One Premier League Footballer's "EARNINGS".......an amazing statistic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Jesus,i've just seen this. Rooney's having a 20 million quid plastic palace built. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ustom-built-mansion-Cheshire-takes-shape.html
No way would i pay a penny towards watching vastly overpaid footballers,though we have to remember that it's only the minority who are vastly overpaid.. I bet there are many fans in run down places in Liverpool(Everton's in Liverpool and is Rooney's club) scrimping and saving to buy an Everton season ticket,and for what? It's not like they win anything. The rogue Allardyce(Everton manager) will be getting sacked soon,so that'll be another few million for him,in contract payouts. Oy taxman! Keep your eye on him,you know he's as dodgy as f...!!!
:thumbsdown:
Edit...The bracketed bits are for the benefit of non football fans.

Rooney came from the run down areas you speak of. I wouldn’t say footballers get anything they haven’t worked or made sacrifices for. The boy done good imo.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Jesus,i've just seen this. Rooney's having a 20 million quid plastic palace built. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ustom-built-mansion-Cheshire-takes-shape.html
The WHOLE country in SHOCK as bloke with lots of money builds a BIG house for himself and his FAMILY!!

PK99

Legendary Member
Rooney came from the run down areas you speak of. I wouldn’t say footballers get anything they haven’t worked or made sacrifices for. The boy done good imo.

Tom Finney died in the week Rooney signed a new contract.

I won't bore you with the calculation, but I looked at Finney's earnings (career 1945 - 1960 all under the maximum wage rules) took the average and scaled up by inflation.

Rooney's weekly pay was more than Tom Finney earned in his whole career.

AndyRM

XOXO

I won't bore you with the calculation, but I looked at Finney's earnings (career 1945 - 1960 all under the maximum wage rules) took the average and scaled up by inflation.

An interesting, but not entirely reasonable comparison, which happens a lot when football is concerned.

Slick

Guru
This. So much.

The idea that getting paid mega money to play football comes easy is laughable.
My mates son is trying to make it, and he has the talent in spades but a skewed view on how professional players up here have to work. I watched my neighbour play a belter against my team a few weeks back, even scored a goal. Next day he was out doing the neighbours garden. Getting to tge top isn't easy in any walk of life.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The idea that getting paid mega money to play football comes easy is laughable.
I think the probkem is that most kids dream if being a footballer, and think they could do it too if things had been a bit different, so they asign more luck than skill to the job, where as being a mega film star or musician seems a bit too unattainable.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If footballers are creating enough income to be paid that amount imagine how much the people* that pay them have .

The people and not the clubs who seen to be perpetually making huge losses.

stephec

Legendary Member
This.

As much as I dislike listening to Alan Brazil blabbing on I do remember hearing him say something along the lines of, 'I remember all the times when I was young and my mates would be out on the town, I would always be in bed early as I had training the next day.'

My nephew is on the schoolboy books at Oldham and there's some serious hours that have to be put in each week, and then potentially at the age of sixteen it's highly likely that only a fraction of the lads will be kept on, it's a harsh business.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
An interesting, but not entirely reasonable comparison, which happens a lot when football is concerned.
But it does add some perspective.
I seem to remember reading that Stanley Matthews (greatest ever English player in some peoples eyes) used to get the bus to the ground then home, with his dirty boots in a bag which he had to clean.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
But it does add some perspective.
I seem to remember reading that Stanley Matthews (greatest ever English player in some peoples eyes) used to get the bus to the ground then home, with his dirty boots in a bag which he had to clean.
We lived next door to a Fulham and Ireland international player called Jimmy Conway in 1970’s. I was just a baby so don’t remember but he played in the FA cup in 1975.
it was a very average 3 bed semi in south London along side other very average semi’s.
OK he wouldn’t be a Wayne Rooney but he would be a very well paid player now.
At the time my parents were in their 20’s with very normal jobs. Can you imagine a player of his ability living in a place like that now.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

There was plenty of money in football when Finney was playing, although nothing like what there is now. The difference now is that the players get the lion's share whereas in the old days, it was the owners of the football clubs that raked it in. Profiting from the efforts of the players

Putting to one side the amount of money they earn, I'd much rather the footballers were the ones making the money from the game

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There was plenty of money in football when Finney was playing, although nothing like what there is now. The difference now is that the players get the lion's share whereas in the old days, it was the owners of the football clubs that raked it in. Profiting from the efforts of the players

Putting to one side the amount of money they earn, I'd much rather the footballers were the ones making the money from the game
Exactly.

And those owners creamed the cash off for themselves, paying the players a pittance and leaving the stadiums to degenerate into the unsafe dumps that led to Bradford and Hillsborough, to name but two.

Top Bottom