Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- spoilt for choice: FSA e-road bike - not the X35 system apparently, but looks incredibly like it. Probably a bit expensive as well ^_^.

Scaleyback

Veteran
If it's not a licensed deal with ebikemotion it sure looks pretty close to copyright infringement. Only thing different is 5 speeds.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/fsa-e-bike-system/

" We asked whether the FSA System uses technology licensed from brands such as Orbea who already have similar-looking motors in place. FSA was quick to respond telling us that its System is made entirely in-house using FSA designed, engineered and produced technologies. "

Hmm, let the lawsuits begin ?

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Nothing will come of it. The technology has existed for a long time. Its only the design which has similar look. Unless its using identical Orbea components without permission, this is assuming Orbea didn't copy someone else's design

Remember apple v Samsung for copying their design. It came to nothing in the end, you cant patent a curve edge.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Full charged my battery (via the app) just says 243w. That seems a different
report to yours Peter, am I looking in a different place in the app ?
Where are you looking? Just now I'm in 'settings', scrolled down to 'Help and Support', to 'Engineering' - battery capacity (at 57% charge remaining after this morning's ride) shows: '143.6wh/250.2wh'
(that would indicate 43% of charge used = 250.2wh-143.6wh = 106.6wh. Therefore 106.6/43x100 suggests a full charge capacity of 247.90697wh)
I'll check it again later when I've fully charged it.
edit - as I think the 43% is a rounded up figure.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
Where are you looking? Just now I'm in 'settings', scrolled down to 'Help and Support', to 'Engineering' - battery capacity (at 57% charge remaining after this morning's ride) shows: '143.6wh/250.2wh'
(that would indicate 43% of charge used = 250.2wh-143.6wh = 106.6wh. Therefore 106.6/43x100 suggests a full charge capacity of 247.90697wh)
I'll check it again later when I've fully charged it.
edit - as I think the 43% is a rounded up figure.

Ok, I wasn't looking in the 'Help & Support, Engineering' section, Doh ! now I know where to look. :wacko:

Bearing in mind Solom01's original question:-
" Hi folks. Quick question, can you guys confirm the battery capacity of the main battery in your Gains from the information given in the engineering mode section of the eBikemotion app?

So my battery is down to 84% after todays ride of 31m and the battery capacity in Engineering is now 205.2wh
So my suspect maths leads me to a fully charged battery as:-

205.2wh = 84%
So 1% = 205.2 divided by 84 = = 2.442857412
100% battery = 100 x 2.442857412 = 244.285wh

Peter, using my method above and your posted figures your fully charged battery is 251.93wh (rounded up) ?

Of course this is assuming the battery discharge is linear ?

I will check this when I next fully charge the battery.

Last edited:

Solom01

Hi folks. The capacity of a brand new Gain battery is supposed to be 242 wh. This will degrade over time as do all lithium batteries, and like all specs there will be some variance from the factory, but I interested in how quickly they degrade. Since I'm in the US with a 20 mile cut off instead of 15.5 I'm thinking this will wear the battery a bit quicker. I also live in a very hot and humid area and although I keep the bike inside, that type of weather is also hard on batteries. Since most of you are in the UK or EU I was wondering how your batteries were faring under less stringent conditions.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Just re-checked: 100% charge, 249.8wh/250.2wh.

Ok, I wasn't looking in the 'Help & Support, Engineering' section, Doh ! now I know where to look.
Peter, using my method above and your posted figures your fully charged battery is 251.93wh (rounded up) ?
Of course this is assuming the battery discharge is linear ?
I will check this when I next fully charge the battery.

I think the only accurate way of checking is to fully charge and then look at the app. I'm assuming my original battery capacity was 250.2wh and the 249.8wh indicates the capacity now and the loss of capacity since new over 1 year ago.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Hi folks. The capacity of a brand new Gain battery is supposed to be 242 wh. This will degrade over time as do all lithium batteries, and like all specs there will be some variance from the factory, but I interested in how quickly they degrade. Since I'm in the US with a 20 mile cut off instead of 15.5 I'm thinking this will wear the battery a bit quicker. I also live in a very hot and humid area and although I keep the bike inside, that type of weather is also hard on batteries. Since most of you are in the UK or EU I was wondering how your batteries were faring under less stringent conditions.
Where does the 242wh figure come from? What is the 2nd figure in your app? Certainly couldn't describe the UK as a 'hot and humid' country, and although we have our colder spells it is never really cold here. I've done around 140 - 150 rides on the Gain (can't be sure as the app was so unreliable in early days - although in fact it crashed just a mile or so before the end of today's ride which went unrecorded as a result) so the battery has been topped up numerous times since new.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Just re-checked: 100% charge, 249.8wh/250.2wh.

I think the only accurate way of checking is to fully charge and then look at the app. I'm assuming my original battery capacity was 250.2wh and the 249.8wh indicates the capacity now and the loss of capacity since new over 1 year ago.

Yes, your most likely correct, I will try and remember to check mine next time I fully charge it.
I guess if you have only lost 0.4wh of battery capacity in 140-150 rides and 2,000+ miles that is a decent result, yes ?

Zeek48

Solom01, I'm kinda of curious also. My bike is in AZ where it is stored in my house all summer as we are snowbirds and I ride in the winter months. Have been wondering what the hot dry temps are doing to the battery. House AC is set at 86F all summer but it is warm and dry.

Solom01

The 242 watt hours is what is claimed by Orbea, although there would always be factory variations. .4 loss over 2k would be incredibly good, heck lithium batteries have a shelf life just existing in perfect condition and not bring used. I've had 4 ebikes before and the other 3 used Samsung cells ( I believe Ebikemotion uses Panasonic cells) and I would consider a 5 year life before loosing 1/2 of their capacity to be good.

Solom01

Hi Zeek. I wouldn't worry about 86, that's not bad at all, and for longest life if you're not going to ride it all summer try to make sure it is left at about 50% or so charge (not at 100% and definitely not super low). In my case I've never ridden my bike when the temperature hasn't been at least 90 degrees with humidity in the 80s or above - that's our normal temperature in Summer in the Gulf coast of Florida. Don't know where you're from but we have tons of snowbirds here especially from Canada. A lot of them leave the AC in the 80s while they're up north and come back to mold coming out of the ducts and all over everything. Oh well, at least in the winter time it's be in the 70s and sunny - no snow or black ice, so there's that to look forward to. :smile: I normally don't get this hung up with battery life on my other bikes because when they die you simply bite the bullet and buy a new one, but without an Orbea dealer near me and a non user-replaceable battery I don't know what will happen when it dies. I guess I might just have to use it as a non ebike, which at least you can do with the Gains unlike a lot of other really heavy bikes.

Top Bottom