Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickWi

Guru
That also makes sense with the sizing of the Large. I'm 6'0" and the size of the Gain it comparable with my other bikes at 23 1/2" or 590mm.

Also, did my first Audax of the year today, lo & behold there was another Gain on it. Different groupset to mine, but same bright Orange!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Nicest e-bike I have seen.

My friend purchased one in Spain and it is absolutely stunning.

At first I didn't realise it was an e-bike and although I'm not sure of its weight it didn't exactly feel heavy.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Orbea-Gain-M20-Carbon-2019

Orbea-Gain-D20-Alloy-Electric-Road-Bike-2019-Orange-780x468.jpg

Storck

Yes, I was very tempted by the Orange - it did look great and was available. I think it even made me feel like I was riding faster! But on a test ride I went through a town and everyone was looking. Being the shy retiring type, I prefer to be a little more incognito. Also - less risk of being Tango'd (for those of you that remember the advert).

I'm pleased to hear everyone was having a look, that's why I chose the warm orange. No, not out of vanity? But for safety reason's? To be seen by motorists. Since I've found Carnac cycling gloves in the same colour along with an orange road jersey for warmer days. I also regardless of the amount of sunlight, ride with a flashing rear light. My next bike I purchase, a Gain "D" will also be orange coloured. You need all the help you can get, to be seen on our crowded roads.

Southernguns

If further confirmation required? I too have the medium, normally would have purchased a large. Even with a low head tube (compared to my Trek Domane) the medium feels just right. Large, would have been too big.
Thank you for the reassurance, Storck. I agree, I think the large would have been too big. The LBS is fitting 32mm tubeless tyres instead of the standard 25/28mm. This should hopefully aid comfort, be good on the road and be suitable for entry level gravel riding - thanks again for the advice on this one Storck and Scaleyback.

Last edited:

Southernguns

I have the orange Gain D30, always my 1st choice colour.
I think Orange is the colour to go for and I considered for a long time. However, I always like the idea of bright colours but in reality my tastes are quite reserved and I much prefer whites, grey and blacks. I even drink Guinness!

Southernguns

I'm pleased to hear everyone was having a look, that's why I chose the warm orange. No, not out of vanity? But for safety reason's? To be seen by motorists. Since I've found Carnac cycling gloves in the same colour along with an orange road jersey for warmer days. I also regardless of the amount of sunlight, ride with a flashing rear light. My next bike I purchase, a Gain "D" will also be orange coloured. You need all the help you can get, to be seen on our crowded roads.
Safety is a big issue, obviously, and I think the orange would look great with black shorts and black/orange jersey, orange gloves and orange helmet. Everyone I spoke to prefers the orange Even the LBS manager was trying to get me to buy the orange (he had an M20 in blue and orange which looked stunning. It was kitted out with extras and was £6,000. If money was no object I would have had that), but despite my heart saying orange, my head kept whispering black.

magesh

Hello All:

New to this group & thought I would share my exp' on the Orbea Gain D21. I got it on May 3rd with a 40mm tubeless setup.

Intro: I'm a 52 year old guy in Portland, OR and got into biking about 8 years back, 4+ years got into MTB & a year back or so into gravel. I used to ride my Norco Indie or my Norco Torrent for the gravel rides.

I test rode, 40 miles, a D40 several weeks back and loved the experience. It felt like an extension to my riding capabilities as opposed to a limitation/cheating. I was hooked. I have wanted a gravel bike to my quiver & ordered a D21 that arrived 2+ weeks later. I picked it up on 3rd May.

I rode 9th May, on a 35 mile / 2800 ft. There was only one extended gravel climb and the rest of it was on road. I used the assist throughout to gauge the ebike app & the bike battery.
Battery Remaining: 25%
Phone Battery decreased by 30%. (reason being, I'm on T-Mobile & they are not known for the best coverage & hence I know I lost some battery due to signal pings.)

On May 11th, I did another 35 mile / 3200 feet, of which 80% was on gravel. I used the bike battery only on the major climbs for about 2 minutes each & toggled between green & orange levels.
Battery Remaining: 73%

Takeaway:
I have got some grief on my purchase from my fellow roadies & MTB'ers on this purchase and I believed them initially. But knowing what I know now, I'll not go back, for some/all of these reasons:

- My knees don't hurt as much
- I enjoy my climbs more
- I see my cadence getting better
- Psychologically, its a huge mental relief, knowing there is a 'friend' to help you if needed. Whether I use it or not is my prerogative.
- I want to ride more & the threat of a headwind or a hill is mitigated.
- I come back home with more energy left to tackle the rest of the day.

. This bike weighs about 35 lbs (sans water bottles) and my speed on the climbs were not any faster than my regular bike. And on the flats or downhills, in excess of 20+ mph, there is ZERO value to the motor.
. On the steep grades, the bike does have better traction than my other bike. It may be because of the rear weight; or just better tires.
. The iWoc switch was easy to use by the end of the 2nd ride. I did not have to look down to see what mode/level I was in. Since its a cycle (ON > LOW > MED > HIGH) it was easy to judge what mode was I was in. It took the same effort of reaching for your water bottle.

- And I know I'll be riding alone on some of my rides going forward. :-(.
- When I started riding 8+ years back, there was the goal to reduce weight, get better, keep pace lines, compare speed/elevation/etc.
- The past 2 years, I have got social, with stops to enjoy the ride; look around me & soak it in ... AND just enjoy being on the bike. Simple.

Anyhow, I'm thankful I got the bike & hope to put a lot (s)miles on it.

Rubber to the road always.

Cheers,
M

P.S:: Shout out to the LBS, Veloce Bicycles, for helping with this bike - demo & purchase. Its been a great experience so far.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I picked the 'anthracite' one. I like the understated subtle grey/black mix. All my bikes are black/grey, so why change? Club kit is bright orange, black and white anyway, and a totally orange bike would have been a bit over the top ;)
edit - see pics earlier in the thread

edit again - hi magesh - and welcome! Good to read your review.

Last edited:

Storck

Hello All:

New to this group & thought I would share my exp' on the Orbea Gain D21. I got it on May 3rd with a 40mm tubeless setup.

Intro: I'm a 52 year old guy in Portland, OR and got into biking about 8 years back, 4+ years got into MTB & a year back or so into gravel. I used to ride my Norco Indie or my Norco Torrent for the gravel rides.

I test rode, 40 miles, a D40 several weeks back and loved the experience. It felt like an extension to my riding capabilities as opposed to a limitation/cheating. I was hooked. I have wanted a gravel bike to my quiver & ordered a D21 that arrived 2+ weeks later. I picked it up on 3rd May.

I rode 9th May, on a 35 mile / 2800 ft. There was only one extended gravel climb and the rest of it was on road. I used the assist throughout to gauge the ebike app & the bike battery.
Battery Remaining: 25%
Phone Battery decreased by 30%. (reason being, I'm on T-Mobile & they are not known for the best coverage & hence I know I lost some battery due to signal pings.)

On May 11th, I did another 35 mile / 3200 feet, of which 80% was on gravel. I used the bike battery only on the major climbs for about 2 minutes each & toggled between green & orange levels.
Battery Remaining: 73%

Takeaway:
I have got some grief on my purchase from my fellow roadies & MTB'ers on this purchase and I believed them initially. But knowing what I know now, I'll not go back, for some/all of these reasons:

- My knees don't hurt as much
- I enjoy my climbs more
- I see my cadence getting better
- Psychologically, its a huge mental relief, knowing there is a 'friend' to help you if needed. Whether I use it or not is my prerogative.
- I want to ride more & the threat of a headwind or a hill is mitigated.
- I come back home with more energy left to tackle the rest of the day.

. This bike weighs about 35 lbs (sans water bottles) and my speed on the climbs were not any faster than my regular bike. And on the flats or downhills, in excess of 20+ mph, there is ZERO value to the motor.
. On the steep grades, the bike does have better traction than my other bike. It may be because of the rear weight; or just better tires.
. The iWoc switch was easy to use by the end of the 2nd ride. I did not have to look down to see what mode/level I was in. Since its a cycle (ON > LOW > MED > HIGH) it was easy to judge what mode was I was in. It took the same effort of reaching for your water bottle.

- And I know I'll be riding alone on some of my rides going forward. :-(.
- When I started riding 8+ years back, there was the goal to reduce weight, get better, keep pace lines, compare speed/elevation/etc.
- The past 2 years, I have got social, with stops to enjoy the ride; look around me & soak it in ... AND just enjoy being on the bike. Simple.

Anyhow, I'm thankful I got the bike & hope to put a lot (s)miles on it.

Rubber to the road always.

Cheers,
M

P.S:: Shout out to the LBS, Veloce Bicycles, for helping with this bike - demo & purchase. Its been a great experience so far.

Sounds Magesh as though you're one happy chappie? You have every right to be so. Great choice you made. Come back and let us all know how you doing, and your experience of riding the bike?

Scaleyback

Veteran
I know there are many interested in this bike so a current update on my experience.
Close to 600 miles completed on my Gain D30 ( I also ride a non-assisted road bike) I have to say this is the perfect pedal assisted bike for me.
I have just finished my 4th ride without needing to charge the battery. Total of 90 miles, 3,600ft of climbing 16.1mph avg speed and the
ebikemotion app shows 42% battery remaining. Admittedly not a lot of climbing for this mileage.
I am 72, 70kg and a pretty strong rider with no handicaps so you have to factor the rider in when looking at these figures.
" Just enough" I believe is Orbea's claim for the assistance on this bike and that describes it brilliantly.
I deliberated long and hard before buying this bike as I was concerned I would lose some fitness and stamina riding an assisted bike ?
If that has happened it is negligible. Riding this 16kg (on the road) bike, most of the time above the 15.5mph assist levels certainly
helps the fitness. I rarely if ever move out of the lowest assistance level 1 which again helps with the fitness. Incidentally I have 'dialled down'
the assistance levels to Level1 (lowest) 90% Level2 80% and Level3 70%. Many may say " why bother to buy the bike" and that is fair comment.
Apart from the fact I like nice shiny new bikes ^_^ It is reassuring to know the assistance is there when needed and age related decline is cetainly
noticeable over the last few years and it ain't gonna go away. :sad:
Absolutely brilliant bike providing you do not expect high levels of assistance over large distances.

Last edited:

Big-Andy

Hello everyone. I am new here and have just bought myself a new "old stock" D30 2018. Its basically the 2019 D40 with different rims and tyres but as I am not bothered about the rims it was a bargain buy for me. Tyres - I have read this forum on the GAIN and would like to know what tyres you suggest for a larger (19st) rider? The bike comes with the `Kenda 28c tyres but I read a lot of people here are not happy with them. I am not a serious rider so will only be doing 10 mile rides on mainly road and cycle paths so I don't need speed or weight saving, just a it of all weather grip and as much puncture resistance as possible. In addition to the tyres, is it worth buying the tubes that can have sealing gel applied too, or is this a bit of overkill? I won't say money is no object but I do have a budget for sensible extras too so given I probably won't be buying shoes and pedal clips etc, can anyone recommend a good set of "flat" pedals?

Also, havens seen anyone mention how long the GAIN battery takes to charge??
Andy

NickWi

Guru
If you're after an extreme puncture resistance tyre Schwalbe Marathon Plus are the way to go, particularly the latest 'Smart Guard' version which has a whopping 5mm thick band of puncture protection below the tread. BUT they're heavy and reports by some riders say they don't like the way they feel on the road.

Like you I’m no lightweight and on my Gain ( D20 Alloy 1x11) I use 28mm Pirelli P-Zero Velo 4s as I do prefer a lightweight tyre. When I bought them (just over a year ago) Pirelli marketed them as a lightweight rod, but all weather tyre with extra puncture protection. My Gain has now accumulated some 1,500miles and I've just had my first puncture with them so their puncture protection claims seem to sound reasonable to me. That particular tyre might be too lightweight for you, but tyre technology seems to have taken massive steps forward in the last few years and as with my choice of tyres it isn’t difficult to find good tyres that offer the best of both worlds.

Big-Andy

If you're after an extreme puncture resistance tyre Schwalbe Marathon Plus are the way to go, particularly the latest 'Smart Guard' version which has a whopping 5mm thick band of puncture protection below the tread. BUT they're heavy and reports by some riders say they don't like the way they feel on the road.

Like you I’m no lightweight and on my Gain ( D20 Alloy 1x11) I use 28mm Pirelli P-Zero Velo 4s as I do prefer a lightweight tyre. When I bought them (just over a year ago) Pirelli marketed them as a lightweight rod, but all weather tyre with extra puncture protection. My Gain has now accumulated some 1,500miles and I've just had my first puncture with them so their puncture protection claims seem to sound reasonable to me. That particular tyre might be too lightweight for you, but tyre technology seems to have taken massive steps forward in the last few years and as with my choice of tyres it isn’t difficult to find good tyres that offer the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the advice. The bike shop only deal in Maxxis/Continental/Specialized so if I had a choice of Conti Contact Plus City or the Marathons (I would fit them myself after delivery) is there much of a difference there or are they pretty much the same type/weight/feeling of tyre?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice. The bike shop only deal in Maxxis/Continental/Specialized so if I had a choice of Conti Contact Plus City or the Marathons (I would fit them myself after delivery) is there much of a difference there or are they pretty much the same type/weight/feeling of tyre?
Was conti 4 seasons as Choice? Those in 28mm would fit the bill. Don't bother with the slime gel-awful stuff.

Top Bottom