Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big-Andy

It arrived today. I am very impressed with the build quality and can't believe its so light for an e-bike. The tyre questions I asked earlier were related to what I should put on instead of the Kenda's I believed were factory fitted but the LS has not put the Conti's I asked for on but left the factory ones on which are actually 700x28 Hutchison Fusion5 All season tubeless.
https://www.evanscycles.com/hutchin...0c-road-tyre-tubeless-ready-hardskin-EV334731
Has anyone had any experience with these or has anyone had them on from new? They are the newer 11 Storm ones and seem to get good reviews but I am a bit nervous about the tubeless aspect. Can anyone put my mind at rest over these?

Storck

It arrived today. I am very impressed with the build quality and can't believe its so light for an e-bike. The tyre questions I asked earlier were related to what I should put on instead of the Kenda's I believed were factory fitted but the LS has not put the Conti's I asked for on but left the factory ones on which are actually 700x28 Hutchison Fusion5 All season tubeless.
https://www.evanscycles.com/hutchin...0c-road-tyre-tubeless-ready-hardskin-EV334731
Has anyone had any experience with these or has anyone had them on from new? They are the newer 11 Storm ones and seem to get good reviews but I am a bit nervous about the tubeless aspect. Can anyone put my mind at rest over these?

I'm riding the 25mm version from new. Feel very much like Continental 4000gps. Started off inflating them up to 100psi. My Gain is carbon and weighs 25lbs. I felt at 100psi it was just a little to high for the bike. Dropped down to 90 rear 85 front. Bike now feels like my Trek Domane. After 500 miles, no wear on front,
rear is now nicely roughed. I was going to change them for Conti's - not going to bother now.

Southernguns

Enjoy Big-Andy. The weather forecast looks good at the weekend for a ride.

Southernguns

I have tickets to that but because I cannot sit for too long I am not able to make it. Enjoy the game - should be a corker.

Storck

I too will be watching rugby?Challenge Cup, St. Helens v Wakefield. Being a Hull FC. supporter, the outcome isn't all that important to me.

Southernguns

I love rugby league - but you never get to see much of it down here unfortunately.

Storck

That's a pity. It's really growing in Canada now. A few teams in the US. also. It was great to see Rovers knocked out the cup. Oh how I dislike that lot over the river in East Hull.

Scaleyback

Veteran

Hi Andy,
Ref the '700x28 Hutchison Fusion5 All season tubeless' These came as standard on my D30, I changed them for the Schwalbe G-ONE Allround, 40-622, Black, Folding which are the supplied tyre on the D31. This is the gravel bike version of the D30. (apologies if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs !)
Now I'm sure the 700x28 Hutchison Fusion5 are good tyres but I suggest you have a go at removing/replacing one before you decide to run with them too far.
I have changed many tyres and tubes in my 'cycling life' but I have never struggled like I did getting these off. Finally I cut them off in desperation. Now I may have been having a 'bad day' (I have some arthritis in my thumb joints so my grip is not what it was) or maybe I got a particularly 'tight'pair (does this happen) but my worst nightmare would be getting a puncture and having to remove one of these at the side of the road.
Do yourself a favour pal and try it at home first. Let me know how you get on, I am willing to come out of this looking like a 'wuss' :laugh:

Storck

Hi Andy,
Ref the '700x28 Hutchison Fusion5 All season tubeless' These came as standard on my D30, I changed them for the Schwalbe G-ONE Allround, 40-622, Black, Folding which are the supplied tyre on the D31. This is the gravel bike version of the D30. (apologies if I'm teaching Grandma to suck eggs !)
Now I'm sure the 700x28 Hutchison Fusion5 are good tyres but I suggest you have a go at removing/replacing one before you decide to run with them too far.
I have changed many tyres and tubes in my 'cycling life' but I have never struggled like I did getting these off. Finally I cut them off in desperation. Now I may have been having a 'bad day' (I have some arthritis in my thumb joints so my grip is not what it was) or maybe I got a particularly 'tight'pair (does this happen) but my worst nightmare would be getting a puncture and having to remove one of these at the side of the road.
Do yourself a favour pal and try it at home first. Let me know how you get on, I am willing to come out of this looking like a 'wuss' :laugh:

Scaley, after ride today, thought to myself? Take the front wheel off and tyre, see what Scaley is on about? Have bike booked in on Monday for service, also going to get them to put Conti 5000's on. See what you mean. I wouldn't want to be changing an inner tube on a cold day or when I was tired with those Fusion tyres. I've been impressed with the grip, comfort and after 500 miles wear. But boy, getting them off!!!! Thanks for the heads up Scaley.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Scaley, after ride today, thought to myself? Take the front wheel off and tyre, see what Scaley is on about? Have bike booked in on Monday for service, also going to get them to put Conti 5000's on. See what you mean. I wouldn't want to be changing an inner tube on a cold day or when I was tired with those Fusion tyres. I've been impressed with the grip, comfort and after 500 miles wear. But boy, getting them off!!!! Thanks for the heads up Scaley.

I was quite prepared to accept it was just me :rolleyes: but it seems not.

Big-Andy

I was quite prepared to accept it was just me :rolleyes: but it seems not.
OK, I now see what you mean. How the hell are we supposed to get them off without cutting them? Any advice very, very gratefully received. It looks like they are glued all the way round or is it just the beads are so damn tight? I don't even know if they have tubes in them as they say tubeless ready but there seems to be a lot of confusion over what's actually inside them.

Big-Andy

OK, I now see what you mean. How the hell are we supposed to get them off without cutting them? Any advice very, very gratefully received. It looks like they are glued all the way round or is it just the beads are so damn tight? I don't even know if they have tubes in them as they say tubeless ready but there seems to be a lot of confusion over what's actually inside them.
The review here is of the exact tyre I have and they claim its "so easy to remove" ... https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/4899/hutchinson-fusion-5-performance-11storm-tubeless-tyres-review

Top Bottom