Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I cannot help you Andy, as I said once I realised how difficult they were to remove I had no intention of using them so I cut them off. I hear Welsh girls
are big and strong do you know any ? :laugh:

magesh

Hello All:

New to this group & thought I would share my exp' on the Orbea Gain D21. I got it on May 3rd with a 40mm tubeless setup.

<edited for content>

Update, not in a good way: I had to return the bike (D21) back, several weeks ago, due to a bad front wheel & Orbea was not responsive in getting it resolved. The front tire was leaking stans near the weld & Orbea was unwilling to ship an upgraded wheel, even if I was willing to pay more. My LBS did not hear from them, for over 2+ weeks & I gave up, after the bike was in the shop for over 2+ weeks waiting for a new wheel to show up. Paying close to $3800/- and finding a shoddy wheel is not good imho.

At this moment, I'm not liking Orbea & not planning to buy another Orbea.

Hope you all have better luck than me.

Storck

Ditched the Hutchison Fusion 5 tyres, like I said I was going to. Let the bike shop take the off. The mechanic confirmed the struggle he had to get removed, although he did manage too without resorting to destroying them. Replaced them with Continental 5000's, what a difference it has made to the ride comfort, killing much more road buzz on bad surfaces. BTW, Gains are flying off the shelf, everytime I'm in the shop one is up on the stand been prepared. One passed me by yesterday in the village on a car rack. With the new tyres and Dura Ace cassette I've had fitted, my Gain now comes in at exactly 25lbs.

Big-Andy

- but it also states others had problems. Depends on the rim.
Surprisingly my D30 came with the BlackJack Ready GR rims on it instead of the Airline Corsa ones. It was sold as a 2018 model but seems to actually be a 2019 D40. Are these the rims people are struggling to get the Hutchinson tyres off?

Storck

Surprisingly my D30 came with the BlackJack Ready GR rims on it instead of the Airline Corsa ones. It was sold as a 2018 model but seems to actually be a 2019 D40. Are these the rims people are struggling to get the Hutchinson tyres off?

Not in my case no. I have Cosmic Carbon wheels on mine. Mechanic at bike shop said, "He had a real struggle" getting them off. Would have been help of a job, by the side of the road. Got the Fusions on eBay now. With a warning on some rims, "These are tight"

Big-Andy

Kind people, I have managed to sort this out, but had to destroy the front Fusion to do it then learned my lesson.
To summarise a very long and at times painful morning......
The reason these are a pain to remove is due to the beads "locking" into place at the outer edge of the rim. This is what's supposed to happen but due to the highlighted varying rim sizes it looks like they actually get wedged under the rims clincher edge and the inner/outer, largest (greatest diameter) , part of the rim too. This means that moving the deflated tyre back to the rims middle or shallowest part is virtually impossible by hand. Having cut one tyre off it was clear to see what was happening. I then used some large plumbers pliers with tape on the jaws to lever both of the beads away from the outer edge and once they "popped" from under the outer edge and rim back into the middle of the rim it was easy to get them on and off again. Also, to my surprise the Fusion 5 All Weathers came with KENDA tubes in them from new, they weren't Tubeless. I now have my Conti Contact Plus City tyres on with some decent Shwalbe SV17 tubes and feel way more confident I can fix things at the roadside with a spare tube and a couple of spare CO2 16OZ canisters. Thanks for helping a newbie out here, you are all a credit to the helpful nature of the forum.
I did just pop out for a quick "round the block" test to see if the tyres made a difference and I can't say I noticed too much difference but being 35c instead of 25c I would be happy to say the roads felt a bit smoother but overall I feel a lot more confident about the setup.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Kind people, I have managed to sort this out, but had to destroy the front Fusion to do it then learned my lesson.
To summarise a very long and at times painful morning......
The reason these are a pain to remove is due to the beads "locking" into place at the outer edge of the rim. This is what's supposed to happen but due to the highlighted varying rim sizes it looks like they actually get wedged under the rims clincher edge and the inner/outer, largest (greatest diameter) , part of the rim too. This means that moving the deflated tyre back to the rims middle or shallowest part is virtually impossible by hand. Having cut one tyre off it was clear to see what was happening. I then used some large plumbers pliers with tape on the jaws to lever both of the beads away from the outer edge and once they "popped" from under the outer edge and rim back into the middle of the rim it was easy to get them on and off again. Also, to my surprise the Fusion 5 All Weathers came with KENDA tubes in them from new, they weren't Tubeless. I now have my Conti Contact Plus City tyres on with some decent Shwalbe SV17 tubes and feel way more confident I can fix things at the roadside with a spare tube and a couple of spare CO2 16OZ canisters. Thanks for helping a newbie out here, you are all a credit to the helpful nature of the forum.
I did just pop out for a quick "round the block" test to see if the tyres made a difference and I can't say I noticed too much difference but being 35c instead of 25c I would be happy to say the roads felt a bit smoother but overall I feel a lot more confident about the setup.
Good that you feel more confident - but I'd be surprised if you found any difference in performance, as opposed to comfort, especially as you've fitted much heavier tyres. The Contis + Schwalbe tubes are well over over twice the weight of the original Hutchinsons, according to website info. BTW the wheels and OEM tyres on your D30 are definitely not the 2018 spec, which was Airline Corsa with 28mm Kenda Krampfish (!) (450gm) + Kenda tubes (110gm), with a QR front spindle. (The 28mm Conti GP4000lls' I fitted are 250gm each, your 37mm Conti Plus City are 850gm).
I suppose it would have been easy enough for Orbea to change the wheels to the newer spec. Are there any other differences in the spec you've noticed?

Big-Andy

Good that you feel more confident - but I'd be surprised if you found any difference in performance, as opposed to comfort, especially as you've fitted much heavier tyres. The Contis + Schwalbe tubes are well over over twice the weight of the original Hutchinsons, according to website info. BTW the wheels and OEM tyres on your D30 are definitely not the 2018 spec, which was Airline Corsa with 28mm Kenda Krampfish (!) (450gm) + Kenda tubes (110gm), with a QR front spindle. (The 28mm Conti GP4000lls' I fitted are 250gm each, your 37mm Conti Plus City are 850gm).
I suppose it would have been easy enough for Orbea to change the wheels to the newer spec. Are there any other differences in the spec you've noticed?
I am not too bothered about weight at the minute as I am over 19st myself at present so whilst I understand the gains of rolling weight and unsprung mass its not really a concern at this point. The Fusions did have some quite chunky Kenda tubes too so the difference would be slightly less than you have said, but as stated its not a concern at present. I think that when cycling has got me to a point where I feel I can't lose any more weight myself I will re-think my tyre choice but for now its lower on my list....I am more concerned with not having to fix punctures and deflations at present or at least keep them to a minimum. I think we can all agree that the less things there are to deter me from actually wanting to cycle the better my chances are of it becoming a serious hobby.
As for any other changes in spec... nothing I can see at present, its got the Tiagra 10 speed set with the Shimano 405 brakes and all the rest seems to match.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Fair enough - I doubt you'll be reporting any unplanned deflation solution opportunities in the future. Enjoy the ride!
(I understand that your Ready GR rims are lighter than Airline Corsa anyway.)

Scaleyback

Veteran
Also, to my surprise the Fusion 5 All Weathers came with KENDA tubes in them from new, they weren't Tubeless.

Glad you got it sorted Andy, I think you have your priorities correct when it comes to where to lose the weight from ^_^
I think all retailers sell 'Tubeless ready' tyres with tubes in unless you ask them to convert, and they may well charge for that ?
As for the current trend towards 'tubeless tyres' ? well they may have a little less rolling resistance and they may be less inclined to suffer
'pinch punctures' (really only a real concern for 'off-road' riding I would have thought) Having tried them I really couldn't tell any difference and
I couldn't be doing with the 'faffing around' I use 'Stan's sealant' directly in my schwalbe tubes so I'm about as puncture proof as I can get without
riding on Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard Rigid Road tyres ! and at almost 1Kg each for the tyre size I ride I'm not going there. :rolleyes:

Storck

So, you can put sealant in tubes? Didn't know that, just goes to show? Riding since 1966, and you can still find something that escaped ya.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Thanks, for that Scaley. Gonna look into that. I mentioned earlier fitting Conti 5000's, first time I've ever ridden 28mms tyres, inflated to 85psi. What a ride - Oooo my Chalfonts, wonderful. Wish I had done it years ago.
Have you tried latex tubes? They'll give you an even nicer ride, though you need to top the pressure up almost daily.

Top Bottom