Only my second ride out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Well done getting out there thats what matters , as other have said dont worry about speed just go at a steady pace . Slowly work up the distance 10 mile target then 15 etc. As milage increases and fitness improves speed will just come to you . My first ride was 6 miles within a year I done a 100 miler beware cycling is addictive but don't forget to enjoy it

Last edited:

the_craig

Über Member
Good on you.

You're out there, doing it so you're already faster than everyone sitting on their erse, watching Strictly or some other rubbish.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Wow thanks for all the support and positive messages.

The best part about today's ride is I feel great and already want to get out on the bike tommorrow. I will have plenty of time as not got anything planned as such so the plan is to break the 10 mile mark if not more and just cycle around a nice round circuit at a pace I can content with.

I have set myself a target of doing one of the charity rides next September whether it be a 50k or 100k will depend on fitness but I am aiming for the 100k.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have set myself a target of doing one of the charity rides next September whether it be a 50k or 100k will depend on fitness but I am aiming for the 100k.
100 K should be quite attainable by next year, if you keep up the cycling over the winter, especially. I'm quite large, and can do a good job of it. I think my first metric century was one year after I started, and I do not recall any great amount of training, just gradually increasing distance as I went. Keep fed, keep hydrated, have a good time of it.

jay clock

Massive member
Steve, you are doing it just fine. When I first got into cycling I genuinely assumed 5 miles was an impossible distance to cycle to work

So little, and often, increasing 10-15% per week is ideal.

If you can start to cycle to work a few days a week that is the perfect solution.

At 18 stone, all you need to do is pay a little attention to diet and weight will drop off

ENJOY

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
One other point, whilst I do agree not to get hung up on speed, I dont believe that the recording sites like strava, ride with GPS and endemodo are all about speed.

I am hooked on strava but don't chase PB's or segments...I LOVE seeing the distance that I have ridden, and my all time distance.

I also find that seeing my mates head out In All weathers helps to remind me that I need to, too.

Plus all the comments, kudos (stravas form of "likes") and achievements...and heatmaps...all help.

Used in the way that works for you, strava and the like are massively motivational apps that I have found to have transformed my riding...just like joining cyclechat has already given you a boost and sense of companionship and support....these site do the same for me.

Just don't go chasing other riders speeds.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Well today I decided as it was so nice outside to go for another ride. I know I will regret it in the morning

Living back with my parents now I decided to take a sedate ride around the rural parts of Essex.

I must say I am rather pleased with myself having broken the 10 mile mark and in fact cycling 12.9 miles in total. The hills were the killer and a number of times I ended up stopping half way up them to gain some for of composure. God knows what the guy on the bike who passed me must of thought. Bright red face sweat dripping all over and puffing and panting lol.

I must say having used strava twice now I am definitely more fixed on the distance and pushing myself to the next level it's great to see the elevation and avg speed but like so many of you have said distance is what matters and with distance comes fitness and speed.

I am shocked by how easy I have found jumping on the bike to be. It's safe to say that in only my 3Rd ride I am totally hooked and now thinking I should keep the bike in the boot of the car and straight after work go out on a loop around the town for an hour. Just to add to my fitness levels.

Thanks again for all your kind coments and support I have truly fallen on love with this forum.

On a sub note I don't have any contacts who use strava how do I go about adding new contacts?

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Steve, you are doing it just fine. When I first got into cycling I genuinely assumed 5 miles was an impossible distance to cycle to work

So little, and often, increasing 10-15% per week is ideal.

If you can start to cycle to work a few days a week that is the perfect solution.

At 18 stone, all you need to do is pay a little attention to diet and weight will drop off

ENJOY
The diet and food habits has already been put in place but I knew that even with reduce calorie intake sitting around at work all day and then when I got home was never going to help.

I would love to cycle to work but I would be an absolute mess there are two very long mid gradients running up to the town I work in as it's on top of a smallish valley both of which are at least 1/2 a mile distance with no levelling out. Once at work we have no facilities to shower and I really don't think my collegues would take to kindly to my new aftershave lol.

13 rider

Guru
Well done again lovely day for a ride . If you know peoples name who use strava you use the search for athletes and ask to follow them . Been warned they could be a lot quicker than you don't let that discourage you. Your only just starting.

davdandy

unnamed.jpg

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Well done again lovely day for a ride . If you know peoples name who use strava you use the search for athletes and ask to follow them . Been warned they could be a lot quicker than you don't let that discourage you. Your only just starting.
Yeah I did think that. May just stay Billy no mates for a bit and use it for my own personal measure then start to add people over time.

Yazzoo

Try to use your bike for a purpose every now and then - stick a back pack on next time you need milk and do it on the bike, visit friends etc - if you're using it as a mode of transport the miles will creep up without you even thinking about it! Scheduling in a stop is good advice, think of it as two 15mile rides rather than a 30mile ride

My sons triathlon coach always tells them all to work their way up to 40mile rides in distance, even if it's only once, just so they KNOW they can do 40 miles, then they bring the distance down and aim to up the speed - pushing on for 20 seems easier mentally if you know you can do at least double that distance!

Top Bottom