Organ meats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
xx(

AndyRM

XOXO
17-05%2F549eacea-2045-4a2d-9a41-a67f23098b4a%2FTOD.png

I love liver. Tender lamb's liver, quickly grilled or fried, right through to pigs or ox liver which is 'strong' and I consider is all the better for being soaked overnight (at least) in either milk or yoghurt, before long slow cooking with lots of onions and other tasty things. I also like chicken and turkey liver, quickly fried.
I prefer to buy liver from a reputable local butcher who knows the provenance of the beasts.
I don't like tongue or kidney - it's the texture of both of them which I find off-putting.
Brains are OK-ish when cooked nicely, not much flavour really and a rather odd texture. Elder has a similar sort of 'pappy' texture, but firmer as it is usually pressed, and also has IMO very little flavour. Sliced very thinly, it's OK. I've not seen it for many years though, and don't know if its still obtainable or if it all goes to the petfood producers.
Heart can be very nice when cooked well - it's a very well-used muscle, so apt to be tough unless cooked by someone who knows what they are doing.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Liver. Lovely with bacon and onion gravy. Pan fried of course. Mustard mash too. Lambs liver for strength of flavour calves liver for pate like smoothness.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tripe,despite never having had it, makes me shudder for some reason.

But offal in general,:hungry:

Never seen it since but once had a chicken liver curry....wow.
Steak and kidney, great, liver...even better.
Heart, mum is used to do it and iloved it, but I can't (and neither can she) remember pigs or lambs heart...or how it was cooked.

Is liver still really cheap?
Always used to be.
Was never sure why as I think it's supposed to be pretty good for you.
The appearance/associations I suppose?
which is maybe why I haven't had any in years - used to have it a fair bit as a student.

Can someone remind me of the heirarchy of good liver?
seem to remember that lambs was seen as better than many?

Top Bottom