Only my second ride out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
So I picked my bike up last weekend and took it for a test run, which ended up as a 6.9mile ride.

After getting a few little bits for the bike this week and some padded shorts (oh how much nicer it is to ride in these) I jumped on the bike and this time turned Strava on to set a bench mark for future progress.

I decided to add a small additional loop to my last run to push me over the 7 mile mark which I am so glad I did.

Finished up 7.4 miles 45 mins at an average speed of a smidgen over 10mph.

Now that might not sound much but I am 18 stone work in and office environment and as stated in amother thread have been a self confessed couch potato for well over 10 years.

I am rather surprised with my efforts and found the pace I set quite relaxing although there were a couple of slight inclines (I live in essex for most of you when I say incline you would probably see it as a drop in the pavement for access).

Just wondering what other people's first runs were like and where should I go next. Should I continue with the same route for a couple more months to monitor my progress or try to increase my avg speed or distance?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Making progress is a reasonable aim, but you cannot ride further and faster every time or you will end up having to cycle to Birmingham.

Keep an eye on Strava by all means, but don't let it rule your cycling.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Great effort!
My first ride was to the bottom of my street and back, twice! :laugh:
I now regularly ride around 20 to 35 miles or so.

I wouldn't worry about how fast you go....as your fitness increases you will notice the difference and you won't even notice the miles flying by!
I usually note how many miles I've done, but not speed etc.
I like to look about me, as I cycle on a lot of towpaths/woods and trails and there is often a lot of wildlife to see and I often stop to take photos :smile:
Just ride and enjoy!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Well Played.

as others have said, focus on distance, not speed.

@Pale Rider is quite right, you cant keep increasing your distance indefinitely but I do think you are correct to aim to increase it over a period. I reckon you should aim for a 30 mile ride...doesn't matter when you plan to, or how long it takes but set a goal now and aim for that....perhaps ride to Saffron Walden and get the train home

My advice, for what its worth...

When you are ready, break the ride into two and make sure you stop halfway for either a buttie or some cake...its cycling Law!!..and importantly, it breaks the distance down into more manageable, less intimidating lumps.

Also, plan "circular" routes. Don't just ride out, then turn round and ride back, that becomes dull and wont add to the sense of exploration,

Check out the elevation of your planned route (www.bikehike.co.uk)

Find...or make friends, who can join you on your quest...that...for me...is one of the most enjoyable things about riding. We'll have to see if there are any CC Members who could nip over to join you!!

Also, read blogs, check out the touring section of this site (https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/members-travelogues.46/), it gives you some great inspiration to get out and ride longer distances, plus in some cases some really helpful...real life hints.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:bravo: Jut keep at it, speed will come. :bicycle:

Cold

I started of with flat routes for about 2 months then added a hill here and there then started trying to go further and further before you know it your doing 30-50 miles with hills and those small inclines that used to knacker you , well you get to a point you don't even change gear going up them.

AM1

Well done with that, when I got back into rode riding about 18 months ago I initially was all done at 30k but then slowly and steadily increased the distance and now manage 80 to 90k, the time it takes me is irrelevant

As others have quite rightly said, don't get hung up over Strava etc, slow and steady wins the race ( not that it is a race obviously)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
When I moved to my last place, I discovered that the local buses could carry bikes on the back. Great, I thought, I could cycle all the way to Arnside and get the bus back. This is a grand distance of about 9 miles. Now the distance to Arnside and back only just qualifies as a reasonable short bimble...

I'd say don't just keep repeating the same route - you'll get bored. If you want to monitor your progress on the identical route, you only need to use that route occasionally.

Good luck with it! :okay:

As ScotiaLass said look about you it is amazing what you can find looking over badges whilst cycling. The other day I was out cycling with a friend and we came across a couple of barns full of old busses. It helps to keep your brain active and you don't notice the miles clocking up.
It may help to plan a circular route so if you find that you may have over done it there is a shortcut home.
Good luck and keep it up.
By the way I don't look over badges , they are hedges.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When I first got back on a road bike half a dozen years ago I assumed I was moderately fit... Dream on! 6 miles back from the shop was tough but great.
I went out a few days later for a 7 mile loop, and at about 5 miles 2 blokes well in to their 60's went past me up a hill like I was stood still!

Just keep at it, moderately paced and steady. Don't worry about speed, just enjoy your rides.

Top Bottom