Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Anyone had a ride on one of these yet? I'm seriously considering an ebike due to medical issues and the possibilty of major surgery. Coming from a club riding, road cycling, road bike background I find most ebikes hideous looking and horrendously heavy. The Gain appears to be relatively light and good looking - and starting at around £1800, good priced too. (I find the Giant and Raleigh road ebikes ugly BTW). No one appears to have them in stock though. I'm prepared to travel to see and test ride one but meanwhile has anyone any experience of them?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Electric hybrid and mountain bikes are now a bit more mainstream, but electric roadie bikes are relatively new.

I doubt you will find anyone with one in stock, but Orbea do employ a rep or two who can provide demo bikes via a dealer.

My suggestion is go to your nearest Orbea dealer and inquire about getting a go on a Gain.

Sharky

Guru
Somebody on here posted a gtech with dropped bars. Looked really nice. Tried searching for it, but havent found it yet. Others might remember it.

lyn1

Über Member
Anyone had a ride on one of these yet? I'm seriously considering an ebike due to medical issues and the possibilty of major surgery. Coming from a club riding, road cycling, road bike background I find most ebikes hideous looking and horrendously heavy. The Gain appears to be relatively light and good looking - and starting at around £1800, good priced too. (I find the Giant and Raleigh road ebikes ugly BTW). No one appears to have them in stock though. I'm prepared to travel to see and test ride one but meanwhile has anyone any experience of them?

I checked with a dealer who said the schedule for availability was May, with a slight chance of it coming forward by a month or so.

midlife

Guru
Somebody on here posted a gtech with dropped bars. Looked really nice. Tried searching for it, but havent found it yet. Others might remember it.

I remember that, it was a white one iirc

Here?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/my-mod-o-fied-single-speed-e-bike.204054/

img_20160715_181139-jpg.jpg

NickWi

Guru
Goingback to the OP question, I'm also seriously considering one of these (as in an Orbea Gain D30). All the reviews I've read are basically the manufacturers brochure rehashed, as in no one seemes to have actually thrown a leg over the saddle and ridden on.

So anyone her actually riden one, even if it was just a round the block test ride?

NickWi

Guru
Goingback to the OP question, I'm also seriously considering one of these (as in an Orbea Gain D30). All the reviews I've read are basically the manufacturers brochure rehashed, as in no one seemes to have actually thrown a leg over the saddle and ridden on.

So anyone her actually riden one, even if it was just a round the block test ride?

Well, I've gone and bought one. D20 with 1x11 Sram Groupset and Gravel Tyres. I know I said I was thinking about a D20 but Tredz had a 10% off over the Easter weekend, 0% Finance and it was in stock. Bright Orange and Large. Ordered it Sunday, they were working B.Hol Monday, desparcthed Tuessday, arrived today Wednesday. All I'll say on that is, bloody good service Tredz!

Only one problem, it's pissing down outside!!!!!!!!!

sight-pin

Veteran
Well, I've gone and bought one. D20 with 1x11 Sram Groupset and Gravel Tyres. I know I said I was thinking about a D20 but Tredz had a 10% off over the Easter weekend, 0% Finance and it was in stock. Bright Orange and Large. Ordered it Sunday, they were working B.Hol Monday, desparcthed Tuessday, arrived today Wednesday. All I'll say on that is, bloody good service Tredz!

Nice one:okay:. Enjoy. Don't forget the performance report with some pics.;)

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

I was tempted by the Easter discount - looking forward to your report :okay: How does the sizing compare with what you're used too?

NickWi

Guru
Right, first ride out today on the new Gain, not far only 21miles and I only averaged 11mph but enough to get the feel of things. And my initial impression, bloody brilliant! It's a bit like riding with a tail wind gently pushing you along all the time.

It wasn't a particularly hill route today and I deliberately left the power set in Eco or minimal assistance. The result was I felt like I was wafting along with a breeze behind me. You've still got to use the gears for the hills and pedalling at over 15mph I didn't feel any drag from the (now off) motor. After 21 gentle miles I’d used 30% of the power so a 60mile range ought to be viable, but a hillier route would undoubtedly bite into that range.

Overall the fit was very good, my previous everyday bike has a 59cm frame and putting the two side by side everything looked pretty close and the controls fell easily to hand. Everything else seems well made & finished and the bike was silent, no noise from the motor at all. My bike is fitted with a Sram 1x11 groupset and everything work just as it should. The brakes however are exceptional. I'm no lightweight and they hauled the combined mass of me and the bike down with consummate easy.

Downside, weight, you ain't no light weight, but it's no heavier than my 531st framed tourer and riding at 15+ mph (i.e. with the motor off) I couldn't feel any extra drag from the motor. I’ll be changing the 40mm gravel tyres to something narrower and more road oriented for the summer, but I knew that was something I probably be having to do anyway. The OEM saddle, ouch, not my shape and I swapped it for a leather saddle that I know I can ride miles on. Saddles however are a personal thing and it might suit you just fine. The rest of the kit, does what it says on the tin.

Electric bike related issues. The Green, Amber and Red light indicating the assistance level on the top tube could be brighter. Today was a bright day and you needed a proper look down rather than a glance to check the setting level, but the actual use of it is dead easy. Playing about with the power levels, dropping down from high to medium or medium to low induces a small amount engine braking for second or two but it isn't a problem. And that's it, no problems, no dramas, just got on and rode it with a big grin on my face.

Bottom line, when I got home Mrs W asked me how I got on what did I think? My answer "You've just got to get one if these, bloody brilliant."

I'll post updates and if you've got any questions I'll do my best to answer as I learn more.

NickWi

Guru
Tyres, yes I was aware of that and I had a pair of 700 x 32 Marathon Plus in the shed waiting to go on the Tandem which have gone on the Gain instead ready for a 50mile ride tomorrow. Hopefully the better rolling resistance of these over the OEM gravel tyres will help things roll along better, but those Marathon Plus's are a pig to fit. I just hope their puncture resistance is as good as Schwalbe claim.

Changing the subject, did you know the Gain is Bluetooth enabled!

There is an app available that connects your phone to your bike. On the surface it's your atypical bike computer app that give you the usual info, plus you can upload to Strava and use it as a sat nav, but a bit extra info about how much batter power is being used, is left, range etc. Digging deeper you can change the power settings, add a heart rate monitor, set alerts etc, and potentially very interesting, it can use your heart rate to automatically vary the assistance power level to help you keep in your desired exercise zone. Just who's in charge here!

NickWi

Guru
Yes I know - I'm the one asking about the Gain in the other thread remember - and I'm still seriously looking at them. Can you compare it with the likes of a mid engined bike?

I've never ridden a mid engine jobby so I can't offer a compare them, but having done over a hundred miles on the Gain in the last week or so all I can offer you is my experience of that.

Firstly, what Orbea say about enough, but only enough is true. The power from the motor and the size of the battery are designed to assist rather than power you along. Both the power rating of the motor and capacity of the battery are a lot less than the mid engine bikes. You still need the gears for the hills and you (well I do) still huff & puff up the hills. I can't deny putting into full power makes it easier and I rode up one of Shropshires short but steep buggers the other day with ease, but the motor won't do it all for you. On the flat is different. You can set the power to high, just turn the pedals lightly and the motor will do it for you, but don't expect any great range from the battery if you do that, it's not what it's designed for. In practice what I've been doing is riding with the motor on its minimal setting for the flats (or even switching it off) and only using the assist for the hills, and only full power assist on the steepest hills. Eco power and the gears are more than enough for gentle hills provided you're not trying to KOM points.

One other comment I think I ought to make, brakes. Because of the extra weight of E-Bikes and the fact that race styled e-bikes like the Gain have a different set of design parameters to urban bikes, they drop like a stone going downhill. The first long downhill I went down really surprised me with how much speed I picked up. Add in the rotational mass of the rear hub motor (and in my case too much extra padding) and you've got a fair bit of mass to stop. The Sram hydraulic brakes on my D20 are excellent, but whichever model you chose, don't skimp on the brakes.

If you've got any specific question I'll be glad to answer as best I can.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Thanks for that. Really helpful to hear your real-life experiences of the bike :thumbsup:.

Top Bottom