Our mini tour this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

Finally off on our first weekend bike tour. Not a biggie.....around 40 miles from home to Wells-next-the-sea. Overnight in Wells and then take a different route home hopefully reducing the miles.

Really excited.....but a little nervous too. The most mileage we've done is 25 on unladen bikes but we did pootle and have a couple of stops. It took us about 3 and a half hours so reckon spending the whole day doing 40 will be fine. We aim to head off around 8 am so we'll have plenty of time. Guess as long as we eat well over next couple of days and during/post ride, we'll be fine.

Luckily as we are staying at the YHA rather than camping, we only need to take basics with us. Think my pannier will be full of food more than anything else. Just been reading up on nutrition tips on here....off to make some Flapjacks later!

Will bore you all with some piccies soon enough.

Bigtallfatbloke

The fish n' chip shop in Wells saved my life last summer in the freezing cold tipping rain mini ice age they called August.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Have an amazing time - hope the weather is kind. Enjoy every moment, take loads of photographs!! If you leave early ish (9am) you have the whole day so there's no pressure to go fast!!

Jammy girl...

Bigtallfatbloke

If the hostel in Wells is full try the hostel at Burnham deepdale along the coast a bit...I liked it, nice and friendly.

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Back safe and sound! Had a lovely ride up to Wells on Friday. It was only about 40 miles and we had a nice leisurely pace. Felt really chuffed when we got to Wells although my knee was playing up a bit, which hasn't happened on the bike before. Used to get knee pain when descending hills when we used to do alot of hill walking. Also had a bit of sunburn from not applying enough sunscreen! Felt a bit disheartened with our achievement when a chap turned up on his new carbon roadie saying he'd just clocked 110 miles and had cycled down that day from Nottingham! One day maybe!

Nice evening in Wells - spent the night at the youth hostel which was a bit noisy as there were a couple of families in. OK though. Saturday dawned....erm.....considerably windy and wet! Hey ho....off we went. Quite nice cycling in the rain actually until the thunder and lightning struck! Knee got worse and so when we got back to Kings Lynn, decided to get the train as each revolution of the pedal was really painful! Bit worried about that but feels fine again today.

Anyway.....it was fun. Not sure my overweight, ageing body is up for any big tours. Might continue with small weekend ones for a while and see how I go.

So here are some piccies:

DSCN2463.jpg

DSCN2480.jpg

Cathryn

Legendary Member
So glad you had fun!! There will ALWAYS be someone who's ridden further, harder and quicker than you, so don't even TRY to compare achievements. Did you do what you set out to do? Did you enjoy it? Do you think you were happier than he was? If so, leave him to his carbon century!!!!

Cycling in the rain is okay as long as you're warm. If you're cold and wet, it's a whole world of pain. If you're warm, it's strangely okay!!

Go and check that knee out!! Do you know a good physio? There's a good thread on knee pain (esp ITB) on the Health & Fitness forum. I think you're wise to build up your miles gently and slowly!

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Thanks for that Cathryn.......had a look at the threads and it definitely sounds like ITBS. Guess going from no more than 10-15 mile rides regularly, up to 40 miles with panniers was probably to blame! Bit keen really. Luckily I can get some physio organised through work so will give them a ring tomorrow and get some advice. Will try the RICE and NSAIDs today and see how it goes.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It's a right pain, ITBS. Try and get some ultrasound - it's amazing!!! In the meantime, ibuprofen gel is good if you're on tour and want to keep cycling, although not for days and days.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Well done Janey. I envy you 'cos I adore the Norfolk countryside especially the north coast. I first went Norfolk over forty years ago as a kid and fell in love with it then. Made great friends in Burnham Market and still go there regularly. Some of the finest cycling around.

Top Bottom