Overnight in Cheshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Same theory with the camping gear here, and sometimes people are amazed at the stuff I carry but its the same kit I actually carried when backpacking I just have a different tent when cycling. IMO worth it for the comfort after all its a break, not an ordeal to be endured.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Same theory with the camping gear here, and sometimes people are amazed at the stuff I carry but its the same kit I actually carried when backpacking I just have a different tent when cycling. IMO worth it for the comfort after all its a break, not an ordeal to be endured.
Totally agree raleighnut. I too am from a backpacking background and still have the odd foray. My other half does lots of backpacking (she's off on Kinder tonight) and we tend to share the kit for the most part. We mostly use the same tent, a two person (even when on our own) Terra Nova Superlite Voyager. And we'd both agree with your comment re comfort.
The only significant difference between cycle camping and backpacking IMO is that a modest increase in weight is less noticeable on a bike.
Both cycling and in the hills we tread a middle line between light weights (we use a lot of state-of-the-art kit) and comfort. Enjoyment is the key for me, not, as you say, endurance.

Really nice report.

I still think Thorns look damn odd though and I'm normally one for function over form with these things.

Clearly it is the business though.

Last time I went past Jodrell on two wheels (or any) I was on a Vespa.

all the best

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
How far down the canal is the Tea Cosy café Geoff? I'm always on a road bike so could I get there? Might be a useful one to know

I googled it and only found this shocker in "Narrowboat World".....seems they have their fair share of berks, just like any other pastime

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/emails/7177-email-illegal-trading

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

How far down the canal is the Tea Cosy café Geoff? I'm always on a road bike so could I get there? Might be a useful one to know

I googled it and only found this shocker in "Narrowboat World".....seems they have their fair share of berks, just like any other pastime

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/emails/7177-email-illegal-trading
Ha ha. Yeah, "Narrowboat World"! I can only imagine. Bit like "Cycle Chat" eh? :whistle:
It's not too far Nicky; maybe 5 minutes or so. Can't miss it really. Just before another small cafe in a building on the right.
Guessing you're pretty competent on your roadie, I reckon you could get there, takin' it steady. I think I could.
BTW The lady running it IS trading legally as I understand it. She did share some of her story ... lots of silly, pointless bureaucracy ...

galaxy

Veteran
Always love your write ups, bike looks great too and in my favorite colour. Love getting away in our Caravan and taking our bikes and walking gear , maybe we will bump into you one day lol.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Always love your write ups, bike looks great too and in my favorite colour. Love getting away in our Caravan and taking our bikes and walking gear , maybe we will bump into you one day lol.
Very kind thank you.
Off up to North Pennines and Coquet Valley with the van next week. Chrissie's backpacking and wild camping for a night with our lab, I'm cycling and elderly boxer sitting and we'll all do some hillwalking together.
Enjoy your travelling.

Top Bottom