Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I think you are both real ‘troupers’ for continuing to ride and refusing to take the easy option and give up. I almost feel a fraud when owning/riding this bike without any real impediments apart from a 72 year old body

Southernguns

I just hope I can ride or run at 72! There is nothing fraudulent about it. You could go out and buy the lightest bike on the market with the easiest gearing on the market to get you up hills, but you would not get enjoyment and would struggle to keep up with others, especially on flats. At the end of the day sport is for all - regardless of age, ability, physical impairment or size. Most importantly it is about enjoyment, and at whatever level you are at if something assists you in continuing to do something you enjoy, to a level that makes you happy, then who is anyone to say otherwise. Pro's look for any advantage to gain an edge. In swimming certain costumes have been banned due the advantage they gave athletes, but for a few years they were used, however, it did not make those pro swimmers frauds. Lyndsey Vonn skied on men's downhill skis in women's races because they were stiffer which gave her an advantage, Phil Taylor trained with a specially made dart board where the double and triple sections were narrower than on a competition board, a 72 year old at my snooker and pool club used to play at national level but now uses a cue that reduces throw and deflection as it improves his game because he now finds it harder to aim. I would not say that any of these would be considered frauds. They are just making use of what is available to them to do what they enjoy at the level they enjoy. I just love talking, meeting and seeing people who are overcoming whatever impairments they have to continue doing sport, and also people who are pioneers in training ideas and use of equipment developments. It would not surprise me if in the future bikes like these are used in various training environments across a range of sports at varying levels. For me it will be the perfect tool for base training in running, whilst reducing the injury risk caused by pounding the pavements for 40 miles a week in my running shoes. It will keep my heart rate in the correct zone whilst being able to get out and explore with friends. Anyway, looking at your times and speeds of the rides you have posted, they are faster than I can ride and you are nearly 30 years my senior. There is nothing fraudulent in that my friend. Keep up the cycling and the good work!!

Scaleyback

Veteran
I just hope I can ride or run at 72! There is nothing fraudulent about it. You could go out and buy the lightest bike on the market with the easiest gearing on the market to get you up etc !

Well ‘Southernguns’ my “ fraud “ comment was a little ‘ tongue in cheek ‘ but I enjoyed reading your fulsome reply and a big thank you from me for your kind words.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I haven’t been using it for a while, except to check my battery state after a ride.
Any info on what has been updated/improved ?
"Resolve minor bugs (very infrequent crashes). Comply with new Facebook Platform Policies. Send logs for stats in in Firebase"
"very infrequent crashes" !!!!!!

I think you are both real ‘troupers’ for continuing to ride and refusing to take the easy option and give up. I almost feel a fraud when owning/riding this bike without any real impediments apart from a 72 year old body
Thanks Roy - actually for me cycling is the easy option.

Kemilyon

Hello everyone. I just ordered an M20i LTD in the US, supposed to receive it in 3 weeks or so. There wasn’t a dealer who had one on the showroom floor within 500 miles so I purchased without a test ride. Only done this once before and still have the bike after 7 years so hoping I have another good experience. I’m 38, was an avid cyclist/racer for many years before breaking both of my feet in a fall and going through surgeries and recoveries the past 4 years. Have been shopping for e-bikes for a couple months, test rode a lot of the class 3 bikes popular here in the US but to varying degrees they didn’t quite feel like a “real” road bike. I think with the Gain I’ve landed on just what I want. I look forward to sharing my experience with you all, seems to be a great bike!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hi Kemilyon, and welcome. That's quite some bike! Look forward to hearing all about it.

Southernguns

Well I have just test ridden a gain D50 (in bright orange) and, after considering everyone's advice, I have ordered the D30 in black. It should be here in a week. I really fancied the D31 but they seem rarer than hens teeth. I am all excited to get it and get out on the road (and the odd trail). I just hope my back and hip injury resolves itself in time. I will keep you posted.

Last edited:

robgul

Legendary Member
Ah - the orange! I would have had that colour if it had been available when I bought my Gain, although I like the matt grey/black [I have customer at the shop with a non-electirc Orbea in orange - stunning!]

Rob

Southernguns

Yes, I was very tempted by the Orange - it did look great and was available. I think it even made me feel like I was riding faster! But on a test ride I went through a town and everyone was looking. Being the shy retiring type, I prefer to be a little more incognito. Also - less risk of being Tango'd (for those of you that remember the advert).

Southernguns

Interestingly at 184cm tall I thought (and according to Orbea's sizing charts) that I would need the large sized bike. I test road a medium though, as it was all they had in, and it felt fine. I have read that some people think the Gain is measured slightly big, but others disagree so I guess the verdict is still out there on this. Maybe I am just a weird shape!

robgul

Legendary Member
No - I'm 6'4" and expected XL but was advised to have an L and that's the right size - unlike Italian cycle jerseys Spanish bikes are bigger than expected

Storck

That's reassuring. I was worrying a little that I had shrunk!

If further confirmation required? I too have the medium, normally would have purchased a large. Even with a low head tube (compared to my Trek Domane) the medium feels just right. Large, would have been too big.

Top Bottom