Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ckspark

Regular
I took my wife to test ride the Gain F40 and D50 at a nearby cycle shop. She preferred and bought the F40 because she is not used to drop bars or road levers, preferred the hydraulic disc brakes and the additional iwok3 on the F40. I'm planning on changing the heavy tyres for something lighter and tubeless. She took it out for a 15 mile ride today and really enjoyed it. The only issue she had was with the app which she started recording before hand but doesn't seem to show any of power or assistance usage.
With regards to the turbo trainer, yes we do use Zwift but have no intention of cheating. The beauty of the Gain was the ability to use it as a standard, if heavy, un assisted bike as well.

Southernguns

Sorry, I maybe didn't explain it very well. The bikes here cut out at 15.5 mph. I was talking about the 'power' gauge in the app and that I appear to get less assist when I'm going at about 6mph up a hill than when I'm going about 10mph on a smaller hill.

The range just seems to be a bit less than promised, especially as I am going at over 15.5 mph for a fair bit of time and therefore not using the assist. But I know terrain and rider (& pannier etc. ) weight will affect how it performs for me.

I find that I use a lot of power quickly when going up 12 - 20% climbs, especially in Level 3 assist (red - set at 100%) on gravel. The other day I covered 7 miles uphill and had used 25% of the battery. However, as soon as I hit downhill and flat, even though I was on gravel and always travelling at less than 15.5 mph so was constantly using the battery, I was able to use only Level 1 power assist (green set at 100%) and found that after 24 miles total riding I still had 56% battery remaining. I also find similar results on road when riding hilly terrain but rarely use Level 3 assist on road and all rides tend to average out at about 1% per mile on the road.

I have also played around a lot with technique. Riding slowly, but spinning low gears seems to be much easier and give more assistance for me than trying to grind up hills in slightly higher gears. I have not looked into how this effects battery usage though. I have also not played with the power levels much as my bike is currently being replaced after the frame was damaged in transit. However, it might be worth experimenting and seeing if having Level 1 (green assist) at 100% uses less battery than say Level 2 (orange) at 75% and so on, rather than say level 1 at 75% which may mean you turn to using level 2 earlier on your commute. Thus resulting in more battery usage over the total distance. It might require some experimenting. It might also be worth bearing in mind that you are using the flat bar version so you are going to be less aerodynamic than riders on the drop bar versions. If you are lucky enough to be broad shouldered and barrel chested then you will be less aerodynamic again. I guess this would use more battery than a rider on the drop bar version. If the aim for your commute is to arrive non sweaty then I would have all 3 levels on 100% for your commute (you can always have an alternative setting for non commute rides). Having said that, I have never been able to do a ride on the gain without being sweaty as the bike is designed to still make you work.

Last edited:

Southernguns

With regards to the turbo trainer, yes we do use Zwift but have no intention of cheating. The beauty of the Gain was the ability to use it as a standard, if heavy, un assisted bike as well.

I have seen one put on a turbo trainer for a bike fit (no idea what model turbo trainer). It worked fine without battery power but as soon as the battery was turned on it raced away from the rider and he could not pedal fast enough to keep up with it!! Proper funny! In theory you could disconnect the power and put in a different back wheel (might need to check spindle/hub sizes?) making it no different to any other bike on a turbo trainer.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I took my wife to test ride the Gain F40 and D50 at a nearby cycle shop. She preferred and bought the F40 because she is not used to drop bars or road levers, preferred the hydraulic disc brakes and the additional iwok3 on the F40. I'm planning on changing the heavy tyres for something lighter and tubeless. She took it out for a 15 mile ride today and really enjoyed it. The only issue she had was with the app which she started recording before hand but doesn't seem to show any of power or assistance usage.

Thankfully the weight of the Gain is irrelevant when used on a trainer of course.
“Cheating” an emotive word often used on Zwift forums by lycra clad ‘bully boys’ who view anyone with suspicion who has the termerity to actually overtake them :rolleyes:Imo you are paying the same subs as everyone else so ‘play the game’ as you see fit and if you need assistance to climb alp d’huez then use your pedal-assistance. I would draw the line at pedal assistance when actually competing in Zwift official races of course. The ‘app’ is a lot better than it used to be so persevere and she should get the hang of it.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Gentlemen/Ladies can anyone help ?

Does anyone have a proven contact Tel No or email address for Orbea in the UK ?

I 'popped' a spoke on my Gain a week ago. I took it to my LBS who I know and trust. The Orbea dealer I purchased from is 80 odd miles from me.
Not being familiar with this bike my LBS wants to know the spoke tension for the wheel.
We cannot find this out. Orbea dealer in Lancaster cannot get a reply from Orbea. LBS cannot get a reply from the email they are trying.
This is ridiculous ! Orbea are selling in a World wide market, it has to be possible to find this information.
Any help appreciated.

Solom01

Hi Ckspark. About your app question, I love my Gain but the instructions on the app are pretty horrible. In my particular case I first turn on the Gain, then I turn on the eBikemotion app. After turning on the app. I go to settings, and tell the app to connect with the bike. I know that's supposed to be automatic, but without specifically asking it to connect it tends to be kind of iffy. After I manually connect it shows the POW, battery levels and so forth correctly. Of course you have to start a new activity for each ride and save it at the end. Hopefully that will help. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I just about lost what little mind I have left trying to figure out how to use the app. And for what it's worth it's not a language barrier, their instructions are equally bad in English AND Spanish. :smile:

Venod

Eh up
I 'popped' a spoke on my Gain a week ago. I took it to my LBS who I know and trust. The Orbea dealer I purchased from is 80 odd miles from me.
Not being familiar with this bike my LBS wants to know the spoke tension for the wheel.
We cannot find this out. Orbea dealer in Lancaster cannot get a reply from Orbea. LBS cannot get a reply from the email they are trying.
This is ridiculous ! Orbea are selling in a World wide market, it has to be possible to find this information.
Any help appreciated.

I may be missing something here, but to get you rolling again, can't the LBS measure the tension of other spokes in the wheel and tension the new one the same, or near to get the wheel true, they may be thinking the wrong tension led to the breakage.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I may be missing something here, but to get you rolling again, can't the LBS measure the tension of other spokes in the wheel and tension the new one the same, or near to get the wheel true, they may be thinking the wrong tension led to the breakage.

The simple answer to your question is 'I don't know' but I will ask. Maybe they are concerned they may all be wrongly tensioned ? I have never 'popped' a spoke on any other bike I have owned and that covers a lot of years and miles. However, I have another bike so I am not 'off the road' and frankly educated guesswork shouldn't be necessary, this info should be available.

arao99

I took delivery of an Orbea Gain D30 2019 a couple of days ago. This is the Shimano 105 build which has changed from the 2018 version.
I purchased the bike from Leisure Lakes (Lancaster branch) the only one in stock. I had full SKS mudguards fitted and Schwalbe G-One 38c tyres. The service and staff of Leisure Lakes was excellent.
As delivered the bike weighed 14.9 kg. (weighed on a Park Tool bike scale) I imagine the bigger tyres and mudguards may account for approx 0.9 kg ?

This is early days but here are my thoughts. To be relevant you need to know a little about me (sorry )
I am 72, 70kg, fit and healthy with no impediments to cycling (touching wood now View attachment 455465 )
I have cycled 4,000 + miles for the last 3 years the highest total being 5,300.
I have a 8kg road bike with 11/32 'Granny gearing' that I shall keep. I can still ride up decent hills on this bike, 15% maybe a little more
without too much trouble. This is the Garmin Connect data from a ride on this road bike earlier this week.

Road Bike
Distance: 25.41 mi / Time: 1:37:05 / Avg Speed: 15.7 mph / Elev Gain: 1,578 ft / Avg HR: 118 bpm / Max HR: 145 bpm.

This same route was repeated 3 days later on my Orbea Gain. Small differences in mileage maybe due to different tyre circumference 25c vs 38c ?

Orbea Gain 1st ride.
Distance: 25.54 mi / Time: 1:35:28: / Avg Speed: 16.1 mph / Elev Gain: 1,555 ft / Avg HR: 114 bpm / Max HR: 138 bpm

The Gain was only ridden in 'lowest assist/eco/green' I was testing the bike and myself.

I never set out to race road bike v Gain, I rode reasonably hard (on both bikes)but certainly not 'eyeballs out'
My max HR is between 155 & 160 bpm. So my average HR for both rides was approx 75%.

Things to note, I was 1m 37secs faster on the Gain, my average speed was 0.4 mph faster on the Gain.
My average HR was a little lower on the Gain.

1,600ft of climbing with two long ascents, one of 1.7mi with a top gradient of 14% and one of 3.5mi with a top gradient of 11%.

I have no doubt that on a flatter/flat(ish) course I would be faster on the road bike. It is not 'rocket science' the more climbing the bigger the advantage to the Orbea Gain.

The next day I rode only the Gain.

Orbea Gain 2nd ride.
Distance: 16.54 mi / Time: 1:02:27 / Avg Speed: 15.9 mph / Elev Gain: 942 ft / Avg HR: 115 bpm / Max HR: 133 bpm.

The battery was not charged after ride 1. Again I used exclusively the lowest (green) assist level.

The battery voltage dropped to below 50% at the 40 mile point. I am very satisfied with this, 40 mile and almost 2,600 ft of climbing. But my average speed on both rides was over the 15.5mph assist cut-out point.
I never used the top two assist levels.

The motor assist 'cut in' is almost imperceptible as is the human 'take over. Full marks to Orbea.

This is a great bike for me, it is exactly what I want. The freedom to ride further/higher in and around the Yorkshires dales and know that if I overreach myself I have 'help' under me. But also to do it on a great looking bike that allows me to ride above the 15.5 mph assist level a good part of the time.

There are many old/older fit riders that I think this bike will be exactly what they want. But if you are looking for a 'pedal assisted' bike to do a large proportion of the work be very sure before you part with your 'hard earned dosh' that the Orbea Gain is 'up to the job'

Sorry, this has turned into a 'weighty tome' , View attachment 455466 I do hope I may have helped someone with a difficult decision.

Roy
Good report Roy . How are the Schwalbe G-One 38c tyres, I have the Orbea Gain M30 and am thinking of fitting these tyres so I can ride canal path and light gravel.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Good report Roy . How are the Schwalbe G-One 38c tyres, I have the Orbea Gain M30 and am thinking of fitting these tyres so I can ride canal path and light gravel.

Hi Pal,
Well, I am more than happy with the tyres. The ones I have are the Schwalbe G-ONE Allround, 40-622 but as you have stated they are actually 38c.
The Gain M30 is a carbon frame, yes ? you sure the carbon frames will take a tyre that size ?
This is Schwalbe's summary of the tyre. https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-reader/schwalbe-g-one-allround.html
They also do a variant called G-ONE Speed. I have used these on a different bike and they are brilliant, but definitely road orientated
so you are better to stick with the G-ONE Allround. They will do just fine on the surfaces you mention.
A lot of riders avoid these 'fatter' tyres but the comfort gained on our broken roads is (imo) well worth a little extra weight and frankly who cares on a pedal-assisted bike ? These G-ONE's are tubeless compatible but I still use tubes.
Here is a Road.CC review I just stumbled across. https://road.cc/content/review/190493-schwalbe-g-one

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hi Ckspark. About your app question, I love my Gain but the instructions on the app are pretty horrible. In my particular case I first turn on the Gain, then I turn on the eBikemotion app. After turning on the app. I go to settings, and tell the app to connect with the bike. I know that's supposed to be automatic, but without specifically asking it to connect it tends to be kind of iffy. After I manually connect it shows the POW, battery levels and so forth correctly. Of course you have to start a new activity for each ride and save it at the end. Hopefully that will help. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I just about lost what little mind I have left trying to figure out how to use the app. And for what it's worth it's not a language barrier, their instructions are equally bad in English AND Spanish. :smile:
- that is pretty much the method I use. If I paired the bike with phone I had problems, so I connect manually each ride. The app is now much more stable than it was in the early days when you were lucky if you managed to complete a ride without it dropping out. The instructions are really unhelpful - not sure they have been revised at all to correspond with the updated app.

Ckspark

Regular
We are still having trouble with the app. We connected to the EBN and started recording the activity. My wife then put the phone in her rear jersey pocket. When we stopped after a couple of miles it had disconnected. We connected it again but it just kept happening. When we got home I noticed the activity had continued to record but only the first couple of miles of assistance and power had recorded.

On a separate note I replaced the stock tyres with Panaracer gravel king 35c setup as tubeless with sealant. It saved over 1 kilo off the overall weight.

Solom01

Well that may explain it. The app needs to have access to GPS to know your speed, locattion, etc. and the bluetooth connection isn't the best - if the phone is in a pocket it could very well interfere with bluetooth and it will definitely kill gps signals. I use mine on a handlebar mount which is where I think they expect it to be used. I may be wrong, but I know that even when I'm using wireless headsets at home having my phone in my left pocket will cause the sound to sometimes drop out.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Well that may explain it. The app needs to have access to GPS to know your speed, locattion, etc. and the bluetooth connection isn't the best - if the phone is in a pocket it could very well interfere with bluetooth and it will definitely kill gps signals.

Hmm ! I have used the app a few times with the phone in my rear jersey pocket with no problems. That shouldn’t be a problem for the BT connection.

Top Bottom