Ortlieb pannier query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The answer is Miltons. If your panniers begin to get a bit whiffy, then a quick wipe round with Miltons will sort it.

Can also be used to make visibly clear water safe for drinking.
I'm just back from a very wet tour, wiped my musty Ortliebs with a solution of warm water and bicarbonate of soda, let them air dry upside down, on broom poles, they smell nice and fresh now.
Yes, OP, they really are waterproof.
Separate contents in bags though, for easy access, as the Ortliebs are cavernous.

Separate contents in bags though, for easy access, as the Ortliebs are cavernous.

Not cavernous for me. Which ones?

There is a new bigger rear set I gather though.

+1 for Ortliebs - I have some bikepacker pluses from close on 20 years ago and they still look like new.
And of course you can get spare bits.
Only issue I have with mine is the inserts popping out now and again - I think they may have sorted this since.

shirokazan

Veteran
Okay, so maybe it was pushed.
:laugh: Gregory, you've brought to mind a vision of you having a John Cleese-like meltdown, resulting in said bike in the canal.

Anyhow, back on topic: concur with all that's said about Ortliebs. My Roller Plus panniers have been 100%, surviving many a rainy day in the saddle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
:laugh: Gregory, you've brought to mind a vision of you having a John Cleese-like meltdown, resulting in said bike in the canal.

Anyhow, back on topic: concur with all that's said about Ortliebs. My Roller Plus panniers have been 100%, surviving many a rainy day in the saddle.
I didn't thrash it with a branch, at that stage at any rate. ;)

Bodhbh

Guru
Not cavernous for me. Which ones?

There is a new bigger rear set I gather though.

Backroller Pros, 70l plus outside mesh pockets. I got a pair, not really for touring, but lugging junk back and forth between abodes. I am pretty happy with them. If you don't use all the capacity, they have compression straps you can reduce them down to at least as small as regular backrollers and they're only 2-300g heavier.

Top Bottom