Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did answer Ques 2 in my post #1,025

Incidentally when you ask a question and someone takes the time to answer you in whole or part it is good forum 'etiquette' to acknowledge that answer. maybe a thank you or a 'like' :rolleyes:
well, you tried so I guess I should thank you for trying!:smile:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I am considering fitting a lightweight rear carrier to carry a small(ish) removal bag on my Orbea Gain.
Something like this:-
i-NRDzBHg.jpg

Has anyone any experience of fitting a carrier rack and any recommendations ?

The seat stays have threaded eyelets (under rubber plug) presumably for a suitable carrier ?

i-M7QJqWB-S.jpg

Anyone used one of the seat post mounted racks i.e Topeak Beam Rack with matching MTX trunk bag ?

I guess some may question 'carrier on a road bike' but my Gain is fitted with 35mm gravel tyres and full guards so is not 'built for speed'
I want the added versatility that a rear rack and bag will give me.

Thanks.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Absolutely no problem with a rack on your Gain. It will be in the great British tradition of drop bar touring bikes such as the Dawes Galaxy

richtea

I have an old school Blackburn rack fitted to my Gain. Blackburns come (came?) in two fitting types - a centre fixing to attach where the muguard goes (like youngoldblokes above), and a stronger design with two extendable (and bendable to the right position) bits to attach to those eyelets.

The single attachment is plenty strong enough so either type will do. The main stress is downwards anyway, not sideways, but a double-fixing means a little less sway when heavily loaded.

Mine brought two loaves bread, milk, two lots of chipolatas and a couple of illicit chelsea buns home today. Yum. And that was just in one pannier.

A double fixing point one, as an example (but in the US, hey ho):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164931469379?hash=item2666ae8043:g:mE0AAOSw5r9g10BQ

We also have a Topeak Beam Rack, but on a Boardman HYB 8.9e. It's quite chunky, yet carries less (maybe half-ish by weight), because it has to take the strain through the beam. Not a bad solution, but not good enough for days of touring unless you pack really light. I would have struggled to get my shopping in the smaller panniers it takes.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Thanks richtea,

Coincidentally, I am expecting a Topeak Beam rack to arrive today:

i-CCBPGWC-M.jpg

Should this prove suitable I intend to get the matching MTX bag that 'slots' into the rack:

i-GJWMzPW-M.jpg

I saw they did a a version (rack and bag) that supports/has panniers but I don't need a touring option and the bag alone should be sufficient.
I have always found Topeak accessories to be top quality and worth paying a little extra.
You have no problem with the Beam rack 'moving around' when loaded up ?

Roy

richtea

You have no problem with the Beam rack 'moving around' when loaded up ?

None at all, they're good and solid if the panniers are attached tightly (ours is by velcro, with no movement at all).
Our panniers unzip and flip down, and then re-attach at the bottom of the supports (EDIT: ah - yours has no pannier support, but that's fine if you're going bag only)
It's a good pick - just be sure to check the max load. Yours (if it's the same one?) says 9Kg. Plenty for day trips, etc.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have got the full rack for the MTX trunk panniers. I also purchased the beam rack and cut off the mounting bracket. I used the guide rails on a fixing plate to the rack on my ebike.

I would use the beam rack only if you stay below the max weight limit, else get the touring rack and fit properly to bike.

I placed washers between the rack and bike frame to reduce rubbing.

Also I used locknuts on the other side where the bolt passed thru the frame where space allowed, nothing is coming loose 👍

Scaleyback

Veteran
" I would use the beam rack only if you stay below the max weight limit, else get the touring rack and fit properly to bike. "
Yes, max of 9Kg should be ample for daily cycle needs + lightweight waterproof jacket etc.

Lobular

Hello, my first post here.

I am contemplating buying an Orbea Gain for commuting. I have almost 30 km to the nearest metro (subway) station and after that a half an hour trainride and a few kilometers more to bike to work. The idea is to sweat less and be drier and warmer on the ride and in the metro during wintertime. And to be able to drive 25 kmh averages with winter clothing on. Has anybody any experience with their Gain in sub-freezing temperatures? Any issues with the motor, battery or electrics? I can reload at work so I can live with the diminished range in winter use.

BR from Finland

Nigaly

Hi all, just got myself a 2021 Orbea Gain D50 , it’s a shop soiled one so I could get it as cheap as possible! I was under the impression it came with a simple computer/interface to mount on the headset,but there wasn’t one with it , so I questioned that, and the online shop I got it from said it doesn’t, but other adverts I have seen seems to suggest it does. So before I get too much egg on my face arguing with them can anybody verify it does, thanks in advance.

richtea

Congratulations!

iWoc Trio controllers (see below) are standard on flat-bar Orbeas, but not on the dropbar road bikes.

There are two things you could consider that may help:

1. Connect to the bike with an app and Bluetooth to tune the power levels, amongst other things. This isn't of use during the ride, it just sets the max levels, etc.

2. Add an iWoc Trio handlebar controller if you want something slightly more 'standard' looking. You'll need to visit an Orbea dealer to fit the Trio, and an unreasonably large chunk of cash - about £85 + labour if I remember correctly.
iWoc Trio controllers are standard on flat-bar Orbeas, but not on the dropbar road bikes.
I suggest you just try with the single iWoc button first for a few weeks - it is very easy to use after a few rides.

The iWoc Trio looks like this (trio for 3 buttons: up, down, on-off):

cky-mountain-powerplay-commande-i-wok-1977011mot-2.jpg

Last edited:

Nigaly

Thanks for your reply , I actually thought there was like a simple computer display which could alter power levels on and show speed and distance,I am sure I have seen that somewhere, but can’t remember where and the info on the website did seem to suggest that, but may have just meant the mount on top of the light. I would have still have bought the bike without it I just thought that it would have been a bit of a bonus!
I have not seen seen the handlebar controller that looks interesting but probably not worth the expense and hassle for me. I think I will be happy with just the button , I have been using an oldish (quite heavy)hybrid with a Swytch kit on and the button looks less fiddly than that , and most of the time I just leave it in level one as live in Norfolk so no big hills.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks for your reply , I actually thought there was like a simple computer display which could alter power levels on and show speed and distance,I am sure I have seen that somewhere, but can’t remember where and the info on the website did seem to suggest that, but may have just meant the mount on top of the light. I would have still have bought the bike without it I just thought that it would have been a bit of a bonus!
I have not seen seen the handlebar controller that looks interesting but probably not worth the expense and hassle for me. I think I will be happy with just the button , I have been using an oldish (quite heavy)hybrid with a Swytch kit on and the button looks less fiddly than that , and most of the time I just leave it in level one as live in Norfolk so no big hills.
There is the PULSARONE FOR MAHLE X35+ SYSTEM computer, but the reports I've seen are not very positive with users reporting unpredictable behaviour when changing assistance levels - which rather defeats the purpose. I have no personal experience of it, I've become used to using the Iwoc button and the phone app. However I understand that you can link successfully with Garmin and similar computers and use them to control power levels and view ride information.
edit: the app is very power hungry, so I use a powerbank mounted on the bars beneath the phone, which is mounted above the stem.

Last edited:

richtea

Well spotted, youndoldbloke! Just beware that the Pulsarone needs the latest Mahle system, i.e. the 'X35+'.
Some (most?) 2021 bikes will have the older plain X35 system without the '+'.

Last edited:

meckers

Regular
There is the PULSARONE FOR MAHLE X35+ SYSTEM computer, but the reports I've seen are not very positive with users reporting unpredictable behaviour when changing assistance levels - which rather defeats the purpose. I have no personal experience of it, I've become used to using the Iwoc button and the phone app. However I understand that you can link successfully with Garmin and similar computers and use them to control power levels and view ride information.
edit: the app is very power hungry, so I use a powerbank mounted on the bars beneath the phone, which is mounted above the stem.
Warning about mounting Garmin Etc on front light cradle on Orbea Gain. The cradle is not strong enough to take the weight of a Garmin or other GPS. I’ve had my orbea gain just 3 months and destroyed the from light cradle and lost my Garmin 1030. It just fell apart on a shaky decent at speed. I figure the little Polestar unit is about as heavy a unit that can be put on this light cradle. See YouTube Lake District cyclist guy just posted a video of his Garmin doing exactly the same. Then a second video of him buying a replacement front light cradle and fitting it himself. The cheap plastic can not hold the cantilever weight of a heavy GPS unit. See my destroyed light cradle below.. on the plus side it’s only £45 to replace off the Orbea web site. So not the end of the world. Going to attach Garmin to the stem.

Attachments

• 14B9E304-8882-451C-A3DF-FA7622159FD1.jpeg
    14B9E304-8882-451C-A3DF-FA7622159FD1.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom