Only my second ride out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Well the pain has well and truly kicked in now sat down and my thighs are burning.

Is it kind of weird to say I quite like the pain it just adds to the sense of achievement. The last time I felt my muscles ache was when I used to play rugby over 10 years ago.

I think a couple of rest days are in order now ☺

Next week's target to break the 15 mile mark and try to get close to the twenty. I think I had it in me today but at the last hill I could physically feel the muscles tearing so better safe than sorry.

My fault for not checking my route first may stick to less hilly options next weekend.

steve keay

Über Member
Your doing great. Rest days are definitely important.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
What do you guys do on rest days to keep yourself occupied. All my mind wants to do is jump on the bike again but my legs and back are saying no.

The back will be a bit of an issue for a while as I put my back out badly a few years ago and it has never been right. I realise that over time cycling should build my lower back muscles up a bit and should ease the pain.

My brother is lending me his turbo trainer that is just sitting in his garage as he just dosent have the time to get out on the bike so when the weather really gets rough at least I can set this up and burn some calories.

So I picked my bike up last weekend and took it for a test run, which ended up as a 6.9mile ride.
Err whot? Your first ever ride for years, and you did 6.9 miles? Very very well done, I started with a commute of just around 5 miles, and I nearly died the first few times I tried ;) I did also find it took about two weeks for my legs (and bum!) to get used to the idea. Don't expect too much of yourself to start and happy riding!

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Err whot? Your first ever ride for years, and you did 6.9 miles? Very very well done, I started with a commute of just around 5 miles, and I nearly died the first few times I tried ;) I did also find it took about two weeks for my legs (and bum!) to get used to the idea. Don't expect too much of yourself to start and happy riding!
I didn't really notice the distance on my first ride just got caught up in the enjoyment of riding.

This weekend I decided to take it a little more seriously by setting my self a target of surpassing the 7 mile mark which I did on Saturday and then I decided that the next mark was 10. After waking up on Sunday morning and seeing how nice it was the bike came out and off I went and beat my target of 10 miles by another 2.9.

I have taken it very easy and currently still struggle with some of the hills which tend to mean stopping half way refocusing and setting off again. It's not even like I am in the wrong gear as I have got that pretty spot on its just the legs give up and like an old pc need to be reset

Next week's target is the 15 mile mark and trying to conquer a couple of the smaller hills that caused me an issue.

13 rider

Guru
What do you guys do on rest days to keep yourself occupied. All my mind wants to do is jump on the bike again but my legs and back are saying no.

The back will be a bit of an issue for a while as I put my back out badly a few years ago and it has never been right. I realise that over time cycling should build my lower back muscles up a bit and should ease the pain.

My brother is lending me his turbo trainer that is just sitting in his garage as he just dosent have the time to get out on the bike so when the weather really gets rough at least I can set this up and burn some calories.
You always clean the bike on a rest day lube the chain etc plan some routes and then there cyclechat to get your cycling fix

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
You always clean the bike on a rest day lube the chain etc plan some routes and then there cyclechat to get your cycling fix
I cleaned the bike straight after my ride I am a little bit ocd like that lol plus saves me getting any dirtier than I already am lol.

As soon as I get my laptop back I will definitely be on Strava to look at the map and trace a good number of medium routes and a couple more tasking ones to choose from.

This forum has really been the inspiration and kick up the backside I needed especially with all the personal stuff going on.

simon.r

Person

This may sound obvious, but make sure you're in the correct position on the bike. Not just saddle height, but reach to the bars, drop to the bars and so on.

A bike fit is, in my opinion, worthwhile. I'm a recent convert: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bike-fit-cadence-sport-a-happy-customer.189165/

Aunty Tyke

I didn't really notice the distance on my first ride just got caught up in the enjoyment of riding.

This weekend I decided to take it a little more seriously by setting my self a target of surpassing the 7 mile mark which I did on Saturday and then I decided that the next mark was 10. After waking up on Sunday morning and seeing how nice it was the bike came out and off I went and beat my target of 10 miles by another 2.9.

I have taken it very easy and currently still struggle with some of the hills which tend to mean stopping half way refocusing and setting off again. It's not even like I am in the wrong gear as I have got that pretty spot on its just the legs give up and like an old pc need to be reset

Next week's target is the 15 mile mark and trying to conquer a couple of the smaller hills that caused me an issue.
Be sure to have small rests,find it really helps. When I go with the slow cycle group,they do this,just a few minutes each time.plenty of water.

Fisheh

What do you guys do on rest days to keep yourself occupied. All my mind wants to do is jump on the bike again but my legs and back are saying no..

Make sure you get a rest day after every ride at first, nothing worse than getting injured and being grounded for days/weeks . You may find it helps to go for a reasonable walk on your cycle free day , will loosen off any tight muscles and burn calories :-) .
My cycle days are my rest from running but its took me all year to get to this point , and I'm still overdoing it at times.
Just take care and enjoy it ....

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I cleaned the bike straight after my ride I am a little bit ocd like that lol plus saves me getting any dirtier than I already am lol.

As soon as I get my laptop back I will definitely be on Strava to look at the map and trace a good number of medium routes and a couple more tasking ones to choose from.

This forum has really been the inspiration and kick up the backside I needed especially with all the personal stuff going on.
Glad its all helping.

You mentioned two questions up thread, that I'll have a stab at answering.
one was how to gain strava buddies.

Well there are a few ways, first...get some mates into cycling with you and introduce them each to strava.

Second is, when you are out and about, you may meet other local riders on a pretty regular basis. When you get hone check out strava "flybys"...the link appears just below the title of the activity (ride) that you are looking at. Flybys shows an animated view of everyone who rode across or along your route that day, you can click on the riders you met and send a request to follow them.

As others have mentioned, a fair amount of us are in the cyclechat strava club too.

A word of warning, I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers of followers and the like and would be inclined to keep it to proper friends or friends of friends.

The second question was about rest days. Rest days are important but don't be afraid to take a gentle ride as a rest. There is a famous tv interview with Bradley Wiggins where a tv interviewer questions his ability to ride the tour de France having only just completed another epic tour...he stared at the interviewer before saying "you really don't know anything about cycling, do you?".

Whilst some days its hard, you'll amaze yourself at how much the body can do and how, sometimes doing more is "easier" than doing less.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Right so this week a few little bits and bods have been delivered namely a couple of set of toe clips a rear & rear reflector courtesy of a very nice member of the forum.

A basic tool kit and puncture repair kit. Yes I was riding by the seat of my pants last weekend and finally a set of Crud mk2 mud flaps which were given to me as the person had 2 sets and didn't need these as his current hybrid already had mud guards fitted from the factory.

So Sunday pre ride is all about getting these little bits fitted ready for a nice long ride 20miles if I can muster up the strength.

I have been itching to get back out on the bike but work commitments and travel time mean by the time I get home I am just about still awake to shove something to eat in me and bed.

On a plus note I have been doing a few core exercises to help build my strength up and with the turbo trainer my brother is lending me I should be able no matter what time I get home to put in 30 mins of training a night in prep for a weekend ride out.

God I never knew how addictive this cycling stuff could be

Aunty Tyke

Right so this week a few little bits and bods have been delivered namely a couple of set of toe clips a rear & rear reflector courtesy of a very nice member of the forum.

A basic tool kit and puncture repair kit. Yes I was riding by the seat of my pants last weekend and finally a set of Crud mk2 mud flaps which were given to me as the person had 2 sets and didn't need these as his current hybrid already had mud guards fitted from the factory.

So Sunday pre ride is all about getting these little bits fitted ready for a nice long ride 20miles if I can muster up the strength.

I have been itching to get back out on the bike but work commitments and travel time mean by the time I get home I am just about still awake to shove something to eat in me and bed.

On a plus note I have been doing a few core exercises to help build my strength up and with the turbo trainer my brother is lending me I should be able no matter what time I get home to put in 30 mins of training a night in prep for a weekend ride out.

God I never knew how addictive this cycling stuff could be
Totally agree,addicted too!

Top Bottom