Ortlieb pannier query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got a set of Classic Backrollers and am doing a trial pack which includes sleeping bag, clothes etc for multi day trips in the UK. I will be planning for wet weather.

Is it the norm to dispense with waterproof rucksack liners to pack ones gear in with Ortliebs please? I'm moving on from a pair of ancient and leaky panniers...............

Thanks

Graham

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the ortlieber on tour with me this year still used inner bags, but I suspect that was more to keep clean and worn clothes and tools and toiletries apart.

Archeress

Veteran
One day after a muddy day I had taken my ortlieb off the bike and was hosing the bike off with a gentle spray and noticing the ortlieb was mucky too, turned the hose on the bag without taking the contents out. It might have been a gentle spray but it wasn't a misty spray so the volume of water must have been like a cloudburst. Not a drop got inside. Just make sure you roll the top down as recommended 2 or 3 times.

Hugs
Archeress x

OP
OP
graham bowers
OK, I'm getting the picture ;-))
I have completed my trial pack and did use bags of various types for separation purposes but will not have to consider how waterproof they are.

hoopdriver

Guru
Yes they are highly waterproof and will indeed float. The down side to this impenetrability is that any wet clothing/gear you pack inside can get rather whiffy especially if you are travelling in warm conditions. And the inside of the panniers themselves can also get a bit mouldy smelling. They do not breathe at all.

robing

Über Member
I use my front Ortlieb city rollers for my camping gear when touring. Always bone dry. Wish the same could be said for the Altura Dryline panniers that I use on the back. I need rubble bags to line them.

Top Bottom