Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I find the bluetooth pairing for my bike is very unreliable. So much so that I can't use the heart rate system. Any ideas on whre best to have the phone to keep connected? It won't work in my backpack.

Storck

I find the bluetooth pairing for my bike is very unreliable. So much so that I can't use the heart rate system. Any ideas on whre best to have the phone to keep connected? It won't work in my backpack.

I think it really depends on the make of phone you have. My Samsung - no problem, my other a Nokia, similar issues to yours.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think it really depends on the make of phone you have. My Samsung - no problem, my other a Nokia, similar issues to yours.
I had problems with a Huawei, so much so I bought a Motorola which I only use on the Gain (with a handlebar mount), which worked well and has a long battery life. OTH, having said that, after a relatively long period of stability after the last update the app has failed on most of my recent rides. Also, it now takes minutes to load. I wish they would sort it out, especially as it is/has been promoted as a such positive feature of the EBM system.

G3CWI

Veteran
Today I decided to head for the hills. 30 miles 3300ft ascent, fair amount of off-road, gradients up to 20%. 10% charge left at the end. The pairing worked this time so I was able to use the heart-rate system. That works pretty well; I rather like it! The level of assist drops noticeably as the battery discharges below about 20%

I think that's a fair range for a tough ride like that. M21.

Solom01

Hi G3CWI, that sounds great. If you don't mind my asking, what heart rate attachment do you use? It sounds like something I'd like to try so knowing an attachment that works would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Zeek48

But its over so quickly!:banghead:
It reminds me of what I remember sex being like.

Southernguns

Today I decided to head for the hills. 30 miles 3300ft ascent, fair amount of off-road, gradients up to 20%. 10% charge left at the end. The pairing worked this time so I was able to use the heart-rate system. That works pretty well; I rather like it! The level of assist drops noticeably as the battery discharges below about 20%

I think that's a fair range for a tough ride like that. M21.

Well the bike is pretty easy to ride without the assistance so I wasn't unduly worried (and the last bit was largely downhill anyway).

Well I went out and did 29 miles up Cheddar Gorge and then pretty much all off road over the Mendips after that. 2800ft of climbing and I started with 86% battery and finished with 50%! I usually ride a mixture of road and off road but normally stick the D30 (about 15kg in weight) on the lowest power setting and just leave it there. This time, however, I decided to keep turning it on and off to see how many miles per % of battery power I could eek out of it. This sounds really stupid - but interestingly riding the D30 off road without the use of battery is a hell of a lot easier than I expected, in fact easier than when on road! This could be due to the lower speeds involved which enabled me to stay with my mate who, when on road, leaves me for dead so I am always pushing myself into the red to stay with him. Or whether I was just feeling particularly strong that day I don't know. I annoyingly forgot my HR monitor so I cannot really tell if I was putting in more effort, but it didn't feel harder than my other rides. Anyway, this leads me to think that in a few years time when the battery needs replacing, rather than replacing it I might just remove the battery and motor (lowering the weight), change the gearing to a 1x system and use the D30 as a non powered gravel bike. I'm sure technology will have moved on by then so there will be better electric bike out there to replace it with for similar sorts of money.

Last edited:

Solom01

Sounds good. I'm going to give it a try if the headwinds ever die down here since I've been using the lowest level just to make up for the wind. That's yet another good thing about the Gain, when the electric part dies it can still be used as a real bike unlike the heavier ebikes. As I learned in the past buying an ebike with a battery that just snaps on isn't much help if in a couple of years when the battery needs to be replaced it's no longer available from the manufacturer. Even companies like Bosch keep changing the shape of their battery packs so that old models no longer accept the new battery pack.

Top Bottom