Our grand daughter had her drink spiked.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Has she been to a hossy or doctor? I personally dealt with a number of claimed drink spiking incidents and not one victim turned out to have anything more sinister in their system than alcohol, despite them all swearing blind that was the case. Colleagues had the odd one that turned out to be the real deal, but not one of the couple of dozen I personally investigated turned out to be so.

It turns out that a water infection in females, when mixed with even a little alcohol, can make them feel ill very quickly, and this was the case for a few of my victims. You learn something new every day.

Thats not to pre judge your grand daughter's situation, but if she genuinely feels her drink was spiked she should seek medical advice, and do so quickly. Not only would that confirm the matter either way, but if her drink was spiked some of the drugs the sheetbags use can be quite nasty (some of them are intended for sterilising or tranquilizing horses) so it'd be wise to get checked over.

Fingers crossed she's all good.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was reading yesterday a post from someone who thinks a waitress saved her
She was on a first date and they were having dinner - she was drinking water
She went to the toilet and came back - to her surprise the waitress came over and replaced her glass even though it was only half drunk

Some time later the bloke went to the toilet and the waitress came over - she thought she had seen him 'fiddling' with her glass so she took it upon herself to replace it
The date ended soon after - apparently the bloke was really 'off' about it
The waitress took her phone number anrang her back the next day. SHe had got the manager to check the CCTV - not enough to be certain but the 'fiddling' with the glass was clear.

Scary that this sort of thing can happen

I read something about cpas that can be put on glassesif you need to leave one unattended. Really just to guard from a walkby dropping of something rather than by someone who you are with - but better than nothing
Disgusting man but kudos to the waitress - eyes open, act quick.

Has she been to a hossy or doctor? I dealt with a number of claimed drink spiking incidents and not one victim turned out to have anything more sinister in their system than alcohol.

Thats not to pre judge your grand daughter's situation, but if she genuinely feels her drink was spiked she should seek medical advice, and do so quickly. Not only would that confirm the matter either way, but if her drink was spiked some of the drugs the sheetbags use can be quite nasty (some of them are intended for sterilising horses) so it'd be wise to get checked over.

Fingers crossed she's all good.
I heard two different stories on reputable news based programmes
On one a senior Police officer was saying that he had spent many years working on real and potential sex crimes
In all the years he was looking at these crimes he had never found a case of drink spiking with any clear evidence - in most cases he was left feeling "which of the 11 double vodkas you had did yu think was spiked?"

The other - on a different programme - was from a woman who had been found half collapsed in a car park outside a bar by a stranger. He took her to a hospital who found drugs in her system. CCTV from the bar showed her having only a single and showing no sign of being drunk until after she left her drink for a few minutes.

Anyone know any evidence of what drugs, if any, people are being drugged with??

sympathies to anyone with kids who have just gone off to University or something - must be worrying

Drago

Legendary Member
On one a senior Police officer was saying that he had spent many years working on real and potential sex crimes
In all the years he was looking at these crimes he had never found a case of drink spiking with any clear evidence - in most cases he was left feeling "which of the 11 double vodkas you had did yu think was spiked?"
Inwouldn't have put it quite as bluntly as that, but in most cases thats how it went down.

As aforementioned, colleagues had the odd genuine case, but never me. I always treated it as the real deal until proven otherwise - ive 4 daughters and I'd wring the neck of anyone that tried it with them - but a blood test ASAP, and in any case within 24 hours, settles it either way.

Most were just that they couldn't handle the amount they had drunk and felt that they 'must' have been spiked, but 3 or 4 were water infections, so a bit of a recurring medical theme there.

Funnily enough, there is a spate of it going on in Northampton at the moment and from what I'm hearing for the first time the victims consistently have been slipped something, so it genuijely appears some little sheet is doing the rounds trying it on.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As said, most claimed cases I've come across have been clouded by alcohol.

There was a nonce who had some date rape drugs in his small stash in his car when he was arrested.

He can have had no other realistic use for the stuff, so it's fairly certain he either had used it or planned to use it to incapacitate female children.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ruffies (sp?) A problem in the Alps whilst I was there may moons ago (no not me!) and didn't London taxi rapist use it (Worboys).

Ruffies is, I believe, a slang term for Rohypnol which has been used as a date rape drug because it causes amnesia, although I understand young people also use it as they would other illegal drugs to achieve a 'high'.

From memory (ho-ho), Warboys plied his victims with champagne which did have something dodgy in it.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

According to my student counselling buddy, from the local university, The spiking drugs of choice are Ketamine, Rohypnol and GHB.

The thing is, it’s not just youngsters getting spiked, it happens with older people, mostly women, too.

si_c

Guru
I know several women who have had their drinks spiked in town, one where it ended less well and a few others where a friend put them in a taxi. It's far more common than might be thought, particularly by us men. In a lot of cases the girls just want to get home and get safe, they don't think to have a blood test done and in fairness they're probably lacking any capacity to think that far ahead and the detection window is very narrow - AIUI less than 24 hours.

Definitely worth reporting, both to the bar and to the police, nothing will likely come of it now but at least the bar can raise their awareness and can't fall back on an excuse of it never having happened before if it does.

Edit to add, I'm glad your GD and her friend were both OK, even if a little shaken up.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

The other - on a different programme - was from a woman who had been found half collapsed in a car park outside a bar by a stranger. He took her to a hospital who found drugs in her system. CCTV from the bar showed her having only a single and showing no sign of being drunk until after she left her drink for a few minutes.

sympathies to anyone with kids who have just gone off to University or something - must be worrying
I wish I had met that senior police officer. As an ex police officer I could have told him what its like to have your drink spiked. I spent 12 years in the military as a single man, mostly in Germany. I drank a lot. Alcohol was really cheap and we were in the bar every single night. I know what its like to go on a bender and get totally smashed out of your head. But I could always get myself upstairs in the barracks to go to bed. No matter how bad i was. I could always find my bunk. When I got my drink spiked it was far worse. I had not even finished drinking my first can of the night when I started feeling the effects. It was so pronounced I knew immediately that something was wrong and I needed to get out of there. Within a very short time I was totally incapacitated. It was like being extremely pixxed, but most of the time it seemed like you were unconcious. I got put to bed about 9pm and could not operate until about 3pm the next day. If thats the effect it has on a hardened drinker. Most people have no chance, especially if your guard is down after a few drinks. It is an awful situation to be in.

Drago

Legendary Member
The symptoms you describe were pretty much as my victims told me.

But not one had anything in their bloodstream othher than alcohol, and usualy very high concentrations at that, so it is not possible to go by ones own impressions when determining the truth of the situation.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
The symptoms you describe were pretty much as my victims told me.

But not one had anything in their bloodstream othher than alcohol, and usualy very high concentrations at that, so it is not possible to go by ones own impressions when determining the truth of the situation.
My understanding is that depending on how quickly someone us tested has a huge effect on detection because things like Rohypnol don’t stay in the system for more than a few hours.

Zimbob

Über Member
A nasty business, glad your GD is okay. There really are dome scumbags out there, as other posters have mentioned it would be worth reporting...
I had it happen to me a few years ago, got spiked with LSD, not great fun.... Luckily I was with a friend, and owing to a mis-spent period in my youth I recognised the effects. For someone who didn't have experience I imagine it would have been terrifying.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It's happening a lot. My granddaughter had her drink spiked a couple of weeks ago in Aber. Her friends found her slumped on the floor near the toilets. Her handbag, keys and debit card was missing. They took her home and called her parents. She only had 4 drinks and 2 of them she gave to her friends. It's a frightening situation that seems to be getting worse.

I'd love to get my hands on whoever did it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
My understanding is that depending on how quickly someone us tested has a huge effect on detection because things like Rohypnol don’t stay in the system for more than a few hours.
It depends. I know of one case in which a teenage woman claimed to have been assaulted, with no recollection of the event, but didn't go to the police for five days so outside the detection window for a lot of drugs in blood and urine. The recommendation was to wait for another four weeks and then provide a hair sample. For some drugs hair gives a sort of timeline and by sampling different portions along the length of hair the toxicologists were able to show the presence of GHB in her system at the time of the alleged assault.

So even if you think you may be outside the drug detection window it still may be possible to submit a useful sample which can be used as evidence. A forensic toxicologist should know what they're doing.

Top Bottom