromise between wieght and cost is the Vango Ultralight 200 @£170 and weighs only 1300g. They also recommend a Wild Country Sololite @£140 which weighs 1910g. The other options tested come in well in excess of £200.

Top Bottom