Opinion requested for an incident in Nottingham

Was this incident my fault within the rules of the road?

• Yes

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Difficult to determine

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It would be worth finding out if the entrance to the Park and Ride is covered by CCTV - it would be a prime location for it.
Act quickly, as if there is footage it could solve all you problems.
Certainly looks as though the car park itself is. Whether they'll have caught the goings on in the road is another matter.
Screenshots_2015-04-21-19-41-03.png

simon.r

Person
Regardless of who was at fault I think the question anyone involved in an incident like this needs to ask themselves is 'could I have done something to prevent it happening?' I prefer to filter up the outside of traffic where possible, but that road doesn't lend itself to doing that (I know the road well). So, I'd suggest there are 2 ways you could have avoided being knocked off:

1 - Not filtering at all.
2 - Filtering very very carefully, especially when there is a chance that a vehicle will be turning left into a side road or other entrance.

Personally, I take the second option. I'd go as far as to say it's probably best not to undertake at all if there is a side road / entrance on the left.

Please don't misinterpret my comments as suggesting that you're at fault. BUT, in an incident like that there's only ever going to be one injured party and I think it makes sense to ask what / how / if you could grave avoided it.

Edit - what bought this thread to my attention was doing a search for 'Nottingham' to see if there were any posts about the cyclist who died this morning on Crown Island (which is about 2 miles from where the OP's incident was:sad:).

DRM

Guru
I would say the motorist would seem to be at fault, but I think her and the other driver will collude against you, take care out there, the standard of driving in Nottingham is appalling to sh*t at best.

noodle

Devils advocate I'm not saying right or wrong

Was there anything to indicate your right of way?
Where are the liabilities for 'undertaking' and in reality doing it coming up to a junction where turning left would seem highly likely

There are a growing number of commercial vehicles that have signage for cyclist to avoid this by overtaking filtering call it what you will on the right

Another devils advocate if it was a motorbike doing 20 mph would everyone still say the car drivers fault? In a left hand lane with a possible left turn coming up should anyone have to expect another vehicle passing them on the wrong side that's of course when they are in the correct lane indicating there intentions to turn

Personally in traffic when driving if much sooner a cyclist pass on my right than my left. If they were doing so if always leave room (if I was aware early enough) for them to get in front of me.

"you were undertaking" is what that doofus towing the trailer said when he nearly forced magnatom off the road. That driver got 6 points, IIRC.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Definitely not your fault, unfortunately there are a of of morons around like this who make the mistake and then blame the cyclist. I had an incident on the Edgware Road yesterday in which white van man was turning right across my path , I braked he nearly hit me and called me a self-gratification artist. I returned a few expletives and had forgotten it by the time I was cycling down through Hyde Park. Don't let it put you off. I personally don't like to get involved with aggressive exchanges and its usually better to cycle on but sometimes you can't help it.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
if they overtook, their fault. If you undertook - partly your fault, I would say, but I am not a policeman or a lawyer.

Top Bottom