One Premier League Footballer's "EARNINGS".......an amazing statistic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Most of what the top players earn comes from overseas investors or shirt sales.

Used by people who would be bawling in tears after five minutes if they played themselves and realised how tough the game is.
I think the shirt sales may fall a bit short. Arsenal probably bring in around 30 million in shirt sales, not sure exactly how much of that is profit although the mark up is huge. Their wage bill must be closer to 230 million.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I understand this and appreciate the argument. I have a very good friend who’s truly enjoying a great job associated with the PL.

For me though it is not an export, it’s a sport my team competes in. Where I would vehemently disagree with your post is the word “English” this could not be further from the truth. I’m not a little Englander but there really is nothing English about the PL.

I could still name the City team under Mercer or Liverpool under Shankly. I know Sterling is at City, the last Liverpool player I can recall is Gerrard. That’s not healthy for the game.

I gather song sheets are being handed out at Old Trafford - nothing else to say. Sums up the PL in one simple action.

I think that sums up the dichotomy at the top of the game. The fans still.see the team they support as their team. But the owners and the sellers of TV rights see the team as an export product.

For so long as most of the income comes from overseas that will remain to be the case

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Hang on... they get a bonus for scoring? Isn't that what a wendyballer get paid for in the first place ?

Loathsome.

Yes they get paid extras for performing well. Shock ! Weigh that up against your bankers and high flying city types who award themselves bonus’s for stripping assets and pension funds to award themselves a few million quid for the privellage. Destroying high street chains and putting 00’s or 000’s of people out of work and resulting in your average joe tax payer digging deep with a “rescue package”. Footballers hey criminals :rolleyes:

stephec

Legendary Member
Hang on... they get a bonus for scoring? Isn't that what a wendyballer get paid for in the first place ?

Loathsome.
Have you never had a job where you get an end of year payment for reaching certain targets?

It seems to be quite popular in sales jobs.

postman

Legendary Member
Can you imagine it working in real life.ie a bus driver for getting a bus in to Leeds on time a bonus for helping an old lady on and off,me a former postman a bonus for delivering letters to the right house,or a bonus for an assist,excuse me postie i am lost where is such and such a road.Extra pay for doing what is already part of the job.Well after this weeks friendly between Engurland and Never neverland.I have decided i won't waste my time on Tuesday night,got a filum to finish off.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
C8FovciXwAMn9A3.jpg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I never stop to be amazed by all the excuses people find to justify the obscene footballers and football managers earnings. We really live in a mad world where we defend the rich and famous and accept that the rest of the population is expected to just get by.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
but why moan about just football, there are many jobs were the money is crazy compared to the rest of us, TV and film stars earn incredible amounts of money, other professional sports earn more than footballers but I do sometimes wonder if its more to do with working class, lower educated people earning crazy money rather than the sport and thats where the true bitterness comes from.
^^This^^

Nobody ever starts a thread about the "Obscene" earnings of some drug and alcohol addicted rock star with a liking for girls of a suspiciously young age because because music is a profession considered cool and respectable by the great and good. And not too many of those musicians grew up on council estates.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
but why moan about just football, there are many jobs were the money is crazy compared to the rest of us, TV and film stars earn incredible amounts of money, other professional sports earn more than footballers but I do sometimes wonder if its more to do with working class, lower educated people earning crazy money rather than the sport and thats where the true bitterness comes from.
Agreed, it isn't just football but don't agree about working class people being lower educated. As far as as know, many sporting people, pop stars, film stars and others are far from being highly educated.

Slick

Guru
^^This^^

Nobody ever starts a thread about the "Obscene" earnings of some drug and alcohol addicted rock star with a liking for girls of a suspiciously young age because because music is a profession considered cool and respectable by the great and good. And not too many of those musicians grew up on council estates.
I think a lot of them grew up on council estates.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Jesus,i've just seen this. Rooney's having a 20 million quid plastic palace built. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ustom-built-mansion-Cheshire-takes-shape.html
No way would i pay a penny towards watching vastly overpaid footballers,though we have to remember that it's only the minority who are vastly overpaid.. I bet there are many fans in run down places in Liverpool(Everton's in Liverpool and is Rooney's club) scrimping and saving to buy an Everton season ticket,and for what? It's not like they win anything. The rogue Allardyce(Everton manager) will be getting sacked soon,so that'll be another few million for him,in contract payouts. Oy taxman! Keep your eye on him,you know he's as dodgy as f...!!!
:thumbsdown:
Edit...The bracketed bits are for the benefit of non football fans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom