Outrun a policeperson??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I think i could. The ones around here ride in the highest gear they have, push the bike up some of the small hills and ride in the gutter. I keep wanting to see one when i'm out, just so i can pass them when i'm going fast.
Not sure i would just power away if the did want to stop me, i would just stay at my normal speed and see how long they can keep going, or if they come up behind me.

Maz

Guru
What crime would you commit first in order for them to give chase?

Maz

Guru
Would I get nabbed for wearing my hi-viz P-O-L-I-T-E vest for impersonating a pleeeeese officer?

jashburnham

Judging by the City of London bike police I've seen then outrunning one would be rather easy on a roadie. But, yeah I'd imagine the combo of radios, cctv and squad cars would get you if they could be arsed.

Plax

Guru
Very interesting. We don't have cycling police officers round these parts. What kind of gear do they wear? I take it they don't wear the body armour & load vest with the cuffs, radio and baton on too do they? Or the steal toe capped boots? I guess the weight of all that would give them a distinct disadvantage!

simonali

Guru
I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a bicycling bobby. You must all live in the metropolis?

yenrod

Once a long long time back I was with a then friend (he moved away lost touch....early teens) I was, with him, riding around the local shop/pedestrian and we happened upon an area where we seen a PC with a load of kids around him walking in our direction - he called us for some reason and for some reason we rode off him shouting after us...anyway we thought that was that but we where still aware.

Anyhow, lucky me, I nearly rounded a corner and he jumped me him on foot me on bike I nearly but NEVER got away - instead 'we' rebounded off a big shop front window (I was waiting for the pop - and cuts) but we ended on the floor I got heaven scared out of me - as I wasnt a bad lad when younger considering what I went through...

So, from that experience, and from being a law clerk, I feel that questioning from a PC or whomever of authority is most unneccesary in a lot of aspects..but obviously their are situations that need a conversation between a Pc or such like but most of the time the police are just too heavy in approach to talking to people.

NEVER GOT TO KNOW WHY HE WANTED US that night...

Plax, in Sussex we still have to wear our body armour which is really fun in summer especially when combined with a hi-vis, and all that over a shirt and tie!!!!!!! The helmets are the most unventilated I have ever seen. The gloves are OK, the winter ones are very toasty. Trouser wise we wear Level 3 PSU trousers, these are bloused at the bottom and have cargo pockets, boots are some version of the Hi-Tec Magnum. The bikes themselves are Smith & Wesson (yes!) MTBs.

The wish list for improvements is long but unlikely to materialise due to lack of funds.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
A summer night last year I was cycling thru a backstreet between Elephant & Castle and Kennington Rd. I took a turning onto a cycle path at the end of a row of houses where a group of men were standing under the streetlight.

They all turned to look when I approached, so I said 'Good evening'.
One of the men broke from the group and started running after me trying to grab at my rack, shouting 'F*ck Off', so I dutifully pedalled furiously away.

I found a spot to catch my breath and was quite seriously confused as to what that had all been about, until a thought dawned on me.......

I ride a silver MTB, I was wearing my silver & black lid, a black t-shirt with a Hi-Vi, black shorts and boots.

Not too dissimilar from mounted PCSOs and MTB Police?

Obviously I probably only disturbed some nafarious activity and needed seeing off but the thought was chilling enough.

T x

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
"Outrun a policeperson??"

Watching 'road rage' the other night, you'd just end up getting to their mate 50yards up the road a bit faster...

Top Bottom