One Premier League Footballer's "EARNINGS".......an amazing statistic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Hahaha

I’ve always thought that ‘No win No fee’ would be an incentive.

Lose 1-0, no pay.
Lose 2-0, no pay and your Range Rover gets torched.
That would save more money than you realise.

Because all the good players, the ones who could, would bog off to a club that paid them better, and you'd be stuck with players who no one else wants. You'll never win a match.

No wins, no pay!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Premier league grounds sell out at the prices they set, sufficient people buy tv sports bundles for Sky to pay the clubs what they do. Until Joe Bloggs on the terrace works out that they are getting rubbish value for money then the gold plated gravy train will keep running.
I’m not sure it’s rubbish value for money but I get your point. For me the Sky money was the beginning of the end and I have fallen out of love with the sport completely.

I used to avidly listen to the radio, watch TV, buy newspapers both local and national and read football forums. Today I do none of these things other than scan read a fans’ forum for my club.

The whole game has become totally obsessed with itself in the attempt to constantly fill hours of media time, pages of newspapers. The game is awash with idiot ex players set up as authoritative pundits etc. Each one spouting more nonsense than the last. I really detest the PL and all that surrounds it.

I couldn’t name an England player other than Rooney and with very few exceptions if you asked “who does player x play for” I wouldn’t know who he is.

All of my disconnect with football can be traced through the excessive and obscene amounts of money which the game has wasted.

My one love remains Blackburn Rovers. We are still season ticket holders, always will be and go to every home game. My club and that is something few fans ever loose.

Do I want to see Rovers back in the PL? Yes. Does that make my views hypocritical? Not sure. I’d just like to watch a better standard than we have today.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Since the Premier League split from the FA they have done a remarkably good job marketing English football around the world.

You go to practically any country in the world now and as soon as the locals know you're English the first thing they want to talk about is "their" English football team

It's overseas sales of TV rights and associated marketing that's pumping the money into the game. Not oligarchs, certainly not BBC license fees. Even ticket sales are not the prime revenue source

So good luck to all in what is actually an enormously successful British export industry

Levo-Lon

Guru
I find it quite strange that a club pays bonuses for goals and even for assists. Would that not tend to encourage greedy players going for goal when they might be better to pass the ball? The fact that I don't see this type of greedy play happening very often makes me wonder if perhaps there is something in the small print along the lines of.... "If you try and score a goal from an impossible situation then you will be on minimum wage for that particular game". Penalties too; why aren't there more bust-ups over who takes them?

This would explain Sterlings approach ,annoying greedy player who loses the ball when he realises he has no idea what to do when he reaches a group of defenders.

Slick

Guru
I’m not sure it’s rubbish value for money but I get your point. For me the Sky money was the beginning of the end and I have fallen out of love with the sport completely.

I used to avidly listen to the radio, watch TV, buy newspapers both local and national and read football forums. Today I do none of these things other than scan read a fans’ forum for my club.

The whole game has become totally obsessed with itself in the attempt to constantly fill hours of media time, pages of newspapers. The game is awash with idiot ex players set up as authoritative pundits etc. Each one spouting more nonsense than the last. I really detest the PL and all that surrounds it.

I couldn’t name an England player other than Rooney and with very few exceptions if you asked “who does player x play for” I wouldn’t know who he is.

All of my disconnect with football can be traced through the excessive and obscene amounts of money which the game has wasted.

My one love remains Blackburn Rovers. We are still season ticket holders, always will be and go to every home game. My club and that is something few fans ever loose.

Do I want to see Rovers back in the PL? Yes. Does that make my views hypocritical? Not sure. I’d just like to watch a better standard than we have today.
Good post, well put and I kind of feel your pain with a lot of what you say and definitely your love of your club, I've always known that is a life long thing. It does pose one conundrum, how can a long term season ticket holder fall out of love with the sport entirely, and as you use the word "we" I'm assuming you are talking about your entire family?

AndyRM

XOXO
Hang on... they get a bonus for scoring? Isn't that what a wendyballer get paid for in the first place ?

Loathsome.

Yeah, 'keepers are expected to average a goal every 3 games...

For someone who apparently hates the game you seem to pop up on every thread started about it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good post, well put and I kind of feel your pain with a lot of what you say and definitely your love of your club, I've always known that is a life long thing. It does pose one conundrum, how can a long term season ticket holder fall out of love with the sport entirely, and as you use the word "we" I'm assuming you are talking about your entire family?

“We” is myself and two sons, 28 & 30. We’ve been going together for 24 & 26 year’s respectively. I failed with my third son who after being dragged to Ewood for eight seasons at aged 13 quietly asked “Do I really have to go next year?”

The “my club” thing is strange. It never changes. We’ve had seven years of purgatory at Ewood with a glimmer of hope this season. Even in those dark years there would still come those gut wrenching moments when all the pride suddenly returned.

I always say every fan deserves a moment in the sun and Rovers fans have been fortunate to have roughly 25 years of that from ‘85 to 2010.

My eldest, who was with me at Anfield in ‘95, complains at 7 he wasn’t old enough to appreciate it.

The thing that is missing these days, and this is entirely driven by money, is loyalty. This is what makes the huge difference to me. There used to be a loyalty, a belief the players really played for, cared about the club. That gave a connection between players and fans but this, thanks to money, has become a massive disconnect. I think two of our current squad “care,” understand if you like, what it means to the support.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Since the Premier League split from the FA they have done a remarkably good job marketing English football around the world.

You go to practically any country in the world now and as soon as the locals know you're English the first thing they want to talk about is "their" English football team

It's overseas sales of TV rights and associated marketing that's pumping the money into the game. Not oligarchs, certainly not BBC license fees. Even ticket sales are not the prime revenue source

So good luck to all in what is actually an enormously successful British export industry

I understand this and appreciate the argument. I have a very good friend who’s truly enjoying a great job associated with the PL.

For me though it is not an export, it’s a sport my team competes in. Where I would vehemently disagree with your post is the word “English” this could not be further from the truth. I’m not a little Englander but there really is nothing English about the PL.

I could still name the City team under Mercer or Liverpool under Shankly. I know Sterling is at City, the last Liverpool player I can recall is Gerrard. That’s not healthy for the game.

I gather song sheets are being handed out at Old Trafford - nothing else to say. Sums up the PL in one simple action.

Back in the sixties, United's match day programme had a centre spread of songs for the fans to sing. Trite lyrics to sing along to hits of the day. To the tune of Georgie Fame and the Blue Flame's Bonnie and Clyde, I remember "Denis and George were educated people and being educated they were born for football. Now having some sense they went to Man United ..." and that's where memory fails me. I can't remember anyone ever singing along.

Slick

Guru
“We” is myself and two sons, 28 & 30. We’ve been going together for 24 & 26 year’s respectively. I failed with my third son who after being dragged to Ewood for eight seasons at aged 13 quietly asked “Do I really have to go next year?”

The “my club” thing is strange. It never changes. We’ve had seven years of purgatory at Ewood with a glimmer of hope this season. Even in those dark years there would still come those gut wrenching moments when all the pride suddenly returned.

I always say every fan deserves a moment in the sun and Rovers fans have been fortunate to have roughly 25 years of that from ‘85 to 2010.

My eldest, who was with me at Anfield in ‘95, complains at 7 he wasn’t old enough to appreciate it.

The thing that is missing these days, and this is entirely driven by money, is loyalty. This is what makes the huge difference to me. There used to be a loyalty, a belief the players really played for, cared about the club. That gave a connection between players and fans but this, thanks to money, has become a massive disconnect. I think two of our current squad “care,” understand if you like, what it means to the support.
Ah, I think I do understand now. Still in love with the game, just hate what those at the top have done with it.

Top Bottom