Only my second ride out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Didn't quite make the 20mile mark 18.7 I total but some of those hills really took it out of me.

Toe clips have made a huge difference and allow me to put a lot more power through the pedals.

really good for it roll on next weekend for another ride out no matter what the weather.
Well done on just getting out . Targets are nice but don't get to obsessed with them just enjoy and the distance will comes . There is a saying winter miles make summer smiles. Meaning the I miles you put in during winter make summer riding more enjoyable as you have the fittness

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Well done on just getting out . Targets are nice but don't get to obsessed with them just enjoy and the distance will comes . There is a saying winter miles make summer smiles. Meaning the I miles you put in during winter make summer riding more enjoyable as you have the fittness
Yeah that's my plan get some decent milage under my belt over the winter with the added help of the turbo trainer in the hope that come summer I will be fitter and ready to do the bigger rides for longer.

My big aim is by September next year to be in a position to cycle a charity event hopefully 100k but if not I will be happy with 50k.

I need to loose the spare tire around my belly and improve my fitness. Already I can feel a massive difference and even my fave jeans are getting a little looser

13 rider

Guru
Yeah that's my plan get some decent milage under my belt over the winter with the added help of the turbo trainer in the hope that come summer I will be fitter and ready to do the bigger rides for longer.

My big aim is by September next year to be in a position to cycle a charity event hopefully 100k but if not I will be happy with 50k.

I need to loose the spare tire around my belly and improve my fitness. Already I can feel a massive difference and even my fave jeans are getting a little looser
Just keep you going as you are and come September you will be well up for 100 km . It's might seem a massive distance at the moment but you will be surprised at how quickly fitness comes just by riding regularly .

adamangler

Veteran
my first ride was about 10 miles as 12mph

ive stop started for the last 3 years, getting up to about 16mph but now im back to 12mph as just started again.
Average speed doesnt mean a whole lot, i went out today in terrible wind and lots of hills and averaged 11.5mph, riding mostly at tempo. yesterday i averaged 13mph whilst riding mainly in zone 2 on the flat.

and 100k is only about 60 miles, i would expect t be able to do that in about 3 months rather than year without too much problems at all, its fairly easy to ride 60miles even as a noob just ride very slowly and fuel correctly

cm2mackem

Über Member
In April there's a sportive from Billericay around chelmsford and Ongar, the 40miler is easy something you could aim for, it's very well planned and we'll staffed,

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
In April there's a sportive from Billericay around chelmsford and Ongar, the 40miler is easy something you could aim for, it's very well planned and we'll staffed,
Oh really that sounds interesting is there a website or anything I could go to to get some more info.

40 miles should be a breeze by then and it would be good to hook up with a few others.

Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
My mistake it's in June, done too many this year, it's called the Essex Orchid and is usually advertised on the Essex Roads website
Brilliant gives me a little longer to train. I will take a look and may just take part

leedsmick

my first ride back cycling was with the kids, a little 5.5 mile slow ride. I couldn't walk for a couple of days after ! That was only 3 months ago, it only took me a couple of weeks of going only 2/3 times a week to start properly enjoying it and it not hurting

John Peel

Now that might not sound much but I am 18 stone work in and office environment and as stated in amother thread have been a self confessed couch potato for well over 10 years.

How you getting on now? I was never a regular cyclist myself, and at 151kg I was a big guy to say the least. Oh the pain hey. But I ordered a touring bike, and 2 weeks after delivery, I was gone, attempting to cycle completely around the world - Crazy B#stard hey - I managed 3300 in 3 months but the bike has to be returned for major repairs, otherwise I would still be out there. I got down to 132 kg in that short time too. Its for sure the way to lose weight.

slow scot

Veteran
Brilliant gives me a little longer to train. I will take a look and may just take part
Keep doing what you're doing; you seem to have the ride/right attitude which is more important than anything else, and fitness will creep up on you before you know it. Being addicted, as you are becoming, is normal!
My only suggestion would be to do some reading about the sport; perhaps starting off with some books by legendary touring cyclists like Anne Mustoe who only started cycling in her retirement but did some amazing things on her bike. There are many others out there, my own favourite being Dervla Murphy. Local library plus Amazon second hand copies would be the way to go.

Ice2911

Über Member
Well done so far and it does get very addictive. I was just over 19 stone lost some weight and started cycling the end of October last year. I've lost 5 1/2 stone. I read some books like slow Scot said above, blood sweat and gears which was about cycling Lands End to John O Groats and trying local beers on the way. In October my first ride was less than 5 miles, I did 15 I think by end of October. This year I cycled LE to JOG unsupported on my own with my own pub crawl and cake log. Link to my blog is on here in touring section if you were interested. I have covered 6000 miles this year. I just love it and I'm totally addicted and try to get out 4 or 5 times a week. Just keep enjoying it. I'm surprised no one yet has said to you that hills always remain painful, you just get faster :smile: enjoy the ride the distances soon build up you will be amazed.. The support on here really helped me as well.

Top Bottom