Own your own Deltic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The same one. Carry straight on past the petrol station on your right. It was visible from the road at one point.
I often looked for it, when I went that way, up to 'Woodentops' events. but it may have gone when I started them (first was Jan 2010)

Even all those Sierras have gone now!!!
Motoring. Ford. Birch Brothers. 1.JPG Motoring. Ford. Birch Brothers. 5.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member
As far as I'm aware, he sold the engine then the airframe. Moved out of sight when the engine went.

Lonestar

Veteran
How ironic...Standing in Bournemouth Station (@11AM) today the older farts than me gathered on the bridge with their cameras.

So me thinking yet another steam engine great (yawn)...I almost fell down when 55009 (9009) "ALYCIDON" rolled up the platform with it's BR Mk1 coaches and M prefix and coach numbers with it just like the BR days plus the old livery on the coaches from roughly that time and about 11 coaches...although I hadn't counted them.That's the first deltic I've seen since 1981.

I went into a timewarp there and it was wonderful to hear the NAPIER sound again.

Don't get me wrong.I like steam engines and they have a lot of character but they are a bit before my time.

So 55009 was originally a Finsbury Park machine like my favourite 55007.I used to live in Finsbury Park till I moved to the east end in the early 70's.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
To clarify, the Harrier GR.3 from Tolworth that's the subject of the DM article hasn't flown since 1990.
The "Raggalds Inn Murder" was after it was delivered there.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The "Raggalds Inn Murder" was after it was delivered there.

No, the Harrier from Tolworth that was the subject of the DM article was roaded to Queensbury in January 2015. You're probably thinking of one of the previous Harrier restorations that they have done:

http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/project-galleries/

Though none of the ones in the photos appears to have arrived in an airworthy condition.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, the Harrier from Tolworth that was the subject of the DM article was roaded to Queensbury in January 2015. You're probably thinking of one of the previous Harrier restorations that they have done:

http://www.jetartaviation.co.uk/project-galleries/

Though none of the ones in the photos appears to have arrived in an airworthy condition.
The "Raggalds Inn Murder" was in 95. I said I thought he'd sold the engine seperate from the airframe

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The "Raggalds Inn Murder" was in 95.

Alas, that didn't make the newspapers round here. :rolleyes:

I said I thought he'd sold the engine seperate from the airframe

Previous Queensbury Harriers have gone to Canada, New Zealand and Greece, so one or more may well have been shipped engineless.

The latest restored Harrier is being offered for sale in ground running condition:

classic33

Leg End Member
Alas, that didn't make the newspapers round here. :rolleyes:

Previous Queensbury Harriers have gone to Canada, New Zealand and Greece, so one or more may well have been shipped engineless.

The latest restored Harrier is being offered for sale in ground running condition:

Made it in America.

I was using that to get a date.

Top Bottom