Oyama CX16D (disc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I just took an 8 mile ride on this baby, with almost constant ocean headwinds, and she was an absolute pleasure to ride. Stiff, responsive, actually geared nicely for my needs. I'm definitely quite impressed with this little gem. And the 70 psi Schwalbe Big Apple tires were so wonderful on the bumps, cracks, and potholes I encountered by the bay. She's a definite keeper.

I think we would all be interested in an update when you've been using it for a while. How well does it work after 1000 miles? Are there any rust issues? What's the longest comfortable ride? All good stuff.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's quite reminiscent of my much beloved ID9...

2022-carrera-intercity-disc-9-speed-folding-bike.jpg

The ID9 has hydros and Sora, but the general flavour seems quite similar. The rear end on the Oyama is intriguing.

OP
OP
tds101

tds101

I think we would all be interested in an update when you've been using it for a while. How well does it work after 1000 miles? Are there any rust issues? What's the longest comfortable ride? All good stuff.
As long as I actually ride it. I have a bad habit of acquiring bicycles, then not having any free time to ride them. It would most likely take me a few years to hit 1000 miles,... :tongue:
It's quite reminiscent of my much beloved ID9...

View attachment 686693

The ID9 has hydros and Sora, but the general flavour seems quite similar. The rear end on the Oyama is intriguing.
I'm totally unaware of what the groupset is, so I'm lost on that one. As for the rear of the bike, I'm seeing that Oyama has been doing this with some of their folders. I believe it might be to strengthen the rear. Their bikes are supposedly rated for heavier riders. I'd wanted the hard to get Java Fit, but it was unrealistic to have it shipped to the USA (unfortunately).

Nice bike, the frame looks a lot like the one on my Dahon Mu XL. I think that style has been used on several alu folders and won't worry about strength issues - the "chainstays" are relatively short, only needing to support at 20" wheel. It does have the theoretical advantage that it could be converted to belt drive...

Drago

Legendary Member
Been idly googling. The brand is available over here too, and not badly priced considering the design and spec. Some of them are Tiagra equipped, so decent gear.

Nice to see so e brands have moved into the 21st century with discs in folders. Wouldn't be without them on the ID9.

tinywheels

Über Member
Been idly googling. The brand is available over here too, and not badly priced considering the design and spec. Some of them are Tiagra equipped, so decent gear.

Nice to see so e brands have moved into the 21st century with discs in folders. Wouldn't be without them on the ID9.

Brompton might come up with a disc sometime around 2050.
They are lagging behind in a no of areas.

Drago

Legendary Member
Had a root wound on the Oyama website. Genuinely very interesting. Taiwanese, been making bikes since 1966, named after their founder Mr Oyama Wang.

As well as their own branded bikes - they do MTB, road and ebikes too - they make bikes/frames for other companies.

Now, I thought tds's Oyama reminded me of my own Cwrrera Intercity Disc 9. Well, there may be something in that.

Oyama folding ebike...
CXE8D_752x490.jpg

Carrera folding ebike...
Carrera-Crosscity-Folding-Electric-Bike-2020.jpeg

Aside from the brakes and paint the frames appear to be identical, so it seems likely that Oyama are supplying bikes with the Carrera name. Even the drive trains and batteries are the same.

Last edited:

tinywheels

Über Member
Had a root wound on the Oyama website. Genuinely very interesting. Taiwanese, been making bikes since 1966, named after their founder Mr Oyama Wang.

As well as their own branded bikes - they do MTB, road and ebikes too - they make bikes/frames for other companies.

Now, I thought tds's Oyama reminded me of my own Cwrrera Intercity Disc 9. Well, there may be something in that.

Oyama folding ebike...
View attachment 686975

Carrera folding ebike...
View attachment 686976

Aside from the brakes and paint the frames appear to be identical, so it seems likely that Oyama are supplying bikes with the Carrera name. Even the drive trains and batteries are the same.

separated at birth!

Top Bottom